Can an employer read emails from my personal iPhone?

I

iMore Question

can an employer read emails from my personal iphone?

Hi Gurus,
Recently I recharged my personal iPhone by connecting to my work laptop via USB port in my office. I answered 'Don't trust' to the question 'Trust this computer?' from my phone screen when I connected to laptop. No work email configuration and No employer WIFI connection for my iPhone.

Since all my personal emails accounts are open in my phone, I am wondering if my employer/IT department can invade my iPhone to read my emails, pictures and notes, et al...
thanks in advance...

Moneyfan

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
can an employer read emails from my personal iphone?

Welcome to iMore! While I'm no IT expert I believe your information should be protected, especially because you told your phone not to trust your work computer. That being said, I would make it a best practice not to connect your iPhone to a work computer going forward.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: can an employer read emails from my personal iphone?

Even if you selected "Trust this Computer", your employer would not be able to read the information on your phone simply from you connecting it to that computer.

moneyfan

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
thanks guys. My understanding is Yes. IT department can download/read emails from iPhone. Many business manager/directors are equipped with iPhone so that technical supports have to been provided. I am wondering if there is a software that can transfer information from iOS to Windows. But that is my guess.. Does any IT admin guy know this?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
thanks guys. My understanding is Yes. IT department can download/read emails from iPhone. Many business manager/directors are equipped with iPhone so that technical supports have to been provided. I am wondering if there is a software that can transfer information from iOS to Windows. But that is my guess.. Does any IT admin guy know this?

Well, not exactly, they could probably remote in to the PC and connect to the phone as a USB drive, but I think the email info on it would be encrypted wouldn't it? While they might be able to peak around the structure of the files of the phone, I don't think they would be able to access the emails. I also don't think they WOULD do this from an ethical standpoint UNLESS the employee was being investigated. There might also be legal factors at play here, invasion of privacy (which you MIGHT give up under your employment contract or by connecting your phone). My feeling is unless you are under suspicion or investigation I highly doubt IT is going to go to the trouble.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

in those situations its not so much them getting into the phone .. If you have a work phone typically the email is a email that is setup on a exchange server and pushed to the phone.. IT then can get into your email from the server not from the phone.

any apps i have seen that transfer direct from phone to Windows is for music pics etc. not email . Mostly iTunes alternatives

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
in those situations its not so much them getting into the phone .. If you have a work phone typically the email is a email that is setup on a exchange server and pushed to the phone.. IT then can get into your email from the server not from the phone.

any apps i have seen that transfer direct from phone to Windows is for music pics etc. not email . Mostly iTunes alternatives

Pretty sure the OP is talking about personal emails not work emails. But yes certainly they can see any work emails from the mail server side. Again though except for IF the employee is being investigated or routine checks I highly doubt they are going to the trouble.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner