DVD to iphone

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
So handbrake is pretty awesome. I downloaded it quickly and used it to to convert some episodes of The Office, The Simpsons, few movies and the yoga DVD! Then I dropped and dragged into iTunes.

One thing, though, is that two movies scanned and converted OK. But when I looked at the file it was all blurry. The entire movie. I tried the presets on iPhone and Apple TV and the file was still all blurry, more pixilated.

Any help on that? Do I need to change settings? Any Handbrake experts? Thanks.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Not sure. Try also installing VLC (also free). VLC is a video player. I think (haven't done this part myself) that Handbrake can use some of VLC's installed components to help get around the DRM which is installed on almost every DVD. I'm not sure if this pairing between Handbrake and VLC is automatic, a setting in Handbrake, or if VLC needs to be running while you rip the DVD.

I am going from memory here... there used to be a limitation with Handbrake not being able to deal with DRM. To that end, you had to use another app to get around that. That's where VLC cam into play. VLC, because it can play commercial videos, had the code to deal with the whole DRM issue. A later release of VLC (2.0) changed internally and you had to tweak Handbrake to work with it. Not sure if that's still the issue.

But my thought is that if you are able to create a video file from the DVD at all, then the issue would not be DRM. I would look at the presets. I haven't used Handbrake in a while, and when I launched it this morning, it needed to do an update. Afterwards, got a popup saying that my presets were out of date... these are what I now have as presets... and I typically go with the Regular > Normal preset when ripping videos for AppleTV, iPad and iPhone. I just rip it once and use the output on all devices.

Here are a couple of older articles that I had bookmarked for the process of Handbrake and VLC, but understand that they are from a few years ago:

How to rip a DVD using Handbrake ? iPad Learning
VLC 2.0 Breaks Handbrake DVD Ripping; Here's How to Fix It

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Great, Thanks for the tips. I was able to put my yoga DVD into my new iPhone. However the Office and Sinpsons said they could not be synced because try pone couldn't play them. Odd. They're all MP4 and the same format.

I'll get that other program and play around with it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods