Every wondered why Apple has so many dongles?

hero11

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Re: Ever wondered why Apple has so many dongles?

Its an extra profit revenue and this strategy has been enforced under Cook's management. In short, it's not practical for users but profitable for Apple.

Last edited:

anon(8910885)

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
There has been a shift in Apple's culture since Steve Jobs. Under Tim, Apple has profitted so much given the lower market share of iOS compared to Android. And I think this culture affects how Apple sells, more profit oriented, and dongles is a huge market to profit. For example in order to sell Lighting cables (third party ones), manufacturers are required to pay Apple for incorporating the Lighting design. And so many people have iPhone now. Not to mention - because the 7 has been a huge hit, it means growing demand for "dongles"/ Lighting headphones. More revenues streams for Apple.

hero11

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
I don't like the way Apple is going with this. Apple is flooding the market with more dongles and therefore contributing to produce more electronic waste.

Xenden

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I think the real problem isn't the dongels; it is that accessory makers haven't adopted the new usb-c technology fast enough.

Alexnewguy

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
Meh, I don't like the way they're doing things either. The web is full of Apple being the new Microsoft and vice versa. If Apple wants a computer with only USB-C and the rest of the market is lagging behind, then IMO Apple should also produce hardware which works with USB-C... what ships with the new iPhone is a bad example of this; you can't straight up connect it to a new mac pro either....it needs...DONGLES o_O
And let's be serious it'll take long enough for cameras to move away from SD cards that by the time it's done, the skylake in the new mac will be redundant (ports alone don't make it future-facing). Rant over :D

sergeykrasilnik

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Because they are temporary. Everything will become wireless in the future. And Apple don't want to wait that long, so they got rid of many different ports. I think that majority of people don't need them as well as dongels. At least I don't need them at all.

groy22799

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Dongles are unfortunately necessary when fully utilizing new tech like TB3.1. Sure, they could have integrated legacy ports, but when you are creating something as efficient as they were trying to create with the MBP, the additional ports would hinder progress. Profits...yes, but I feel it is more related to progress. Just my opinion. That video is hilarious, BTW. :)

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Removing the head phone jack was a purely $$$-oriented decision. I for example wouldn't want to use bluetooth connected headphones due to the simple fact that I don't want to be forced to charge my headphones all the time + battery life is extremely shorter on your phone when you use a bluetooth connection.

brian_84

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I don't believe this for a second. It's such a short-sighted approach and I can't believe one of the most cash rich companies in the world would turn to screwing the consumer for a few bucks here and there. They've also just cut the cost of their USB dongle I think? They're definitely too expensive, but they can't give them away for $2 each then expect you to pay over the odds for regular lightening cables.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
then IMO Apple should also produce hardware which works with USB-C... what ships with the new iPhone is a bad example of this; you can't straight up connect it to a new mac pro either....it needs...DONGLES o_O

...or, you could purchase a USB-C to Lightening cable from Apple and be able to connect your iPhone directly to one of the USB-C ports on the MacBook/new MacBook Pro's without a need for a dongle to do so...
https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...mUvbUpU2855457%26subId2%3Dvbim&token=3d4jJQlZ
The one meter length version of the cable costs $19.00 USD, there is also a two meter version available as well. Yes, it is an additional expense, but, purchasing new cables instead of dongles could be another option. As well as waiting for cables that have one end as USB-C, and the other end being an HDMI/mini display port/USB-A end, or other type of end (connector).

Xenden

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't think dongles are the problem, I think the problem is that the industry is just too slow to adopt new standards. If we had mice and usb sticks are hard drives using usb-c or thunderbolt 3, there would be no problem with the new MacBook Pro.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234