Oh man i don't pay no mind to stupid stuff. I gots stuff to do so it ain't my fault if u get ur knickers in a bunch.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6
    HUH?
    08-19-2015 03:16 PM
    Typing, grammar and punctuation-albert-einstein-quote.png
    Spencerdl likes this.
    08-19-2015 08:05 PM
    See, many have pointed out the flaws in my initial post. So, I am right, smartphones and such do make one 'dumber'.

Now, should it be 'do' or 'does'? See, being English, and speaking to an 'American' public, causes issue for me, too. We, English people, speak differently, and thus write differently...
    08-19-2015 10:13 PM
    So we should quit teaching cursive writing because you had a lazy, bad english teacher? I think sports is a giant waste of time in school. Maybe we should stop with the silly sports and double down on the ability to use the creative part of your brain.
    They all have relevance...sports teaches discipline and team work, focused creative classes obviously teach varying types of creative function. Cursive writing, to me, should have been something reserved for artistic education, because the truth is, the use of cursive was more of a cosmetic function (with some speed designed into the style).

When I was in college, I took 3 separate calligraphy courses just because I was always interested in learning such, and it was amazing how much cursive played into that style of writing. If a child was approached with an artistic mind set to cursive writing instead of a necessitative requirement kind of route, I think cursive writing would be alive and well today.
    08-19-2015 11:44 PM
    See, many have pointed out the flaws in my initial post. So, I am right, smartphones and such do make one 'dumber'.

Now, should it be 'do' or 'does'? See, being English, and speaking to an 'American' public, causes issue for me, too. We, English people, speak differently, and thus write differently...
    Sorry Ivan. I'm not part of an American audience. I wasn't born here. Correct grammar is universal and devoid of slangs. Slangs are, inherently, inappropriate in correct grammar. Try writing a thesis using slangs.

My point was that it was ironic to write a post about spelling and grammar while making mistakes.

In other words, as in anything, one should be careful that in pointing out others' mistakes, one doesn't make any similar mistakes. I have no problem with an occasional error. I do agree, however, that text speak is annoying.

(By the way, it should be smartphones "do" because your noun "smartphones" define a plural number of smartphones.)

Last edited by qbnkelt; 08-20-2015 at 04:54 AM.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    08-20-2015 04:32 AM
    I stand corrected...
    08-20-2015 05:09 AM
    No worries!

08-20-2015 05:29 AM
    The downside to this thread now (and future posts I may\may not make), is that I feel I can't post without triple checking everything.

I suppose, less is more...

I'm not even sure if what I just typed is grammatically correct. Fact.
    08-20-2015 08:13 AM
    08-20-2015 08:50 AM
    The downside to this thread now (and future posts I may\may not make), is that I feel I can't post without triple checking everything.

I suppose, less is more...

I'm not even sure if what I just typed is grammatically correct. Fact.
    But Ivan, this was *your* post. One that you felt strongly about.

The issue wasn't pushed on you, you brought it up to the community. And, as happens in communities, members responded. Would you have preferred that folks didn't point out errors in your OP? Perhaps. But that would have been disingenuous.

I've never posted a thread regarding grammar or spelling. But if I had, I would have 1) checked to make sure what I wrote was correct and 2) prepared myself for the responses.

It's similar to a fashion critic who spends time criticising some starlet for what she's wearing, while not bothering to check whether what she herself is wearing can pass the Audrey Hepburn test.

08-20-2015 10:23 AM
    I feel my point was lost on my last post. Me posting it in the first place, was more of a 'see where we are now as a society, and where we might end up'.

To be honest, I know posting to a forum will generate communication and thus replies. I want it to, that's why I partake in forums.
    Now, having said that, I clearly didn't look as 'deeply' as I should have, in relation to my grammar, spelling, etc.

Again, I feel my post missed the mark (too scared to use the word its or it's, in case I used the wrong one). Needless to say, I get it...

But Ivan, this was *your* post. One that you felt strongly about.

The issue wasn't pushed on you, you brought it up to the community. And, as happens in communities, members responded. Would you have preferred that folks didn't point out errors in your OP? Perhaps. But that would have been disingenuous.

I've never posted a thread regarding grammar or spelling. But if I had, I would have 1) checked to make sure what I wrote was correct and 2) prepared myself for the responses.

It's similar to a fashion critic who spends time criticising some starlet for what she's wearing, while not bothering to check whether what she herself is wearing can pass the Audrey Hepburn test.

08-20-2015 11:02 AM
    I tend to disagree with the premise here. My handwriting has evolved over my 60+ years on this rock, and I'd place it somewhere between true cursive (aka "The Palmer Method") and printing. It's probably a function of "speed writing", and personal style. But that does not discount the discipline of properly formed cursive communication. It's a communication medium that is artful, civil and downright dignified.

Just because one middle school English teacher could not be bothered to "decipher everyone's cursive styles" doesn't make it a pointless endeavor. Besides all of that, just imagine the conundrum that would result from hip-hop street slang written in perfect cursive penmanship!
    I mostly agree with this. Actually, the style of writing called "italic" is much more efficient and IMO more beautiful than cursive. Italic is what should be taught in schools. It's much like a more flowing form of printing and probably something similar to the way your writing has evolved.
    08-20-2015 07:20 PM
    It is non-sense in that regard, but it's also a slippery slope...you just "deal" with it long enough, and you start getting posts like this:

rofl! y u trippin bae? Yallz goin 2 da movie Fri? dat wuld b epic! Jeah!

(it actually confused me while I was typing that, lol)
    Yup it's crap. If I hear my children answer someone who ask's them a question with "yeah"instead of "yes" I'll jump all over them. I personally don't care what people think but I will raise my children they way I was raised and to speak properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-20-2015 07:25 PM
    I literally don't answer messages in text speak. Can't be bothered with deciphering them.

08-21-2015 05:39 AM
    If I make a mistake, so what....and in my best NYC accent...."ya gotta problem wit tat".....SMILE
    08-21-2015 05:55 AM
    Oh WOW I LOVE the New York and New Jersey ACCENTS!!!!

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤
    Spencerdl likes this.
    08-21-2015 06:25 AM
    Oh WOW I LOVE the New York and New Jersey ACCENTS!!!!

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4
    *downvote*
    qbnkelt likes this.
    08-21-2015 10:24 AM

I LOVE IT!!!!! That, and the Mississippi/Louisiana accent.

08-21-2015 10:48 AM
    They all have relevance...sports teaches discipline and team work, focused creative classes obviously teach varying types of creative function. Cursive writing, to me, should have been something reserved for artistic education, because the truth is, the use of cursive was more of a cosmetic function (with some speed designed into the style).

When I was in college, I took 3 separate calligraphy courses just because I was always interested in learning such, and it was amazing how much cursive played into that style of writing. If a child was approached with an artistic mind set to cursive writing instead of a necessitative requirement kind of route, I think cursive writing would be alive and well today.
    I get what you are saying and I realize most of society thinks the same but I think sports teaches uniformity and to not think creatively more than anything else. The "let's-all-dress-alike-and-do-the-same-thing" lifestyle has never appealed to me. From sports to bikers..... I've never understood it. Discipline and team work can be taught a million ways without the sports....... but that's for another thread.

I think the plain and simple of it is that cursive writing is not being taught because computers with keyboards rule the world and cursive writing is not as important as used to be. There are also a million ways to be creative without cursive writing.
    08-21-2015 08:20 PM
    Advance in technology comes with pros and cons.
    Its the matter of how you suit yourself in it.
    08-22-2015 04:13 AM
45 12