Re article by Peter Cohen: How to move your iPhone and iPad backups to an external drive?

I

iMore Question

Re article by Peter Cohen: How to move your iPhone and iPad backups to an external drive

Article dated Monday, August 18, 2014 and written by Peter Cohen.
Just above the sub title "A note on aliases and symbolic links" the author has written: "Once you verify that it's been copied, rename but do [note] delete the original Backups folder (maybe call it old_Backups or something equally descriptive)."
My question is this: Which folder is the original Backups folder, to be renamed "original Backup", is it the folder inside MobileSync called "Backup" or is it the folder that has a long string of numbers as its name and which appears inside the Backup folder? Could you clarify please?
BTW, I believe the article is brilliant and I give it 5 stars out of 5.
Regards, Gareth

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re article by Peter Cohen: How to move your iPhone and iPad backups to an external drive

Yes it is the folder called "backup".

iLessMess

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re article by Peter Cohen: How to move your iPhone and iPad backups to an external drive

I think iMore is THE apple reference site. Love your page on "http://www.imore.com/how-move-your-iphone-and-ipad-backups-external-drive" but I have a problem with it.

Probably pilot error on my part. I re-named the Backup folder on the external drive before I suspected that's not what the author, Peter Cohen, intended. I BELIEVE he meant the folder on the external drive to be left as "Backup"

However, my fast fingers entered his Terminal command line too quickly as his example:
ln -s /Volumes/Elements/ios_backup/Backup ~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/Backup

Which of course is wrong in my case as Peter thoughtfully pointed out and I stupidly missed: the word "External" was his example name which naturally did not work.

I re-entered the correct line substituting the word "External" for the name of my drive (yes, no spaces).

When I try to backup the iphone, itunes insists that it cannot do that because the file "was corrupt or not compatible with the iphone."

Did I do something wrong, or has Apple now blocked the ability to do symlinks for backing up iphones?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2