Phil Schiller is full of it!

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Apple's Phil Schiller addresses 16GB iPhones, single-USB MacBooks, and thinness vs. battery life | The Verge

It would probably cost Apple $5-$6 to up the base iPhone to 32gb. 16gb is just not enough anymore, and I don't think that it is fair to have to pay an extra $100 to go to 64gb, when a base model at 32gb would be fine. His statement of using the cloud is a lot of smoke-blowing, IMO. He is really saying "we don't want to give up any of our ridiculous profit margin, and want you to pay another $100 for $10 of memory".
Then as far as batteries go, he said that larger batteries take longer to charge. What? I have never considered charging time as a factor when I could get longer battery life. He needs to just keep quiet, IMO.
Rant over.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Fair has nothing to do with it, and while I would like to see a 32 GB base model, I do see Phil's point. It's not like what he said wasn't true because we have members here who get by just fine with a 16 GB iPhone in conjunction with cloud services. Although I currently have the 64 GB iPhone 6 Plus, I could still get by with a 16 GB model. Finally, all companies provide a product and/or service "at a profit". People use the marketplace forum to sell their used products "at a profit". Calling a profit margin ridiculous is without merit. We don't have to purchase anything from Apple.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Fair has nothing to do with it, and while I would like to see a 32 GB base model, I do see Phil's point. It's not like what he said wasn't true because we have members here who get by just fine with a 16 GB iPhone in conjunction with cloud services. Although I currently have the 64 GB iPhone 6 Plus, I could still get by with a 16 GB model. Finally, all companies provide a product and/or service "at a profit". People use the marketplace forum to sell their used products "at a profit". Calling a profit margin ridiculous is without merit. We don't have to purchase anything from Apple.

I get by with my 16gb 6, but it it would be so much better if Apple would invest the minuscule dollars to go to a base 32gb. Then, people that are happy with 16gb would still be happy, and people that need more than 16 but less than 64 would have $100 more in their pocket.
The underlined statement is true, but a little arrogant, imo. I do buy, and will continue to buy Apple products, but it would seem much better if they would listen to their customers a little more.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned, they listened plenty to their customers with iOS 8 and then the bigger screens. I liked WWDC last year a lot more because all the stuff for iOS 8 being announced was like a dream come true. We all said "They finally listened to us!"

I think that in this case they'll eventually listen. Just gotta accept it for what it is right now.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Do you feel better now? Take a deep breath. ;)

I agree with some of your rant, but not all of it. . . . And in the end, everyone has the choice to go elsewhere for their gadgets. However, in my opinion, I don't see anything better anywhere else--all things being equal.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
How is he full of it? What he said about 16GB phones and users relying on Cloud based storage services is 100% accurate, regardless of what you assume Apple's intentions are. At the end of the day, Apple is a business, so of course their primary goal is to make as much profit as they can for as long a period as they can...they also happen to be one of the most consumer oriented tech companies on the planet, so I personally give them the benefit of the doubt in regards to an idea they have ulterior motives.

The formula of getting a 16GB device and using cloud based storage is an absolutely legitimate plan of action for some users (many of whom are on the forums and have reflected that is exactly what they do with the 16GB model).

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
How is he full of it? What he said about 16GB phones and users relying on Cloud based storage services is 100% accurate, regardless of what you assume Apple's intentions are. At the end of the day, Apple is a business, so of course their primary goal is to make as much profit as they can for as long a period as they can...they also happen to be one of the most consumer oriented tech companies on the planet, so I personally give them the benefit of the doubt in regards to an idea they have ulterior motives.

The formula of getting a 16GB device and using cloud based storage is an absolutely legitimate plan of action for some users (many of whom are on the forums and have reflected that is exactly what they do with the 16GB model).

True, but it would still be nice if they started at 32gb. The people that need only 16gb would be fine and ones that need more would have it without additional money spent. I think that it will eventually go to that, but no one knows when.
It could be Apple's "baker's dozen".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
True, but it would still be nice if they started at 32gb. The people that need only 16gb would be fine and ones that need more would have it without additional money spent. I think that it will eventually go to that, but no one knows when.
It could be Apple's "baker's dozen".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's be honest here though, there are tons of things Apple COULD do that would be "nicer" (more RAM for instance, even if it's not necessary, would be a nice feature to have, especially of the more technically inclined consumer)...we could sit here for days talking about WHY they don't do it, or WHY they should do it, but if there is a reasonable rationale for keeping any certain product or variant of product, who really cares?

The 16GB model makes some people happy because it's the cheapest variant of iPhone and, when combined with certain cloud based features, can function just fine in today's world of consumer products. Would it be nice if Apple offered a 32GB model in place of it for the same cost to the consumer? Of course it would...but why would a company do that when the 16GB model still sells incredibly and costs them less to make? It'd be like expecting TV manufacturers to include "smart TV" functionality on the lowest spec'ed sets without charging more for it because it doesn't cost them much to add it...that doesn't make any sense in terms of business.

I'd like Apple to include one of their leather cases with the purchase of my iPhone (since I always buy them anyways), and not charge me more for it. It probably wouldn't cost them much at all to do so, it would probably attract more users in some ways to get the iPhone...but to EXPECT that is silly...Apple can't keep up with demand on both products, so why would they give them away for no reason?

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
All the smartphone manufacturers do it, not just Apple. Because they can, and it works. Where I am, the Galaxy S6 goes up in increments of $110 for every jump up in storage.

Don't forget, Schiller is the SVP of Marketing. Of course he's going to put some sort of spin on it - he's doing his job.

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
He's not doing his job all that well if this thread exists, though. I've never met anybody who's happy with 16GB after a long period of time except the most basic of users. I mean most people have to use these phones for a full two-years. And that's an extremely long time to be so cramped. 32GB should be the base model. Or they need to add in an SD-card slot.

I bought the 4S over the 5/5C strictly because of the 64GB capacity.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
He's not doing his job all that well if this thread exists, though. I've never met anybody who's happy with 16GB after a long period of time except the most basic of users. I mean most people have to use these phones for a full two-years. And that's an extremely long time to be so cramped. 32GB should be the base model. Or they need to add in an SD-card slot.

I bought the 4S over the 5/5C strictly because of the 64GB capacity.

Most people don't care about the size of their phone's gb. Most people aren't phone "geeks" and just use it for texting and going online. I have yet to meet anyone...other than myself...that couldn't deal with only 16gb.

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Most people don't care about the size of their phone's gb. Most people aren't phone "geeks" and just use it for texting and going online. I have yet to meet anyone...other than myself...that couldn't deal with only 16gb.

That's interesting. I've had a total different experience. I mean people can deal with it, but then when I prod I get the "...well, I wish I had more space for my pictures and stuff."

Unfortunately for me, cloud is great as a backup but I can't constantly stream with my budget data plan. So I guess it's different for everybody.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That's interesting. I've had a total different experience. I mean people can deal with it, but then when I prod I get the "...well, I wish I had more space for my pictures and stuff."

Unfortunately for me, cloud is great as a backup but I can't constantly stream with my budget data plan. So I guess it's different for everybody.

If you want more than 16 gb, you can do that. Most users would never use more than what the 16 gb offers. People here in the forums tend to think with their geek hat on. Nearly everyone here screams, "Don't get the 16, get more!". For them it's necessary. But the average person does not put 20+ gb of music and 100 apps on their phone. My Wife has had a 32 gb 5c for 14 months. It came with about 28 gb available. She still has 22 gb available. My cousin had the 16 gb for 2 years. He had about 30 downloaded apps and 600 songs. He still had 5 gb available. He kept most of his photos on his computer. I'm still using my old iP 5 with 16 gb. I've had it since August 3013. I have 4 gb available. I do use Box, Dropbox and OneDrive for photos and videos. I like it that way. I don't want my camera roll cluttered. I have 114 apps but not much music. I'm just not into it that much. I was when I was young. Most people can make do with 16 gb and be happy with it.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
It's not just that upgrading from 16GB to 32GB would cost Apple much money per device. The biggest issue for Apple would be that people who need a little more than 16GB wouldn't pay an extra $100 for 64GB if they had 32GB. I know I'm looking to get at least the 64GB with my next iPhone because I'm sick of managing my storage on my 16GB iPhone, but I wouldn't even consider it if the base model had 32GB, and that's an extra $100 in revenue Apple would lose just from me.

I would totally love to see the base model for iPhones and iPads be 32GB, but I completely understand why Apple doesn't. 16GB is still enough for a lot of people.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I would prefer a 32G as a base model. I don't understand the 16, 64, 128 storage. I agree in part with the OP.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's not just that upgrading from 16GB to 32GB would cost Apple much money per device. The biggest issue for Apple would be that people who need a little more than 16GB wouldn't pay an extra $100 for 64GB if they had 32GB. I know I'm looking to get at least the 64GB with my next iPhone because I'm sick of managing my storage on my 16GB iPhone, but I wouldn't even consider it if the base model had 32GB, and that's an extra $100 in revenue Apple would lose just from me.

I would totally love to see the base model for iPhones and iPads be 32GB, but I completely understand why Apple doesn't. 16GB is still enough for a lot of people.

Yeah, but there are far too many people who will spend the extra money to simply not have the base model because they associate it with being cheap and only for those who can't "afford" the more expensive models, despite the fact that all models are identical with the exception of the storage size.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, but there are far too many people who will spend the extra money to simply not have the base model because they associate it with being cheap and only for those who can't "afford" the more expensive models, despite the fact that all models are identical with the exception of the storage size.

I'm willing to bet there are far more people who buy the cheapest iPhone they can get because they just want an iPhone.

But regardless, there are still many, many people out there who pay the extra $100 because 16GB is just not enough even though 64GB is much more than they'll ever need, and would never have given Apple that extra $100 if 32GB was the base model.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen