Wondering if anyone is experiencing slow iCloud app App Store downloads?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
What I mean is, if you go to App Store > Updates > Purchased and download apps from specifically those iCloud purchased apps, are you experiencing extremely slow downloads as opposed to just downloading an app from anyplace else other than the purchased section?

I started noticing this yesterday when I restored my 6 Plus from an iCloud backup and it was taking forever to download apps. I ended up restoring as new and just started downloading a few apps by simply searching for them. Then I figured I'd scroll through my purchased apps to hit the download button from there and that's where I noticed this problem which explained the initial slow iCloud restore.

Anyone else experiencing that?

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I have been experiencing extremely slow downloads from the App Store as well. Started noticing it maybe a few days ago while trying to reinstall the DarkSky app which is very small in size, and noticed it absolutely crawling along. Been that way with other apps as well. Before and after iOS 8.4.1.

Also, I'm trying to download iOS 8.4.1 through iTunes on my MBP so I can do a full restore to factory settings, and the download is showing me an estimate of 26 hours to complete. Running speedtest.net while doing the download shows that my download speed is at 25Mbps. Not the fastest, but surely the iTunes download of 8.4.1 shouldn't be estimated at that long. Problems with Apple servers?

I am not experiencing any download issues using any devices for other things, like browsing, YouTube, etc.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Steve Ura

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I have not been able to download/update for a few days now. My ISP is CenturyLink. I have discovered through the Apple support pages that many other CenturyLink customers are having the same issue. Do you have CenturyLink too?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have not been able to download/update for a few days now. My ISP is CenturyLink. I have discovered through the Apple support pages that many other CenturyLink customers are having the same issue. Do you have CenturyLink too?

To whom are you responding? Use the 'quote' feature when replying to a specific comment. Thanks.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
This issue has been a happening/not happening thing since I made this post.

I do not use CenturyLink. The issue is prevalent for me on WiFi being on TWC and AT&T as well as AT&T cellular.

Last edited:

charliecq

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Same issue here. My husband and I haven't been able to update any apps on either of our iPads or iPhones (5 or 6) on either our home Wifi (Century Link 40MBps) or on our Sprint LTE network. This started yesterday and hasn't improved. After leaving our devices for hours and overnight to update apps, still nothing. Anyone find any more info yet?

asetiyadi

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I found this solution in Apple forum for those who use CenturyLink. It saved my day

Okay guys I just got all this fixed and even the Century Link was stumped. Here is what he did to fix our problem.
Under your modem settings under Advanced Setup go to your set DNS type. He had me turn off the Dynamic DNS and type in a public one like google.
So I clicked Static DNS then under Primary DNS 8.8.8.8 Then the Secondary DNS 8.8.4.4 then click apply. This fixed my issues. I have not gone back to the Dynamic DNS to see if it was fixed under the original settings due to the fact I have to go to work. But I wanted to share this ASAP. The Century Link tech also said he will share this information up the pipeline to help try to fix the original problem.

I hope this helps everyone!!!!!

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
This issue has been a happening/not happening thing since I made this post.

I do not use CenturyLink. The issue is prevalent for me on WiFi being on TWC and AT&T as well as AT&T cellular.

I'm with TWC (Oceanic) and VZW for cell. For a very short period yesterday everything went back to being fine. With no changes on my part, I was able to download some of my apps back. (Recently did a full restore). Today it is back to being extremely slow. Just trying to download an update for VSCO cam, its been an hour already. Still no issues with other services, like streaming YouTube, upload/download to other sites/services, etc.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

TriShark

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I found this solution in Apple forum for those who use CenturyLink. It saved my day

Okay guys I just got all this fixed and even the Century Link was stumped. Here is what he did to fix our problem.
Under your modem settings under Advanced Setup go to your set DNS type. He had me turn off the Dynamic DNS and type in a public one like google.
So I clicked Static DNS then under Primary DNS 8.8.8.8 Then the Secondary DNS 8.8.4.4 then click apply. This fixed my issues. I have not gone back to the Dynamic DNS to see if it was fixed under the original settings due to the fact I have to go to work. But I wanted to share this ASAP. The Century Link tech also said he will share this information up the pipeline to help try to fix the original problem.

I hope this helps everyone!!!!!

I'm not sure why this would work to solve this specific problem. BUT IT DID!!!! Again, centurylink had no resolution but did admit they had an open ticket already for the issue. I changed to the static DNS as outlined above and everything is back to normal.

Thanks!

Matthew110607

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
OP, have you fixed this issue? I am not using Century Link, I have tried other DNS, like Google and OpenDNS, and this isn't resolving the issue. I have this issue on both my device and my iTunes on my computer. A song from iTunes takes 10-15 minutes now, most apps are so slow that they time out. Even downloading an iTunes update from within the app is excruciating.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
OP, have you fixed this issue? I am not using Century Link, I have tried other DNS, like Google and OpenDNS, and this isn't resolving the issue. I have this issue on both my device and my iTunes on my computer. A song from iTunes takes 10-15 minutes now, most apps are so slow that they time out. Even downloading an iTunes update from within the app is excruciating.

I haven't really experienced the problem within the past 10 days or so. I didn't really do anything. It went away on its own and hasn't happened for a good while now.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen