How could a swollen battery be normal?

I

iMore Question

Swollen battery issue

The trackpad on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro doesn't click. A quick Google suggested that the culprit is a swollen battery. I removed it and, sure enough, it is swollen. Moreover, while it was removed, the trackpad clicked normally. I took it to the Apple Store at Flatiron Crossing where Justin told me that this was normal and I would have to pay $135 for a new battery. WHAT? NORMAL? How can an obvious manufacturing defect be normal? Is this Apple's official response to this issue?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Swollen battery issue

A mid 2012 device is out of warranty, and AppleCare for that matter... batteries fail. It's part of life with high tech devices. Replace the battery and get on with life...

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Swollen battery issue

The trackpad on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro doesn't click. A quick Google suggested that the culprit is a swollen battery. I removed it and, sure enough, it is swollen. Moreover, while it was removed, the trackpad clicked normally. I took it to the Apple Store at Flatiron Crossing where Justin told me that this was normal and I would have to pay $135 for a new battery. WHAT? NORMAL? How can an obvious manufacturing defect be normal? Is this Apple's official response to this issue?

Where is the manufacturing defect? The battery, which is about 3 years old is swollen. Because it's swollen, it's pushing the trackpad out of position, which, in turn, causes the trackpad to not function. You removed the battery and the trackpad now works AS INTENDED. The issue is obviously the swollen battery. As Keith said, batteries fail. Even with AppleCare, the battery would only be covered for 3 years, max. Just buy a replacement battery and stop trying to blame Apple.

#ageofentitlement

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice