Where were you in 1999? What device did you have?

DravenX

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I was 16 and living in CA. I didn't have any devices besides my emachine computer that i bought from being a paperboy.

G.4

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I was a junior and definitely did not have a cell phone of any kind. I don't think I even knew anyone with one in 1999. It wasn't until probably 2001 or '02 that I got my first Nokia "candy bar" phone. LOL

Gazoobee

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
In 1999 I would have been using my trusty (transparent!) Palm III for everything and laughing a lot at my friends eMate.

Cellphones at that point were still only for the rich and foolish. Photography was at that middle state wherein the old film cameras were too clunky and time consuming, but all the new digital cameras still sucked.

Gazoobee

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I was four/five years old. People were talking about the year 2000 doomsday and the Y2K bug. 16 years later, here we are.
A lot of the fear was over the top because people are essentially crazy, but stuff did actually happen. We had rolling blackouts all over my city that day, the phone service was up and down and the traffic lights went out for blocks around my house for most of the day as well.

TomTar7

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I was right here, with an AT&T landline and I believe a Verizon Bagphone bought on a group plan through my employer. The beast was rugged, powerful, expensive as all get out. Because of the cost of the minutes I used it as little as possible. Even in emergencies I would first try to use my CB radio. Remember them? They can actually still come in handy.

TomTar7

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
As to those people who are asking about using record players etc, I am old enough to remember when our home phone number was two letters (which designated the city you were in) and 4 numbers. Ours was something like GT 6971. When you dialed "0" you got a real live lady who could connect you to anywhere in the country.

When my older sister was learning to dance (being taught by a cousin who was very good) she got mad because as the song on the 45RPM record was coming to an end he would stomp hard on the floor to make the needle/arm jump back to get more playing. I guess you could say that was a record hack.

thecaptainjoe

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I was a teenager in high school. The only person in my school with a phone (I paid for myself) and I had a Sony CM-B1200 on Sprint. I remember having to use a pay phone to activate the phone because sprint service was horrible at the time.ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1462054954.354844.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
As to those people who are asking about using record players etc, I am old enough to remember when our home phone number was two letters (which designated the city you were in) and 4 numbers. Ours was something like GT 6971. When you dialed "0" you got a real live lady who could connect you to anywhere in the country.

When my older sister was learning to dance (being taught by a cousin who was very good) she got mad because as the song on the 45RPM record was coming to an end he would stomp hard on the floor to make the needle/arm jump back to get more playing. I guess you could say that was a record hack.

Ours was 2 letters with 1 number. So it was AT2- 8194.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods