Can Do Not Disturb permit calls and texts from Contacts to ring & vibrate?

I

iMore Question

When Do Not Disturb is activated, is there a way to permit both calls and texts from Contacts to ring/vibrate?

theoriginalsawbones

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Yes.

Can any and all calls or texts, specifically and only from people in your CONTACTS, be permitted, including sounds/vibration, while Do Not Disturb is activated? (The intention is to use Do Not Disturb as a "firewall" to exclude solicitors.)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

That's exactly what it's for. Yes, you can limit to certain contacts or those in your phone app's favorites. Set it in Settings > Do Not Disturb > Allow Calls From > set to your liking.
You would need to set up a contact group if those were the only ones in contacts.
I have groups set up as seen in the pic. But I set it on favorites.
6b051eec20bbb41c185cdf953eada74a.jpg

I used this app to set up my groups. Most do it on a computer. But I figured how with this app.

SA Contacts - Export/Import contacts to/from Excel by Sam Yu
https://appsto.re/us/hwXMw.i

theoriginalsawbones

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Re: Can Do Not Disturb permit calls and texts from Contacts to ring & vibrate?

Thanks.

I put those contacts I would want instant notification from into Favorites and it now seems to work as desired; only calls and texts from those folks give instant audible and vibration notification when Do Not Disturb is activated. (When I'd attempted to accomplish this using all Contacts, everything was screened out, and no calls or texts produced any sounds/vibration.)

theoriginalsawbones

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Re: Can Do Not Disturb permit calls and texts from Contacts to ring & vibrate?

Oh oh, with further use, it looks like sounds will only occur with phone calls (ring), but NOT with text messages, not even for text messages from "approved" Favorites, when Do Not Disturb is activated!

Not only that, but my RING video doorbell notifications are deactivated as well while Do Not Disturb is activated!

What I really need is a way to permit selected contacts to reliably get through to me, while excluding solicitations, recorded messages and surveys. Is there any way at all to accomplish this?
Anybody?

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
My experience is that when DnD is enabled, only calls ring through from those I want. Text from those same people come through with no audible.
Good Luck

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Oh oh, with further use, it looks like sounds will only occur with phone calls (ring), but NOT with text messages, not even for text messages from "approved" Favorites, when Do Not Disturb is activated!

Not only that, but my RING video doorbell notifications are deactivated as well while Do Not Disturb is activated!

What I really need is a way to permit selected contacts to reliably get through to me, while excluding solicitations, recorded messages and surveys. Is there any way at all to accomplish this?
Anybody?

Just use favorites. Add only those you want to get through as a favorite. Works for me.
b4c464bc1f0ce5ac29d34478de94b5cd.jpg

Not much you can do about the doorbell. That's the purpose of DND. To not be disturbed!

theoriginalsawbones

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping that there was some way to permit calls and texts from people you know, and to exclude all others from causing the iPhone to ring or vibrate, yet to still permit such others to leave messages.

I'll bet an app could be devised for that...:nerd:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping that there was some way to permit calls and texts from people you know, and to exclude all others from causing the iPhone to ring or vibrate, yet to still permit such others to leave messages.

I'll bet an app could be devised for that...:nerd:

What does it not do that you want it to do? You can set contacts as favorites. Then while DND is enabled, you still get those, but not others. Isn't that what you want?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711