Do I need a Mac or a PC???

MintBicycle

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
Greetings from the UK.

I'm ashamed to say (on this forum at least) I've never owned an IPhone. After many years of Blackberry, Android and Windows (hmmm, never again) phones I am ready to take the plunge into IPhone heaven.

I've always been under the impression that I need a Mac or PC to make full use of the iPhones' capabilities (iTunes, photo editing, file management, iCloud, etc...) but I do not own either.

My question is thus. Do I really need a Mac or PC to have an IPhone???

Replies would be gratefully appreciated.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I can think of that would make a Mac or PC a requirement would be if you have a personal music library that you want to sync to your iPhone. Everything else can be done without a Mac or PC.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
iPhones do NOT require a PC or Mac, but one can use used to enhance it's functionality. Backups can be made via the computer, HOWEVER you can also use the 'iCloud" to make backups and this works just as well. Also you can use the PC/Mac to enhance the healthkit/health tracking functions, but again the phone can handle it all also. And as Diggity pointed out you would need iTunes on your PC/Mac to transfer lots of music and video to the device. HOWEVER you can also directly buy songs on the phone, or subscribe to monthly music services like Apple Music, Google Play Music, Spotify, etc. Or free services like Pandora or TuneIN Radio.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BTW Welcome to iMore! If you have anymore questions or anything please feel free to ask! :)

greenfebb

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Of course not. I have both a Mac and PC and I can connect to both devices. Granted, it's a bit easier to sync music, photos, etc. with a Mac but after a few tweaks with my PC I was up and running.

Jinal_JCS

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Devices are increasingly made to be used without tethering them to a Mac / PC so you can use it without either. But as already stated, it does improve functionality.

LenaYYY

Banned
Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
If you want to transfer files from your iPhone to computer, then you need one computer. And you can also sync music, photos and other things from computer to iPhone. But you can just download them on your iPhone directly.
I have one iPhone 6, and do not use computer to manage it. By the way, you can upload your photos to some Cloud Drive to backup them, easy to use.

Vikas Dhar

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
Macs appear to be cooler/trendier but they are also a better fit for designers. Apple has carved out a reputation for being the ‘alternative’ choice for those that see themselves as an individual, which is what art is all about.
But it’s not just about image. Macs tend to be the best platform for design and creativity due to the strength of the applications available for it and the fact that Macs are generally high quality computers.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Macs appear to be cooler/trendier but they are also a better fit for designers. Apple has carved out a reputation for being the ‘alternative’ choice for those that see themselves as an individual, which is what art is all about.
But it’s not just about image. Macs tend to be the best platform for design and creativity due to the strength of the applications available for it and the fact that Macs are generally high quality computers.

Let me preface this by saying I own a Mac Book and an iMac, BUT PCs the more affordable more bang for your buck choice. Also you have a better time with app support although its not as bad as it once was.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I think it depends on us. Both are awesome but, To my mind MAC is good because Its a lot of reasons.:)

Yea don't get me wrong I love my Macs! I personally own a 27 inch iMac and a 12 inch Mac Book and would not trade them, BUT you get better bang for your buck business wise with PCs, that's why my office has 62 Dell PCs.

My iMac was about 2k, for that my office can get about 3 PCs!

Last edited:

Ian_Leo

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Not really! Like all said, with a Mac computer it becomes easier to sync your photos, music library etc to your iPhone. Otherwise you can go for either a PC or a Mac computer.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit