No Antivirus for iOS - Seriously or Just Swagger?

Father Tech

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I've seen it frequently mentioned that iOS devices (like my iPad Mini) don't need an antivirus app. Indeed, there aren't many for iOS.

But is this really true, or is it just tough talk from people who love their i-devices (with good reason!)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

Although there's no guarantee that your iDevices won't get a virus. iOS is one of the most Secure systems in the mobile sphere

That said there are no antivirus programs in the App Store that I know of

Father Tech

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Hey, that probably is the best answer ... but don't I get to mark it 'Best Answer'?

In addition, when a question is marked 'Best Answer' it deters other people from sharing their views.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey, that probably is the best answer ... but don't I get to mark it 'Best Answer'?

In addition, when a question is marked 'Best Answer' it deters other people from sharing their views.
There is no "best answer" to check. There is a "like" option. I see you're new here. Is this also your first forum experience?

Father Tech

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I am new here although I've participated in many forums (and newsgroups before them) for years.

In my view of this forum, an answer to my question was marked "BEST ANSWER" and given a gold star. I have no problem with that. Like I wrote, it probably is the best answer.

Not all forums have this feature, but in the forums I've participated in that do allow an answer to marked as best, it's usually the OP's prerogative to make that call.

But let's not argue.This is one of the most informative, most helpful forums I've seen. I'm glad that I have an iOS device so I can finally be a participant here.

Father Tech

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I still don't see a "best answer" option. Only the heart for a "like". Or the thumbs up in TapaTalk.

That's interesting. I've added two images: The first is my view of the forum when I'm not logged in and the second is my view when I am logged in.

I haven't learned about Tapa Talk - yet.

Not Logged In.PNG

Logged In.PNG

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That's interesting. I've added two images: The first is my view of the forum when I'm not logged in and the second is my view when I am logged in.

I haven't learned about Tapa Talk - yet.

View attachment 102617

View attachment 102618

You must be on computer. That doesn't show on the apps or in Safari online on the phone.

It doesn't show in the TapaTalk browser:
cb02c6fc66847768b4b50c3b421063a5.jpg

But it does in Safari:
ba3c570e9ac4c7b540f31c274f81e024.jpg

None of us see that option to mark as "best answer". First I've seen this.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
And I agree that marking comments as "best answer" may stifle further comments.
It appears only moderators can mark comments that way.

Father Tech

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Correct - I'm on the computer. That's how it looks on Chrome (and also Internet Explorer) on a PC. Haven't viewed this forum any other way.

And it does appear that only mods can mark an answer 'Best.' I know I can't.

For the record: There are indeed very few antivirus apps for iOS in the App Store or anywhere else. Which seems to indicate it's not really needed. If there was an attack on iOS, I'm sure Apple would be all over it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Maybe, but that depends on the question or the type of help that is sought. Sometimes we don't know the answer or need more information from the OP to provide what we deem to be the best answer. Having said that, under many circumstances, the answer marked as the best answer is arguably spot-on, based on the information provided by the OP. As for having a reply marked as the *best answer* possibly preventing members from commenting, I'm sure it does on occasion, however, it can also educate those who might not know or may have been unsure of the answer. Besides, a majority of the threads (typically in the Ask A Question section), an answer is marked as the *best answer* after numerous replies have been made. Anyway, it's not perfect, but it is intended to be helpful to members and visitors seeking specific help to a problem they may be experiencing and it saves them time weeding through probable answers. That's the intent, at least.