Typing, grammar and punctuation

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
For about 8-10 years now I've been using a smartphone of some type. With that, I've become accustomed to the keyboard correcting spelling mistakes, correcting grammar, entering punctuation, and even adding in words that I completely missed.

There are a few things to consider with this innovation:
- human spelling gets worst
- forgetting phones numbers and the likes get easier
- correct punctuation and the likes are lost; the device virtually does it for you
- correct grammar falls by the way side
...to name a few.

With the few items listed above, how will humans cope in about 5-10 years, with basic writing? Yeah, that thing where you use pen and paper?
I heard a story on the BBC news the other day, about a group trying to have cursive writing completely removed from the school curriculum.

We're in for some strange times ahead, no?

I dunno Ivan, and I ain't tryin' to be all pedantic and such, but I'm thinkin' that your first point should be "worse" and not "worst."
Also kinda wantin' to say that it should be "gets" easier, because forgetting is the verb.
And to round things out I'm of the opinion that it should be wayside, not way side.

Now I ain't no grammar or spelling nazi but.....just sayin'....

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
They have already stopped teaching cursive writing in many school districts in the U.S. I find it disturbing. It used to be somewhat of an art form. Plus, the way you write says a lot about you in general.

The english language has been kicked to the curb altogether. I think that if you are not a reader, you are not going to be very good with grammar, punctuation or spelling. Reading is where you somewhat hone your use of grammar, punctuation and spelling and I find that too many people are proud that they don't read and they think anyone that reads a book is some kind of nerd or doesn't have a life. You can see people changing their attitudes for the worse when you get called "the language police" for pointing out that "alot" is not a word. Many take it as an insult to be corrected. Strange days indeed.

Cursive writing was the biggest waste of time in school ever. We spent a lot of time on it throughout elementary school. I got to middle school and on the first day of English class the teacher asked us to do a quick writing assignment so she could get a writing sample from everyone. Someone asked if we should print or write in cursive. The teacher responded; Oh dear never write in cursive...print everything. I don't have time to try to decipher everyone's cursive styles. I never used cursive again; I'm now 30. What a waste of time, we should have learned how to type on a keyboard.

Schools should still teach proper English writing. I barely use any short hand when texting with my iPhone. Type it all out.

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Cursive writing was the biggest waste of time in school ever. We spent a lot of time on it throughout elementary school. I got to middle school and on the first day of English class the teacher asked us to do a quick writing assignment so she could get a writing sample from everyone. Someone asked if we should print or write in cursive. The teacher responded; Oh dear never write in cursive...print everything. I don't have time to try to decipher everyone's cursive styles. I never used cursive again; I'm now 30. What a waste of time, we should have learned how to type on a keyboard.

Schools should still teach proper English writing. I barely use any short hand when texting with my iPhone. Type it all out.

So we should quit teaching cursive writing because you had a lazy, bad english teacher? I think sports is a giant waste of time in school. Maybe we should stop with the silly sports and double down on the ability to use the creative part of your brain.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I tend to disagree with the premise here. My handwriting has evolved over my 60+ years on this rock, and I'd place it somewhere between true cursive (aka "The Palmer Method") and printing. It's probably a function of "speed writing", and personal style. But that does not discount the discipline of properly formed cursive communication. It's a communication medium that is artful, civil and downright dignified.

Just because one middle school English teacher could not be bothered to "decipher everyone's cursive styles" doesn't make it a pointless endeavor. Besides all of that, just imagine the conundrum that would result from hip-hop street slang written in perfect cursive penmanship!

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
See, many have pointed out the flaws in my initial post. So, I am right, smartphones and such do make one 'dumber'.

Now, should it be 'do' or 'does'? See, being English, and speaking to an 'American' public, causes issue for me, too. We, English people, speak differently, and thus write differently...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So we should quit teaching cursive writing because you had a lazy, bad english teacher? I think sports is a giant waste of time in school. Maybe we should stop with the silly sports and double down on the ability to use the creative part of your brain.

They all have relevance...sports teaches discipline and team work, focused creative classes obviously teach varying types of creative function. Cursive writing, to me, should have been something reserved for artistic education, because the truth is, the use of cursive was more of a cosmetic function (with some speed designed into the style).

When I was in college, I took 3 separate calligraphy courses just because I was always interested in learning such, and it was amazing how much cursive played into that style of writing. If a child was approached with an artistic mind set to cursive writing instead of a necessitative requirement kind of route, I think cursive writing would be alive and well today.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
See, many have pointed out the flaws in my initial post. So, I am right, smartphones and such do make one 'dumber'.

Now, should it be 'do' or 'does'? See, being English, and speaking to an 'American' public, causes issue for me, too. We, English people, speak differently, and thus write differently...

Sorry Ivan. I'm not part of an American audience. I wasn't born here. Correct grammar is universal and devoid of slangs. Slangs are, inherently, inappropriate in correct grammar. Try writing a thesis using slangs.

My point was that it was ironic to write a post about spelling and grammar while making mistakes.

In other words, as in anything, one should be careful that in pointing out others' mistakes, one doesn't make any similar mistakes. I have no problem with an occasional error. I do agree, however, that text speak is annoying.

(By the way, it should be smartphones "do" because your noun "smartphones" define a plural number of smartphones.)

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

Last edited:

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
The downside to this thread now (and future posts I may\may not make), is that I feel I can't post without triple checking everything.

I suppose, less is more...

I'm not even sure if what I just typed is grammatically correct. Fact.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The downside to this thread now (and future posts I may\may not make), is that I feel I can't post without triple checking everything.

I suppose, less is more...

I'm not even sure if what I just typed is grammatically correct. Fact.

But Ivan, this was *your* post. One that you felt strongly about.

The issue wasn't pushed on you, you brought it up to the community. And, as happens in communities, members responded. Would you have preferred that folks didn't point out errors in your OP? Perhaps. But that would have been disingenuous.

I've never posted a thread regarding grammar or spelling. But if I had, I would have 1) checked to make sure what I wrote was correct and 2) prepared myself for the responses.

It's similar to a fashion critic who spends time criticising some starlet for what she's wearing, while not bothering to check whether what she herself is wearing can pass the Audrey Hepburn test.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I feel my point was lost on my last post. Me posting it in the first place, was more of a 'see where we are now as a society, and where we might end up'.

To be honest, I know posting to a forum will generate communication and thus replies. I want it to, that's why I partake in forums.
Now, having said that, I clearly didn't look as 'deeply' as I should have, in relation to my grammar, spelling, etc.

Again, I feel my post missed the mark (too scared to use the word its or it's, in case I used the wrong one). Needless to say, I get it...

But Ivan, this was *your* post. One that you felt strongly about.

The issue wasn't pushed on you, you brought it up to the community. And, as happens in communities, members responded. Would you have preferred that folks didn't point out errors in your OP? Perhaps. But that would have been disingenuous.

I've never posted a thread regarding grammar or spelling. But if I had, I would have 1) checked to make sure what I wrote was correct and 2) prepared myself for the responses.

It's similar to a fashion critic who spends time criticising some starlet for what she's wearing, while not bothering to check whether what she herself is wearing can pass the Audrey Hepburn test.

Dr.Grace

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I tend to disagree with the premise here. My handwriting has evolved over my 60+ years on this rock, and I'd place it somewhere between true cursive (aka "The Palmer Method") and printing. It's probably a function of "speed writing", and personal style. But that does not discount the discipline of properly formed cursive communication. It's a communication medium that is artful, civil and downright dignified.

Just because one middle school English teacher could not be bothered to "decipher everyone's cursive styles" doesn't make it a pointless endeavor. Besides all of that, just imagine the conundrum that would result from hip-hop street slang written in perfect cursive penmanship!

I mostly agree with this. Actually, the style of writing called "italic" is much more efficient and IMO more beautiful than cursive. Italic is what should be taught in schools. It's much like a more flowing form of printing and probably something similar to the way your writing has evolved.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
It is non-sense in that regard, but it's also a slippery slope...you just "deal" with it long enough, and you start getting posts like this:

rofl! y u trippin bae? Yallz goin 2 da movie Fri? dat wuld b epic! Jeah!

(it actually confused me while I was typing that, lol)

Yup it's crap. If I hear my children answer someone who ask's them a question with "yeah"instead of "yes" I'll jump all over them. I personally don't care what people think but I will raise my children they way I was raised and to speak properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I literally don't answer messages in text speak. Can't be bothered with deciphering them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods