Parent use findmyiphone to track me, how can I stop them tracking me?

I

iMore Question

Parent use findmyiphone to track me

Hi,

My family is all using the same icloud, my parent activate findmyiphone , they are able to track us. When I try disable it, it will pop us a message and notify. The email and password is under me.

Is there any solution for this? Like limit icloud access to only when lost phone, etc

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Parent use findmyiphone to track me

Hi,

My family is all using the same icloud, my parent activate findmyiphone , they are able to track us. When I try disable it, it will pop us a message and notify. The email and password is under me.

Is there any solution for this? Like limit icloud access to only when lost phone, etc

I'd suggest that you discuss this with your parents.

techi

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site

Yes, it been a long on going issue, my siblings are not tech savvy, so they werent aware of this.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like your parents are smart .. Anything you do will send a email ..
Turning location services off won't work because when they use find my iPhone the phone automatically kicks it back on
Turning it the feature sends a email
Changing the Apple ID password will trigger a email.
As a parent myself I would say where are you going that you don't want me to know.
I say talk to your parents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpham2

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

Is this your phone or one your parents are providing? If they are paying then it is their phone their rules. You could always get your own phone and plan. That way only you have access.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

Take the SIM card out and toss it, just like the movies.
In all seriousness, talk with your folks.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Hi,

When I was your age I think I may have had a pager. My first cell phone plan was 500 minutes a month of talk--texting and data didn't exist yet--and I paid for it myself.

Your parents are geniuses. Leave your phone at home when you leave and they can't track you. Or turn your phone off when you're not using it. Seriously though, you can't turn Find My Phone off without the password.

techi

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site

I do have the password to turn it off, however when they log in they are able to see that i have switch it off.
Well, I am able to buy and pay my own phone, however the issue is I am staying with them and they do use my phone sometime.
My sibling are also 21, considered adult, staying same house, just that they are not tech savvy to even care about this.
I feel uncomfortable with it.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

I do have the password to turn it off, however when they log in they are able to see that i have switch it off.
Well, I am able to buy and pay my own phone, however the issue is I am staying with them and they do use my phone sometime.
My sibling are also 21, considered adult, staying same house, just that they are not tech savvy to even care about this.

IMO It is a good thing to have parents that care enough to keep you safe. Depending on your age they certainly have the right to do what they think is best for you.

If you turn it off you will lose the protection on the loss of the phone itself.

Discussing it with them might make you feel better about why they do it. Just my $.02. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I find it most interesting that you can discuss this with a group of total strangers, but are unwilling to sit down and talk with your parents about this. Just sit down with them and calmly explain your issues, your concerns and your reasoning for not wanting to be tracked when you leave the house. Having that conversation with them may well show them how mature you are (or how immature you are) and might just cause them to at least consider your views on the topic. But coming to an online forum and asking a group of strangers who neither know you nor care for you the way your parents do, and asking them to help you circumvent the controls imposed by your parents really is not the solution that you need.

I sincerely wish that this technology had been available when my kids were growing up. I know that my kids are using some of the same tools to monitor their kids (my grandkids), and I have no problem with them doing so. My grandkids are good kids, but stuff happens.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

Hi,

Nothing wrong with your parents knowing where you are. Me and my sister always let our parents know where we were all the time.

At least your parents care about you.

opehyia

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Talk to your parents and settle trust issues. As a family member you should have open communication with them. Even if you do something to prevent them from tracking you, it will only cause worry on their part. It is best to reassure them that your will take good care of yourself and promise to stay away from trouble. Be open with your feelings to your family members.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
If you really feel that you can't talk to them, (I had that kind of parents), buy yourself a burner phone. You can get one anywhere.
If you need to protect your privacy from your parents, I'm afraid your only option at the moment is to pay for it yourself.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

OP, you say your siblings are over 21 but you don't say how old you are. You could be 19 or you could be 11 (my older sister is ten years older than me) and there is a world of difference between 11 and 19. Heck I know some 21 year old kids who are completely untrustworthy. Being considered an adult is not the same thing as being an adult.
Let's get one thing straight....privacy, when it comes to parent/children relationships, is earned.
If my daughter is acting irresponsibly and her friends are boy crazy and smoking and drinking, I'm not going to trust her her judgement as much as if she showed herself to be reliable, responsible, no drinking or drugs, and friends who are the same way. So I'm comfortable with giving her certain freedoms.

That said...a year or so ago, in Santa Barbara, there was a mass shooter. One parent found out her daughter had been killed through the use of the very feature you want to turn off. Imagine if that daughter had not been killed and her parents had been able to learn that they could have helped her through the use of that feature.
While the world remains a good place filled with good people, there are times when that's not the case. Or there are times when this feature is useful if you go out hiking and get lost. (A family who was lost was tracked in the snow with this feature.)
Sometimes, as young people, we rebel thinking our parents are being nosy. Then we find ourselves doing the same with our own children and we find out parents are simply trying to keep kids safe. They're not being nosy. They're trying to keep you from lapses in judgement that you may not have learned necessary life skills yet. Or they may be trying to keep you safe in a sometimes unsafe world.
Talk to them. If you're mature you may be pleased with what you hear from them. But if you sound as whiny as you do in this thread, you may not.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Hopefully the OP figured it out since this thread is almost a year old...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2