Hi there!
    In another thread someone had asked how to get a short tune onto their phone, and this was the help offered;

Welcome to iMore. You will need to first convert it from a mp3 to a m4r file. This can be done through iTunes.

Here is how:

1. Open up iTunes.
    2. Go to File->Add File to Library->Your_file.mp3
    3. The selected file will be added in the Music Library.
    4. From the upper right corner of iTunes, select Songs from drop down menu.
    4. Right click on the mp3 file.
    5. Select "Create AAC version". This will create a new version of the file, with the same name but other extension (m4a). It appears below the original file.
    6. Now you can right click on the second file in the list and select - Show in Windows Explorer on PC and Show In Finder on Mac.
    7. This file has the m4a extension. Just click on the file extension and rename to .m4r instead of .m4a.

After the renaming of the file, you can upload it to your iPhone through iTunes.
    I'm stuck on the bit after #7. When I try to drag the gotmail.m4r file from my desktop over into iTunes for my phone in the Tones section, it doesn't do anything.

Halp?
    01-21-2016 01:15 PM
    Hi there!
    In another thread someone had asked how to get a short tune onto their phone, and this was the help offered;

I'm stuck on the bit after #7. When I try to drag the gotmail.m4r file from my desktop over into iTunes for my phone in the Tones section, it doesn't do anything.

Halp?
    It should already be in iTunes if you followed the steps. In Step 2, you are importing it into your iTunes Library. Search for it in iTunes as it may already be there. If you do not find it in iTunes.

Try this:

To import it into your iTunes library, go to your iTunes menu bar File>Add to Library... This will import it in, thus allowing you to sync it with your phone. Please let me know if this additional info helps.
    01-21-2016 01:38 PM
    I couldn't find it, so I tried to sync it.. which came up with a box warning me it would remove all my music and re-add it from the library. Came up with some error message about not being able to find songs. The songs are there in the library, but it lost over 500 songs. I had over 2k worth of music. This is my 4th time re-adding music to my phone. *cry*

Edit: I went from 2k songs down to 973. But the tone is there! Just tested it. Now the "You've Got Mail" sound goes off when I get email.

Thank you for helping me with the tone! Now I just need to figure out this disappearing music thing.
    Last edited by Sherry_B; 01-21-2016 at 02:08 PM.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    01-21-2016 01:58 PM