Hello,

So here's what I want to do. I want to be able to stream my iPhone to my apple tv, and my mac mini to my apple tv. I heard you need "airdorp" for this, whatever that is. I want to backup my Mac Mini automatically to an external harddrive, possibly the TimeCapsule but do I need an airport express or extreme for that? Can someone explain these terms, and tell me if I can achiev that with this setup:

Mac Mini late 2014
    iPhone 6S
    Apple TV 4
    Lacie Porsche Design External HDD
    --
    Now what is:
    AirDrop
    Airport Express? Airport Extreme??? Airport TimeCapsule?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    iTunes for music? I don't buy music they're all rich enough, can't I just play my own mp3's from my iPhone to AppleTV?
    04-07-2016 10:07 PM
    1. AirDrop is used for sharing photos, websites, location and more between Apple devices.

2. Airport Express, Airport Extreme are routers. Airport Extreme is a base station router, while Airport Express is used as an extender for your network or can be used as a router. Express is mostly used for extending your Wi-Fi network though. Time Capsule is a router and external drive for storage combined. Here is a link to a comparison between the three of them.

3. iTunes is good for organizing your music and videos, plus is good for Home Sharing. Home Sharing allows you to share your music and videos between Apple devices.

You can stream your music to an TV via AirPlay with your iPhone.

Now I use 2 AirPort Extreme's and and Express for my home network. They work very well with all my Apple devices. There are cheaper or better ones on the market though.

I do use iTunes for backing up my iPhone and organizing all my music & movies. Occasionally I use Home Sharing to play one of my movies through my TV. Personally I prefer to use Plex for all my streaming needs though. I have Plex installed on all my devices and it works extremely well. As I have a two NAS I can even remotely access all my movies & music remotely with Plex.

I will let you consume all the info I have supplied you. Should you have any questions please feel free to ask. I have supplied you with links for additional info.
    04-07-2016 11:43 PM
    1. AirDrop is used for sharing photos, websites, location and more between Apple devices.

2. Airport Express, Airport Extreme are routers. Airport Extreme is a base station router, while Airport Express is used as an extender for your network or can be used as a router. Express is mostly used for extending your Wi-Fi network though. Time Capsule is a router and external drive for storage combined. Here is a link to a comparison between the three of them.

3. iTunes is good for organizing your music and videos, plus is good for Home Sharing. Home Sharing allows you to share your music and videos between Apple devices.

You can stream your music to an TV via AirPlay with your iPhone.

Now I use 2 AirPort Extreme's and and Express for my home network. They work very well with all my Apple devices. There are cheaper or better ones on the market though.

I do use iTunes for backing up my iPhone and organizing all my music & movies. Occasionally I use Home Sharing to play one of my movies through my TV. Personally I prefer to use Plex for all my streaming needs though. I have Plex installed on all my devices and it works extremely well. As I have a two NAS I can even remotely access all my movies & music remotely with Plex.

I will let you consume all the info I have supplied you. Should you have any questions please feel free to ask. I have supplied you with links for additional info.
    Oo thanks, this explains a lot.

Do I really need an Apple router or is my default router just fine? The TimeCapsule seems like the best choice right? Both Router and Storage, why do you have 2 extreme airports, do you need a wider range for wifi or?
    04-08-2016 06:03 PM
    Oo thanks, this explains a lot.

Do I really need an Apple router or is my default router just fine? The TimeCapsule seems like the best choice right? Both Router and Storage, why do you have 2 extreme airports, do you need a wider range for wifi or?
    I have two Extreme's and one Express due to having to extend my Wi-Fi network a great distance. My home is three stories and very long. Plus I have extended my network to my detached garage which is a fair distance from my home. I could have went with one extreme and two express, I just got the second extreme at a really good price.

Your default router should be fine. Time Capsule will work also, plus you get the added bonus of the storage. Apple routers work really well with Apple devices and are simple to set up. It is one of the reasons I use them. I have been using Apple's extreme and express routers since they were introduced in 2007 and have never had one fail or give me issues. If you need the storage, the best will be Time Capsule. I have never owned one but I have friends that do and they swear by them.
    04-08-2016 07:22 PM
    I have two Extreme's and one Express due to having to extend my Wi-Fi network a great distance. My home is three stories and very long. Plus I have extended my network to my detached garage which is a fair distance from my home. I could have went with one extreme and two express, I just got the second extreme at a really good price.

Your default router should be fine. Time Capsule will work also, plus you get the added bonus of the storage. Apple routers work really well with Apple devices and are simple to set up. It is one of the reasons I use them. I have been using Apple's extreme and express routers since they were introduced in 2007 and have never had one fail or give me issues. If you need the storage, the best will be Time Capsule. I have never owned one but I have friends that do and they swear by them.
    I see, I guess my house is probably as big as your garage (LOL) as I'm investing all my money in my business. I even sold my bmw recently :<, it's actually a good thing, insurance here in Europe for such a car at my age (21-23) is ridicules. Matter fact everything is expensive here. Thanks for all the info, it certainly helped me.
    04-08-2016 08:55 PM
    I see, I guess my house is probably as big as your garage (LOL) as I'm investing all my money in my business. I even sold my bmw recently :<, it's actually a good thing, insurance here in Europe for such a car at my age (21-23) is ridicules. Matter fact everything is expensive here. Thanks for all the info, it certainly helped me.
    For sure. Insurance for guys your age is expensive here as well. If you have any other questions, please ask. Happy I could help you.
    04-08-2016 10:37 PM