Apple Sets the Bar Again

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Apple fanboy, though I know many will say I am. Yes, I have an iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, and MacBook Pro, that's only because I enjoy Apple products and the user interfaces. I am a lover of all tech though, and yes I pre ordered an iPhone 7 Plus. So what's this about? This is about Apple breaking the internet again and consuming the media. The 3.5mm headphone jack is gone. This is not new though, there have been numerous Android phones that ditched the 3.5mm headphone jack already.

Here's the thing though, no one pays attention until Apple does it. The media inhales all things Apple and creates a whirlwind of news posts and forums explode claiming the demise of Apple, how Apple doesn't innovate anymore, and bashes on any major changes Apple makes. The fact remains though that Apple is still one of the largest companies in the world and people continue to buy their products. More than that, when Apple makes major changes the world follows, simply because of the media coverage. Look at the rise of mp3 players due to the iPod. The touch screen interface becoming mainstream due to the iPhone, thinner lighter laptops lacking disc drives due to the MacBook, wireless payments due to Apple Pay, Apple sets the bar.

There's no reason why Apple should set the bar, that's just the way it is. Now they've removed the 3.5mm headphone jack. The internet is flooded by the hatred behind this decision and the need to buy adapters in the now. However, the world will follow. Bluetooth headphone will become much more popular, as will new lightning headphones. Chances are in the next couple years it will be hard to find a phone with a headphone jack. Even in the world of Hi-Fi audio, I predict to see a larger stride in Hi-Fi companies making better bluetooth headphones because they know many people use their phones for audio, which I will never understand. Shout if you must, just remember the world follows Apple, things will get better in a world without the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Apple fanboy, though I know many will say I am. Yes, I have an iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, and MacBook Pro, that's only because I enjoy Apple products and the user interfaces. I am a lover of all tech though, and yes I pre ordered an iPhone 7 Plus. So what's this about? This is about Apple breaking the internet again and consuming the media. The 3.5mm headphone jack is gone. This is not new though, there have been numerous Android phones that ditched the 3.5mm headphone jack already.

Here's the thing though, no one pays attention until Apple does it. The media inhales all things Apple and creates a whirlwind of news posts and forums explode claiming the demise of Apple, how Apple doesn't innovate anymore, and bashes on any major changes Apple makes. The fact remains though that Apple is still one of the largest companies in the world and people continue to buy their products. More than that, when Apple makes major changes the world follows, simply because of the media coverage. Look at the rise of mp3 players due to the iPod. The touch screen interface becoming mainstream due to the iPhone, thinner lighter laptops lacking disc drives due to the MacBook, wireless payments due to Apple Pay, Apple sets the bar.

There's no reason why Apple should set the bar, that's just the way it is. Now they've removed the 3.5mm headphone jack. The internet is flooded by the hatred behind this decision and the need to buy adapters in the now. However, the world will follow. Bluetooth headphone will become much more popular, as will new lightning headphones. Chances are in the next couple years it will be hard to find a phone with a headphone jack. Even in the world of Hi-Fi audio, I predict to see a larger stride in Hi-Fi companies making better bluetooth headphones because they know many people use their phones for audio, which I will never understand. Shout if you must, just remember the world follows Apple, things will get better in a world without the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Outstanding!...��

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't think haters are going to hate but more Apple users are passionate about things than android users. So the things android people were used to and apple started doing were normal for us android people but then apple users praise it because of their passion so you hear more about it. Also the news outlets cover them more than any other brand because of that. After a galaxy event you hear the news on tech sites. After an Apple event I see it on my local news. It's just how things go with them.

I'm typing this on a 6S btw also so I'm not a fanboy. I just know both ends because I usually switch between os's every year or so.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't think haters are going to hate but more Apple users are passionate about things than android users. So the things android people were used to and apple started doing were normal for us android people but then apple users praise it because of their passion so you hear more about it. Also the news outlets cover them more than any other brand because of that. After a galaxy event you hear the news on tech sites. After an Apple event I see it on my local news. It's just how things go with them.

I'm typing this on a 6S btw also so I'm not a fanboy. I just know both ends because I usually switch between os's every year or so.

Yes, and unfortunately that's why Apple rules the mainstream and sets the bars and standards. It seems no one listens (except tech enthusiasts) until Apple does it. Sadly it doesn't matter who does it first, all that matters is when Apple does it.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
To be honest, I'm never surprised when apple release a product only because I know they are going to do a top notch job on the product. Apple is A1 in my book

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, I'm never surprised when apple release a product only because I know they are going to do a top notch job on the product. Apple is A1 in my book

They do a great job at taking some other companies ideas and polishing it to work well on their systems.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
They do a great job at taking some other companies ideas and polishing it to work well on their systems.

Exactly.
Personally I don't give a fig about who does it first, that is meaningless to me.
But when Apple decides to put something forth, let's say Apple Pay for example.
Google Pay was first, but I would never trust my financial information to Google.
I've never had ANY issues with Apple Pay.
I won't even try the newest and bestest put out by Samsung et al.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Exactly.
Personally I don't give a fig about who does it first, that is meaningless to me.
Google Pay was first, but I would never trust my financial information to Google.

Google and Apple I feel would be the same as far as security to its users. To each their own.

I have been using Apple Pay in a lot of places lately.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

The 3.5 mm headphone jack is borrowed tech from the audio world. As far as I know, bluetooth headphones are not even capable of getting the same audio quality as wired headphones. Not to mention that bluetooth alternatives are way more expensive when compared to wired headphones of similar quality. As long as the mainstream still uses them, they are not going away any time soon. The brands that removed the headphone jacks are also brands that not as many people purchase from hence the lack of publicity surrounding them. If Samsung had done this before, there would've been the same level of reaction. Just my $0.02. :D

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Exactly.

They're just as secure. Apple just advertised more about it and made it simple with Touch ID, something that wasn't widespread when Google Wallet was announced. The funny thing was that a few years ago Apple didn't seem to be interested in the NFC technology that makes Apple Pay possible and were trying to find an alternative. What I'm trying to say is that companies copy each other all the time and whoever makes it easier and seem more safer to use wins.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The 3.5 mm headphone jack is borrowed tech from the audio world. As far as I know, bluetooth headphones are not even capable of getting the same audio quality as wired headphones. Not to mention that bluetooth alternatives are way more expensive when compared to wired headphones of similar quality. As long as the mainstream still uses them, they are not going away any time soon. The brands that removed the headphone jacks are also brands that not as many people purchase from hence the lack of publicity surrounding them. If Samsung had done this before, there would've been the same level of reaction. Just my $0.02. :D

No doubt Bluetooth audio has a long way to go, that's why I'm predicting greater strides in the Hi-Fi audio world for better Bluetooth audio. Time will tell, however I still foresee this being the beginning of the end for the 3.5mm jack.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
No doubt Bluetooth audio has a long way to go, that's why I'm predicting greater strides in the Hi-Fi audio world for better Bluetooth audio. Time will tell, however I still foresee this being the beginning of the end for the 3.5mm jack.

I disagree. Do people really expect Bluetooth to be added (at extra cost) to audio amplifiers, TVs, every seat on every long haul plane, etc? Will people accept that they have to charge their headphones (that's really the killer for me)?

I don't believe that wireless headphones will replace all wired headphones, so we will continue to need a wired headphone connector. Lightning is proprietary to Apple so also can't be a universal replacement. USB-C could be possible I guess, but why not just stick to the current connector?

aokusman1

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
They do a great job and at the same time lack in other departments. I love my 6s but damn the screen needs to be at least 1080p. My opinion anyway. Personally I'm not passionate about electronics and but whatever works for me at the time. I have no brand loyalty.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. Do people really expect Bluetooth to be added (at extra cost) to audio amplifiers, TVs, every seat on every long haul plane, etc? Will people accept that they have to charge their headphones (that's really the killer for me)?

I don't believe that wireless headphones will replace all wired headphones, so we will continue to need a wired headphone connector. Lightning is proprietary to Apple so also can't be a universal replacement. USB-C could be possible I guess, but why not just stick to the current connector?

Yes, Bluetooth is already in a lot of newer TV's, though I don't know anyone who uses headphones while watching TV. Amplifiers will end up being built into Hi-Fi Bluetooth headphones and non Hi-Fi won't have them, just like now. Planes? When has a plane ever been up to date? Planes are too expensive to keep up to date. Charging, if it's true, there's already a set of Bluetooth headphones on kickstarter that supposedly never need charging. So give it time, you're looking at technology solely as it is right now and not where it's going or can go. I was actually surprised Apple didn't go to USB-C this year, they eventually will, and they'll kill their proprietary connector.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73