Take your AppleTV into an Apple Store and have a genius look at it. They'll most likely swap it out anyway. We can't help you get over this.
    01-04-2016 09:12 PM
    Take your AppleTV into an Apple Store and have a genius look at it. They'll most likely swap it out anyway. We can't help you get over this.
    Well, I don't want to do that. I just wanted to know if it's ok to have done that so many times already.
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    01-04-2016 09:48 PM
    Well, I don't want to do that. I just wanted to know if it's ok to have done that so many times already.
    I wouldn't keep doing it. Eventually something could go wrong
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    01-05-2016 04:16 AM
    I wouldn't keep doing it. Eventually something could go wrong
    Well, I don't plan to do it really anymore. But wanted to make sure I didn't already damage it. Everything's seems fine though.
    01-05-2016 09:49 AM
    It's things like that. And it's ruining my life. If there was something wrong with my electronics, it would be noticeable right? Does anyone else have similar issues?
    I'm sure a lot people on the internet "have similar issues."

www dot amazon dot com/How-Stop-Worrying-Start-Living/dp/0671733354

Here's the thing, in the end, you're going to die no matter what. And I gather that eventually the universe will collapse in on itself and everything will be destroyed. So, in the long run, nothing matters.

In the short run, a little more (but not much) matters. Things definitely don't matter. Relationships do.

Don't worry. Be happy. www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU
    01-05-2016 01:14 PM
    Does anyone else have similar issues?
    No.
    01-05-2016 06:56 PM
    So these things are pretty durable, right? I'm asking because I was dusting today again and moved the Apple TV, but it tapped against my entertainment center. Again, it's probably not enough to do anything, was just curious.
    01-06-2016 07:19 AM
    i do something like this on 6 plus. Unlock the phone, swipe left and right on homescreen, swipe status bar for today and notification, clear notification, swipe up to check control center everything the same, home button twice to clear all apps except phone app. power off and on. double tap home again. lock phone.
    01-06-2016 07:30 AM
    So these things are pretty durable, right? I'm asking because I was dusting today again and moved the Apple TV, but it tapped against my entertainment center. Again, it's probably not enough to do anything, was just curious.
    Yes, I think its reasonable to assume that the Apple TV should be durable enough to withstand a small tap and horizontal movement.

Why the frequent need to dust? From reading the discussion here, it seems that dusting is causing more angst than it is solving.
    01-06-2016 07:36 AM
    I wouldn't sweat it. It's your OCD playing tricks on you. I have very mild OCD on certain things and I have learned that mostly when I feel these urges, it's the OCD itself, not the thing i'm OCD about.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    01-06-2016 08:48 AM
    Yes, I think its reasonable to assume that the Apple TV should be durable enough to withstand a small tap and horizontal movement.

Why the frequent need to dust? From reading the discussion here, it seems that dusting is causing more angst than it is solving.
    My room gets rather dusty.
    Trees and BreakingKayfabe like this.
    01-06-2016 09:04 AM
    I see. Good that you're trying to keep your gear clean.
    01-06-2016 09:43 PM
    Just for the future: how would I know if something was legit and not just my OCD screwing with me?
    01-06-2016 10:28 PM
    Just for the future: how would I know if something was legit and not just my OCD screwing with me?
    If it explodes.
    reeneebob likes this.
    01-07-2016 01:50 PM
    Y E S!! I cringe when my wife or daughter let our grand-daughters play with their iPhones. My wife's niece also has an iPhone lets her son play with her iPhone. My youngest grand-daughter and my wife's great nephew are the same age, 18 months. I have keep my old iPads and my wife was given an iPad by the company she works for for an anniversary gift.

My wife share my old iPad Air with our oldest grand-daughter. The next 2 oldest grand-daughters use my wife's gift iPad 4 and my old iPad 2. I made a deal with them when I assigned them the use other iPads that they were their's to use and take care of. The iPads can be only used at our house. I figured this would teach them responsibility. I they broke the iPad due to carelessness then that was it no more iPad.

As for my iPad air 2 and my iPhone 6S I am anal about how I take care of them. The iPhone never goes into my pocket. It has a nice protective case on it. I keep in a belt holster when I go out. My iPad has a nice protective case on it. I look at it this way I paid a lot of hard earned money for these "toys" and I'm going to take care of them. Plus if I ever want to upgrade and sell my old device I feel I will get a better deal if it is in "like new, out of the box" condition.

It's just the way I am and my cell phone use goes back 26 year years to my Motorola Bag Phone. So yes I have OCD about my electronic toys.
    01-07-2016 03:33 PM
    I see. Good that you're trying to keep your gear clean.
    My worry was that frequent unplugging could cause wear. But maybe that's if I did it like 100 times?
    01-07-2016 05:27 PM
    You could buy one of those keyboard vacuums, the head is small enough to get around the plugs.
    01-07-2016 06:25 PM
    LOL, to be honest I'm OCD about more than just my Apple products. My can goods in my food pantry have to be aligned and covered down for starters. LOL
    How much would you charge to clean and arrange my life?
    01-07-2016 06:27 PM
    My worry was that frequent unplugging could cause wear. But maybe that's if I did it like 100 times?
    Easy. Do NOT do that. Why would anyone even think about unplugging something 100 times? Stop.
    01-07-2016 06:38 PM
    Easy. Do NOT do that. Why would anyone even think about unplugging something 100 times? Stop.
    I know. I'm not going to do it anymore. I just was worried if there was damage already done.
    01-07-2016 07:42 PM
    I think everyone is OCD about expensive devices they own. I know I would.
    01-07-2016 10:14 PM
    It's a vicious cycle because I keep unplugging it from the post to see if the connection loosened but doing so puts more stress on it. So in my head I go "well, pulling it out it seemed grippy, but what if now that I did it a 14th time it's loose now?" Then I pull it out again to check. Rinse and repeat.
    01-07-2016 10:30 PM
    I am a bit obsessive about my devices, but not to a point that I let it interfere with my life. They are expensive devices and need to be treated as such. I am careful about where I set it down, never put it anywhere near water and do not let anyone except my immediate family touch it. But take it to the point that it interferes with my life, nope! Yes I would be a bit upset if something happened, but it can be replaced.
    nr2d likes this.
    01-08-2016 01:06 AM
    So all told I probably have unplugged the cord from the port around 18 times or so. The picture seems fine though, but I really hope the power cord dosent have wear or is loose now.
    01-08-2016 01:07 AM
    Don't worry so much about it. When it comes to shock damage, these devices and their packaging are designed and tested to withstand UPS drivers throwing them around in the truck. So that's a non-issue, if it doesn't rattle and works when you get it, you're fine.
    And when it comes to usage and/or shock, again, if it's working fine and you see no problems, it's fine. These are solid state electronics, no moving parts (besides a spinning HD in an older computer) in iPhones and Apple TVs, so if it's working fine, it's fine. I get all OCD about my motorcycle and how sitting all winter, even if winterized, is going to affect it, or how a bad gear shift might have just sheared off a few molecules of gear teeth, etc... Mechanical moving parts type things are much more of the types of devices that will "hide" damage until it shows itself at a later time. For instance, buy a brand new motorcycle or car and don't follow the break in rules, rev the engine to the redline in each gear, run it hard when cold, etc... and you can expect the engine/transmission to turn to crap tens of thousands of miles sooner. This is not the case with solid state electronics. If they work, they work (mostly). Obviously you should take care of your stuff within reason, don't drop it, don't get it wet, avoid static shock, etc. But in general, don't worry about it if you are reasonable and it's working fine.
    01-08-2016 04:23 PM
67 123