Question about heat damage.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So the other day while working I left my phone in my work truck because I didn't want it getting messed up by the stuff I was carrying. I had the windows down and left the device in a sunglasses cubby towards the roof of the inside car. The day wasn't really hot, but warm I'd say. I was gone maybe an hour or hour and a half. When I got back to it, the device was warm, not super hot. But I'm wondering if there could have been heat damage. Or what that would look like. Thanks

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You should be fine. I take my iPad into the sauna and use it until I get the heat warning. Been doing that for a year now and it is in perfect condition.

Now, I would not recommend doing what I do, but I have an extra iPad Air, so if something does eventually happen I am not out a device.

But regardless, one day in the hot car should be ok.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So the other day while working I left my phone in my work truck because I didn't want it getting messed up by the stuff I was carrying. I had the windows down and left the device in a sunglasses cubby towards the roof of the inside car. The day wasn't really hot, but warm I'd say. I was gone maybe an hour or hour and a half. When I got back to it, the device was warm, not super hot. But I'm wondering if there could have been heat damage. Or what that would look like. Thanks

If you didn't get an on-screen warning about the temperature, you're probably ok. Sample screens are linked below.

The only problem that you might face is with the battery. Heat kills batteries. But it will take a slow, prolonged exposure to heat to do it in. Once or twice is not a big deal. I don't believe that any other component of the device will be affected by one day's exposure to heat. The internal temp in a car in the summer can reach 140? or more, so I would not make a habit of leaving my phone in the car.

View attachment 84804 View attachment 84805

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If you didn't get an on-screen warning about the temperature, you're probably ok. Sample screens are linked below.

The only problem that you might face is with the battery. Heat kills batteries. But it will take a slow, prolonged exposure to heat to do it in. Once or twice is not a big deal. I don't believe that any other component of the device will be affected by one day's exposure to heat. The internal temp in a car in the summer can reach 140? or more, so I would not make a habit of leaving my phone in the car.

View attachment 84804 View attachment 84805

It wasn't really hot though. Like 80 degrees or so outside. And again windows were open and was only hour and a half at most

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you didn't get either of those warnings, you are literally stressing about nothing...I've left my phone in my cars numerous times in the Georgia heat, and never had an issue (even with those warnings showing up sometimes).

Relax.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If you didn't get either of those warnings, you are literally stressing about nothing...I've left my phone in my cars numerous times in the Georgia heat, and never had an issue (even with those warnings showing up sometimes).

Relax.

I didn't get those warnings. The phone wasn't hot to the touch anyway when I got back to it. It's just, this phones my baby, I don't want anything bad to happen to it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I didn't get those warnings. The phone wasn't hot to the touch anyway when I got back to it. It's just, this phones my baby, I don't want anything bad to happen to it.

You didn't get those warnings because it never got hot enough to do any damage to it. The way I see it...as obsessive as you are about this stuff, I'm surprised it isn't tethered to your arm with some kind of high tension steel.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You didn't get those warnings because it never got hot enough to do any damage to it. The way I see it...as obsessive as you are about this stuff, I'm surprised it isn't tethered to your arm with some kind of high tension steel.

Unless that warning came up when I was out and went away when I came back. I don't know.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Unless that warning came up when I was out and went away when I came back. I don't know.

The warning still doesn't have any bearing on your phone being damaged...it's a safe guard, a way for the device itself to protect itself from heat damage by shutting down it's main system in order to prevent damage.

Your phone is still working right? Your phone didn't get heat damaged.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The warning still doesn't have any bearing on your phone being damaged...it's a safe guard, a way for the device itself to protect itself from heat damage by shutting down it's main system in order to prevent damage.

Your phone is still working right? Your phone didn't get heat damaged.

Right. My main worry was the screen. But it seems to be fine. I'll monitor if the battery life gets reduced also. But your right, I'm probably ok. Like I said, the phone wasn't even hot to the touch. Just a little warm.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Right. My main worry was the screen. But it seems to be fine. I'll monitor if the battery life gets reduced also. But your right, I'm probably ok. Like I said, the phone wasn't even hot to the touch. Just a little warm.

I'm curious...do you approach all things in life with this level of paranoia? Because they have therapy for that...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
When I first saw this thread yesterday, I knew that it wasn't going to end with Hank's very logical explanation. I just knew it. I knew RavenSword wasn't going to just let it rest there lol.

I was in Palm Springs for the holiday weekend with temperatures up to 115 degrees out by the pool various times and my 6 Plus got pretty hot but has performed just fine.

Also, like someone mentioned, I've always taken my iPhones inside of the sauna for minutes at a time and they came out fine. As a matter of fact, I'm posting this as I stand in the sauna.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
When I first saw this thread yesterday, I knew that it wasn't going to end with Hank's very logical explanation. I just knew it. I knew RavenSword wasn't going to just let it rest there lol.

I was in Palm Springs for the holiday weekend with temperatures up to 115 degrees out by the pool various times and my 6 Plus got pretty hot but has performed just fine.

Also, like someone mentioned, I've always taken my iPhones inside of the sauna for minutes at a time and they came out fine. As a matter of fact, I'm posting this as I stand in the sauna.

Just. Like. Clockwork. #bwahahaha

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I just want to be sure it's fine is all. Sorry.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR