Typing, grammar and punctuation

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
For about 8-10 years now I've been using a smartphone of some type. With that, I've become accustomed to the keyboard correcting spelling mistakes, correcting grammar, entering punctuation, and even adding in words that I completely missed.

There are a few things to consider with this innovation:
- human spelling gets worst
- forgetting phones numbers and the likes get easier
- correct punctuation and the likes are lost; the device virtually does it for you
- correct grammar falls by the way side
...to name a few.

With the few items listed above, how will humans cope in about 5-10 years, with basic writing? Yeah, that thing where you use pen and paper?
I heard a story on the BBC news the other day, about a group trying to have cursive writing completely removed from the school curriculum.

We're in for some strange times ahead, no?

ChuckG73

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
It took me awhile to get used to not clicking the right spelling of a word I was typing and x'ing it out......Android works the opposite, it shows you the right word and you touch it to insert it...

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The future is like, human will not need to master grammar any more, just the alphabet and how to speak and make sentence. The upper future human will not have to learn anything at all, they will have a chip insert regularly phase by phase into their body from birth till death. That chip will house all info they need to find their way. If a human of that time do something wrong, and government decide to remove the chip, that human will be like an alien in his own house with knowing were he is what is his name. I mean the human brain is going to be helped by chips and stuff like that in the future. Our brain is help by our smartphone today, you don't need to remember contact numbers, appointments are handle by virtual machines for you, your smart phone wake you up and remind you of a several thing during the day. And that's where human will give all his knowledge to machines who will have to carry it on when life will become impossible on earth and anywhere else for biological human.
Evolution is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
It's a combination of laziness, hipster speak, Twitter and human nature.

It's laziness because many people just don't care. The schools stopped teaching phonics decades ago, and many today frankly just don't care what their communication looks like.

It's hipster speak because much the rap culture could not conjugate a verb to save their bloody lives. And many of the hipsters think it's cool to mimic these butchers of the English language.

It's Twitter because the 140 character limit force people to use those texting shortcuts and abbreviations to fit their message into a single tweet.

It's human nature because the automation makes it no longer necessary to "know" things. Another example of this is the ability to remember and manually dial phone numbers. The important ones are stored in our devices' phone books, and we no longer need to remember that Jenny's number is 867-5309 - we simply find Jenny on our phonebook and tap CALL. The same is true of the automated spell checkers, etc. On one hand it's carries a huge convenience factor, but on another, it's a critical piece to the "dumbing down" of society.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The future is like, human will not need to master grammar any more, just the alphabet and how to speak and make sentence. The upper future human will not have to learn anything at all, they will have a chip insert regularly phase by phase into their body from birth till death. That chip will house all info they need to find their way. If a human of that time do something wrong, and government decide to remove the chip, that human will be like an alien in his own house with knowing were he is what is his name. I mean the human brain is going to be helped by chips and stuff like that in the future. Our brain is help by our smartphone today, you don't need to remember contact numbers, appointments are handle by virtual machines for you, your smart phone wake you up and remind you of a several thing during the day. And that's where human will give all his knowledge to machines who will have to carry it on when life will become impossible on earth and anywhere else for biological human.
Evolution is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The anti-Christ and the mark of the beast are upon us. :)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It's a combination of laziness, hipster speak, Twitter and human nature.

It's laziness because many people just don't care. The schools stopped teaching phonics decades ago, and many today frankly just don't care what their communication looks like.

Hell, there are schools that hire teachers that don't know correct spelling and grammar. I graduated from high school back in 2001 and I witnessed the start of the change in front of me. Younger and less educated teachers being hired because there simply weren't enough to hire. Why? Because you really have to have a passion to teach young people to cancel out the sh*tty pay.

What the OP is describing isn't much of a product stemmed from technology, in my opinion. It's a small part amongst things like non-proper schooling, stupid parents, terrible "music", etcetera, etcetera...

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
i try to keep myself in check by attempting to spell every word correctly and with proper grammar and when i do make a mistake and my device corrects it i tend to look at the correction for future reference

What's killing the social sphere is that young kids find it hip to type in word slang and put down kids that try to spell words correctly

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My niece uses "online speak" (or whatever you want to call it) when she sends text messages. I told her that if she did that with me, I wouldn't respond, but she kept doing it anyways and I stopped responding to her. She got upset and called me one day asking why I ignore her text messages and I told her that I wasn't going to take extra time to try and decipher her cryptic language on those texts and that it made her sound ignorant.

She texts me in perfectly legible english now, and it's a beautiful thing! :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
i try to keep myself in check by attempting to spell every word correctly and with proper grammar and when i do make a mistake and my device corrects it i tend to look at the correction for future reference

What's killing the social sphere is that young kids find it hip to type in word slang and put down kids that try to spell words correctly

You did very well with your grammar, except you failed to capitalize your first person pronoun, "i". Should you? Here's what dictionary.com says about it.

"Why do we capitalize the first-person pronoun, I? The short answer is because we do. But that?s not a very satisfactory answer. Even though it feels natural to English speakers, capitalizing I is unusual. In fact, English is the only language that does. Germanic and Romantic languages typically have some conventions for capitalizing proper nouns, like Deutschland (in German) or Place de la Concorde (in French), but English is the only one that selfishly insists on capitalizing the personal pronoun. We do not, you will recall, even capitalize we.
It turns out that this unusual convention was a bit of an accident. In Old and Middle English, the word for ?I? was closer to its German cousin, ?ich,? and it was often spelled ?ic.? At this point, the word was not capitalized. However, the pronunciation changed over time and so did the spelling, losing the consonant c.
At first, the new word, i, was left lowercase. However, it began to grow taller than other words. It grew for a silly reason: a single letter looks bad. Look at it: i. How sad. By the time Chaucer wrote The Canterbury Tales in the late 1300s, I, the personal pronoun, was slightly taller than its lowercase equivalent. From that point on, it was typically capitalized.".

:D

Last edited:

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Just my two cents: language is used to communicate. If your written or spoken words impart what you are attempting to say, who cares about all the little details? No, I'm not saying write gibberish, but things like commas before/not before the word too, come on. People actually argue over things like that.

That is nonsense.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
"Grammer"?? Never heard of it...however - I've a passing familiarity with "grammar". :D

edit: this kind of looks out of place now as the post above I commented on without quoting was corrected... ;p

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Just my two cents: language is used to communicate. If your written or spoken words impart what you are attempting to say, who cares about all the little details? No, I'm not saying write gibberish, but things like commas before/not before the word too, come on. People actually argue over things like that.

That is nonsense.

It is non-sense in that regard, but it's also a slippery slope...you just "deal" with it long enough, and you start getting posts like this:

rofl! y u trippin bae? Yallz goin 2 da movie Fri? dat wuld b epic! Jeah!

(it actually confused me while I was typing that, lol)

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site
They have already stopped teaching cursive writing in many school districts in the U.S. I find it disturbing. It used to be somewhat of an art form. Plus, the way you write says a lot about you in general.

The english language has been kicked to the curb altogether. I think that if you are not a reader, you are not going to be very good with grammar, punctuation or spelling. Reading is where you somewhat hone your use of grammar, punctuation and spelling and I find that too many people are proud that they don't read and they think anyone that reads a book is some kind of nerd or doesn't have a life. You can see people changing their attitudes for the worse when you get called "the language police" for pointing out that "alot" is not a word. Many take it as an insult to be corrected. Strange days indeed.

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site

That is nonsense.

You can either communicate by saying precisely what you mean so there is no question about what you mean or communicate by hoping people understand what you mean to say because you can't figure out or don't care about the "details". The details are not brain surgery. The whole point is that it should not be difficult for rational adults to know how to use their language correctly. I guess the educational system is giving up. Glad I don't have kids in school.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh man i don't pay no mind to stupid stuff. I gots stuff to do so it ain't my fault if u get ur knickers in a bunch.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Oh man i don't pay no mind to stupid stuff. I gots stuff to do so it ain't my fault if u get ur knickers in a bunch.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

Lol

What is truly a shame is the way legal documents and contracts are written.

They should have a separate copy written in layman terms like your "Screwed"

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73