im wondering why nearly all games and apps on itunes get updated so they dont work on lower iOS versions, like whatsapp for instance, this will only work on iOS7 but with my game i can make it work on all iOS versions, wouldnt it be better to cover more devices.
    03-19-2016 02:10 PM
    That's like saying "Why can't I play the latest version of Call of Duty on my Commodore 64?" Technology changes, from both a hardware and a software perspective. Apps may need to utilize certain features only found in later operating systems, or devs may not find it feasible to develop apps to work with an OS that barely anybody is using anymore.
    Just_Me_D and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-19-2016 02:21 PM
    i would agree but as nearly every single one has done it and most are pretty simple games or apps that are not using new features then there must be other reasons, like maybe they just dont know you can set xcode to what you want, plus there arer plenty of 4the gen users out there that are stuck with 6.1.1 so cant use almost anything from itunes any more.
    03-19-2016 02:33 PM
    i would agree but as nearly every single one has done it and most are pretty simple games or apps that are not using new features then there must be other reasons, like maybe they just dont know you can set xcode to what you want, plus there arer plenty of 4the gen users out there that are stuck with 6.1.1 so cant use almost anything from itunes any more.
    If you're in the business of developing software for popular smartphones, you cannot afford to not stay up to date on the OS changes of those updates. Besides, a majority of the updates include support for older devices up to a point before dropping that support. For example, a very small group of people use the original iPhone, but because it is 9 years old, it is limited to what it can do and therefore continuing to support it isn't worth it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-19-2016 03:37 PM
    yes i am in the business of developing apps and games for iOS and most stuff can still be done in 6.1.1 and runs fine on the latest iOS, i can understand if they need to use something new but in my example whatsapp dropped an update that took it off iOS 6.1.1 and added nothing to the app, so they basicly just cut them selves off from plenty of users that they could of kept, it does not make any good sense to do so.
    03-19-2016 03:47 PM
    yes i am in the business of developing apps and games for iOS and most stuff can still be done in 6.1.1 and runs fine on the latest iOS, i can understand if they need to use something new but in my example whatsapp dropped an update that took it off iOS 6.1.1 and added nothing to the app, so they basicly just cut them selves off from plenty of users that they could of kept, it does not make any good sense to do so.
    The likelihood of many of those people updating to a newer device that supports the updated software is high.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-19-2016 03:55 PM
    nows that's it right there, i was hopeing someone would spot that, but i still dont get how that would benefit the dev only seems to help apple out, im guessing that a lot of devs are just letting there mac update its OS and also letting xcode update all the time, not knowing that thjey dont need to do that to stay producing for all versions of iOS, that's whats also happening to windows, most of the devs have upgraded to windows 10, then come back complaining that they can now only produce for 10 and upwards, but if they had stayed on windows 7 then they could of produced there games for all versions, would be nice to hear from other devs on here why they went with not sopporting older versions of iOS.
    03-19-2016 04:06 PM
    They're not just helping Apple out, they're helping themselves by keeping their software updated. They don't want to risk losing customers to a competitor simply because they haven't updated their app(s) to meet the standards of today's tech or their customers' desire to have that app work with the shiny new tech device they just purchased.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 03-19-2016 at 09:45 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-19-2016 04:34 PM
    ye but that's just my point right there, as a dev you dont have to upgrade to support the latest iOS or device that run them, you only need to do that if your app or game uses something that is new to the updated iOS versions, for instance my game will run on any iPhone and iPod touch and any iPad there is, and runs very well on them all and isnt lacking anything that most games have or do.
    03-19-2016 04:40 PM
    A lot of people looking for apps might think am app is outdated or obsolete if it hasn't been updated for a long time. Many people check the App Store to buy apps that are frequently updated, since it shows that the developers care about their apps of they keep updating to add features or improve the user experience.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-19-2016 05:52 PM
    Most recently updated apps will also run on a previous OS. Many are iOS 7 and up. Some are device specific. I'm beginning to see apps that do not work on the iPhone 5.
    Laura Knotek and Just_Me_D like this.
    03-19-2016 06:25 PM