Long story short...was tired of large devices and swapped my Nexus 6 for an iPhone 6. Before doing that, I'd taken advantage of the Groupon for the Motorola Turbocharger for 9.99. Now, I've got like 2 of those just sitting. I notice on the turbocharger it reads that one of the outputs (I'd assume the non-quick charge output) "Output 5V, 1.6A".

My question is, does the iPhone control the voltage or the does the charger control it. If the iPhone only allows a 5V drop then I should be fine using those chargers but if the charger controls I'd refrain from using them as I'd be concerned that it could drop a higher, quick charge'esque voltage and damage my iPhone.

Anyone with any knowledge on the subject?
    07-10-2015 07:26 AM
    If I understand correctly, the iPhone regulates the power coming to the device.
    07-10-2015 07:43 AM
    It's not something I would subject my iPhone to. It's safe to use an iPad charger with an iPhone. But the Motorola seems a bit risky. There could be overheating issues. If I had an Apple charger, that's what I would use.
    07-10-2015 08:22 AM
    It's not something I would subject my iPhone to. It's safe to use an iPad charger with an iPhone. But the Motorola seems a bit risky. There could be overheating issues. If I had an Apple charger, that's what I would use.
    Yeah, that's my concern. Guess I'll just pick up a 12W iPad charger from Best Buy today.
    07-10-2015 08:30 AM
    If I understand correctly, the iPhone regulates the power coming to the device.
    On "Made for I" chargers, yes... Others it's a crapshoot.
    Bigeric23, Tartarus and mumfoau like this.
    07-10-2015 08:31 AM
    On "Made for I" chargers, yes... Others it's a crapshoot.
    Thanks kch!
    07-10-2015 09:02 AM
    The iPhone 6 and 6+ both will accept 2A of current from a charger without any problem. Your Motorola charger will work just fine. Just make sure you use a certified lightning cable.
    07-10-2015 09:23 AM
    The iPhone 6 and 6+ both will accept 2A of current from a charger without any problem. Your Motorola charger will work just fine. Just make sure you use a certified lightning cable.
    That's what I was thinking. Just like there's no difference between adaptive fast charging (Samsung) and turbocharging (Motorola) but I want to be sure before I jack up my phone. After using the Note 4 then the Nexus 6 I can't go on without some form of quick charging. Lol
    07-10-2015 11:27 AM
    That's what I was thinking. Just like there's no difference between adaptive fast charging (Samsung) and turbocharging (Motorola) but I want to be sure before I jack up my phone. After using the Note 4 then the Nexus 6 I can't go on without some form of quick charging. Lol
    "Adaptive Fast Charging" and "Turbo Charging" are marketing terms made up by the marketing departments at Samsung and Motorola. The only thing that makes the charging faster is that the adapter is outputting current at a higher rate and the devices are now drawing the higher amount of current. There isn't anything special about these chargers at all. Almost all previous devices only drew 5V @ 1A of current and now devices are being made to draw 5V @ 2A so they charge at a faster rate. Naturally marketing wants to try and make everything sound fancy and new when it's really nothing special at all, just electrons flowing at a faster rate.

The important part is the lightning cable. Make sure it is Apple certified. Amazon sells certified ones for less than $10 for a 6 foot cable now.
    mumfoau likes this.
    07-10-2015 01:47 PM