Error 53: How much of a concern is this, from a buyer's standpoint?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: Error 53: How much of a concern is this? From a Buyer's standpoint

Makes sense and I can understand. In our case, I believe units are sent to the Apple Store in UAE from Pakistan as there isn't any Apple Store here!

I have to consider myself lucky in that there's 9 Apple stores within 30 miles of my house. But then again, I'll travel a lot farther than that to pick up fish for my fish tanks.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

I'm 80 miles from the closest Apple Store. It's doable, but I'd rather not. It's a shame Apple can't put more stores in areas that don't have one. There's only 2 stores in the state of Alabama.

Wow that's surprising. I guess I should consider myself lucky then having 1 just 10 minutes from home and 3 within 45 minutes.

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

... hy bro good to see some one from pak.. i am wondering who are the authorized apple retailers here in pakistan?

i have almost every iphone and currently owning iphone 6 plus and macbook air...was thinking to get iphone 6s plus..but this error 53 thing driving me nuts ....cuz if u break iphone screen or touch id goes bad on u, u have no option but to send to apple store oversea ...and pay nearly 25 to 30 k pkr to get repair.. but glad u took the courage and bought iphone 6s plus.. good to see some one from pak...keep posting.

Hey! To find the proper authorized resellers in your city, just go here: https://locate.apple.com/asia/en/. Select Sales and then choose Pakistan from the country drop-down and enter in your city name in the search-box. For example, Apple lists the following Authorized Dealers in Karachi, Pakistan: iTech, Future Tech, and Naheed Supermarket.

In my case, I opted to go for Naheed as unlike Future Tech, they provide iPhones with FaceTime enabled, where Future Tech gets their stock from UAE which does not have FaceTime due to restrictions in UAE.

Coming back to Error 53, from what I've learned, this error relates to iPhones that have been repaired and specifically by un-authorized repair-shops. Yes, there have been cases where the error has been encountered when no repairs were made to an iPhone, but those are limited to a few. What's important is that if you purchase from an authorized reseller here in Pakistan, you get the proper 1 year Repairs and Service coverage (which you can extend to 2 years with AppleCare as well, which I didn't opt for yet) and more importantly, if you encounter any issues, you can take it to the shop where you purchased it from and they'll handle everything for you. In case of Future Tech, I've heard they don't charge you anything extra. For Naheed if they need to send the phone oversears, we have to bear the shipment cost which is not more than Rs. 2000/- (i.e. $20).

The first thing I did when I purchased the phone and activated it was check out the coverage by going to checkcoverage.apple.com. Seeing it for oneself is a comforting feeling indeed! :)

Shahzad Ghani One

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

nice that's some new information for me ... good to hear we can send back apple products via these authorized sellers in case something happens to these. yup i always check for coverage before buying iphone by putting serial num from iphone box into apple's service check site... i bought most of the phones from local market and most of them were unlocked 3 to 4 days ago...shop keepers give the explanations that in order to check for any manufacturing fault these phones are activated.. now i would buy from authorized sellers from now on, thanks bro.:smile:

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

There's Verizon and the carriers. And WallMart and etc. But none of those can put in a new battery, among other things. I would need to go 80 miles just to have a battery put in? Lol. There's a lot only can be done at the Apple Store.

But would you risk having some third party person replace your battery or anything on your $1000+ device? Is it worth it for 160 mile round trip? If the third party breaks your device you are making that trip anyway and then it might cost you even more since a non-authorized retailer worked on your phone.

Just my .02 😃

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

But would you risk having some third party person replace your battery or anything on your $1000+ device? Is it worth it for 160 mile round trip? If the third party breaks your device you are making that trip anyway and then it might cost you even more since a non-authorized retailer worked on your phone.

Just my .02

Yeah, that's the point. We need a store here. We're not New York, but the 4 city metro is about 100,000. One small Apple Store wouldn't hurt. LOL

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Yeah, that's the point. We need a store here. We're not New York, but the 4 city metro is about 100,000. One small Apple Store wouldn't hurt. LOL

It's like they over did it in some major cities and then totally left out others.

My fiance's best friend and his wife recently moved to Alabama and had a house built. We went down there to also look at houses with the thought of possibly moving out there. It's bad enough that they don't have a single Portillo's.... but only 2 Apple stores in the entire state may have just helped me change my mind about moving out there. ;)

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Perhaps Apple should look into authorizing repair shops across the country to help their customers when an Apple Store isn't easily reachable to them.

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

It's like they over did it in some major cities and then totally left out others.

My fiance's best friend and his wife recently moved to Alabama and had a house built. We went down there to also look at houses with the thought of possibly moving out there. It's bad enough that they don't have a single Portillo's.... but only 2 Apple stores in the entire state may have just helped me change my mind about moving out there. ;)

Lol! You've got your priorities straight ;)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

The 2 stores are in Birmingham and Huntsville.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

The 2 stores are in Birmingham and Huntsville.

We were looking at McCalla. There was another place where the housing area was called The Bluffs, but I don't recall what area that was (the view was amazing!).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

We were looking at McCalla. There was another place where the housing area was called The Bluffs, but I don't recall what area that was (the view was amazing!).

That's just outside of Birmingham. Not too far from the Store.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site

150 miles to the nearest Apple Store for me. In fact, I've never even been to an Apple Store. I do have apple care on my newest iPhone though. Would probably just rely on the overnight shipping option should my iPhone break.

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
i have almost every iphone and currently owning iphone 6 plus and macbook air...was thinking to get iphone 6s plus..but this error 53 thing driving me nuts ....cuz if u break iphone screen or touch id goes bad on u

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Seems this has become enough of a concern that several law firms are considering launching class action lawsuit against Apple for it. Here's the article.

Seems like law firms tend not to let any money making chance to slip out of their hands...

But then again, the chances of this occurring to anyone with "un-officially" repaired devices is a concern to many.

It's good though, as news like this makes manufacturers work hard to ensure they don't get targeted by law firms!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods