When an iPhone is replaced in the Apple website shop sales line-up, and Apple say that model is now discontinued.....although it is still for sale in/at many other outlets....how long will that device...roughly...keep getting software updates? Hardware support is 5yrs or so, but from past experience, is software likely to be 6mths, a year, two years, longer?
    Any help here appreciated 😀
    03-23-2016 04:03 AM
    may be it will get updated till next one year
    afl2277 likes this.
    03-23-2016 05:02 AM
    If you're referring to the iPhone 5S, I think it is still powerful enough to probably get iOS 10 and its probable incremental updates, but after that, I don't know. Still, that's just my personal opinion.
    afl2277 and pr1nce like this.
    03-23-2016 07:57 AM
    If you're referring to the iPhone 5S, I think it is still powerful enough to probably get iOS 10 and its probable incremental updates, but after that, I don't know. Still, that's just my personal opinion.
    Yes, the 5s I've just bought. I love the phone, it's perfect for what I need. The only concern is with software updates is any security elements in the updates. I'm wondering if updates will only be supported for a short time whether I will regret my purchase in a year's time...��

I spoke to a guy in Apple tech who talked of hardware support, but was very cagey and evasive about software. So I tried Apple Support on Twitter. This time I was referred to a 'vintage' list which spoke only of hardware. It took a few attempts to get any mention of software and again very evasive. So I thought I would ask on here....from past experience of iPhone use which many on here had or have knowledge of, have previous discontinued devices been supported for a reasonable time. TBH, having bought the device only 7weeks ago I would expect a couple of years support 🤔
    03-23-2016 08:20 AM
    Yes, the 5s I've just bought. I love the phone, it's perfect for what I need. The only concern is with software updates is any security elements in the updates. I'm wondering if updates will only be supported for a short time whether I will regret my purchase in a year's time...
    The iPhone 5S is still a fan favorite and it is still quite powerful. As I stated before, I think it'll get the next iOS release (iOS 10) as well as any incremental updates, and if I had to continue guessing, I say you're good to the fall of 2017. Of course, I have no information whatsoever to support my guess. In any case, continue enjoying your iPhone and don't worry about future support. Heck, I'm still using an early 2009 MacBook....
    afl2277 and libra89 like this.
    03-23-2016 08:31 AM
    The iPhone 5S is still a fan favorite and it is still quite powerful. As I stated before, I think it'll get the next iOS release (iOS 10) as well as any incremental updates, and if I had to continue guessing, I say you're good to the fall of 2017. Of course, I have no information whatsoever to support my guess. In any case, continue enjoying your iPhone and don't worry about future support. Heck, I'm still using an early 2009 MacBook....
    Hun, if you are still using something Apple from 2009, that's good enough for me....

Thanks...
    Just_Me_D and Sherry_B like this.
    03-23-2016 08:37 AM
    Hun, if you are still using something Apple from 2009, that's good enough for me....

Thanks...
    (Laughing)....You're very welcome...
    03-23-2016 08:38 AM
    When an iPhone is replaced in the Apple website shop sales line-up, and Apple say that model is now discontinued.....although it is still for sale in/at many other outlets....how long will that device...roughly...keep getting software updates? Hardware support is 5yrs or so, but from past experience, is software likely to be 6mths, a year, two years, longer?
    Any help here appreciated
    Until Apple determines that legacy devices can no longer run the new software at an acceptable level of performance. Any device that is iPhone 5s or newer will probably get updates for 4-5 years because of how powerful the chips are in them. My iPhone 5 is 3.5 years old and is running the latest version of iOS 9.3 right now with no issues.
    afl2277 likes this.
    03-23-2016 01:08 PM
    Until Apple determines that legacy devices can no longer run the new software at an acceptable level of performance. Any device that is iPhone 5s or newer will probably get updates for 4-5 years because of how powerful the chips are in them. My iPhone 5 is 3.5 years old and is running the latest version of iOS 9.3 right now with no issues.
    Thanks ��

That info, added to the 2009 old laptop info has certainly put my mind at rest.

When I got my 5s it was a considered purchase. Retired, but financially able to buy outright from Apple, I weighed up the specs of the 5s and my usage....and balanced that against the then expected SE which, traditionally with Apple, would possibly be a lot more expensive than the 5s. As it turns out there's not much between the 32GB 5s and the 64GB SE. I knew it wasn't the youngest phone on the website, older tech, but then I'm as old as Noah so I considered me and the 5s well matched. What I didn't expect was for it to be discontinued so soon. My previous brand would leave a device on their website for a while but 'not available ' so everyone would know it was soon being binned.

For 419 it has to last for 2 or 3 yrs...and with the into you've given me about your phone then I'm sure I can stop obsessing....and find something else to get obsessed with ��

Thanks all for your input. I knew I could rely on iMore
    xxx
    Last edited by afl2277; 03-23-2016 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    03-23-2016 01:54 PM