I was upset a few years back after I got an 8gb iPhone 4. I was on a budget and couldn't afford to spend more, so I got it. Also it was my first iPhone, and I was just hyped to finally have one.

About 4-5 months into having it, I was at a wedding, and when I went to take a pic of my friend walking down the aisle, I got the dang message about the memory being full. I erased a bunch of pics real quick to free up some space, but by the time I was ready, I missed the moment I was trying to capture.

Needless to say, I was very upset, and decided I will always get the top capacity model from then on. A couple months later, I bought a 64gb iPhone 5 off contract. When the 6+ came out, I used my upgrade and and got the 128gb model.

I don't ever want to have to worry about space again, so I'm willing to shell out the extra money for it.
    That's how I started with iPhone.

06-12-2015 04:04 PM
    I'm sure there are, but the lineup was 16, 32 and 64. Now it's 16, 64 and 128. If it was just 16 and 64 then yeah, a convincing argument could be made in regard to Apple shafting people for primarily monetary gain however, by including a 128 GB model, while offering the 16 GB model for the same price as before, and giving customers the 64 GB model for the price of the previous 32 GB model is advantageous to the consumer. Some who previously bought the 64 GB model upgraded to 128. Those who previously bought the 32 GB model benefitted big time by getting the 64 GB model at the same price. Everybody wins, in my opinion. What if Apple re-inserts the 32 GB model this fall and then charge $50 more than the 16 GB model, how many people do you think would purchase it in comparison to getting the 16 & 64 GB models?
    I could easily see Apple doing that. As long as 16GB works for some people, I can't imagine Apple would risk losing additional money on a good portion of people who need a decent amount of space on their phone. Apple would sell way fewer 64GB if they introduced a 32GB model again, so might as well get an extra $50 out of it than making it the base model.

That works out in their favor in another way, too, because if you're already paying $250 for a 32GB, why not pay another $50 and double your storage? It's easy to spend an extra $50 over what you need than an extra $100.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with their current setup. It's much, much better than it was previously. I wouldn't mind spending an extra $100 to go from 16GB to 64GB, and then double that. I did have an issue with them charging an extra $100 to double 16GB to 32GB. I felt that was a major rip-off.
    06-12-2015 05:24 PM
    The low capacity on the iPhone was a BIG reason I avoided it for eight years. I could have purchased the 5C with the money I had, but I just couldn't deal with having anything lower than 32GB. That's the only reason I got the 4S over a newer model. 64GB is just delicious.
    06-12-2015 06:52 PM
    I think it's stupid to have a 16GB base model when it should be 32GB; considering 32 was removed and bumped up to 64.
    06-13-2015 08:59 AM
    Let's say it costs them $3 for the added storage and they sell only 90 million units.

They would be losing $270,000,000. Most people are too stupid to understand the loss of a 32gb version, in my opinion.

If I were Apple I would keep doing what they're doing. Although it's not fair, it makes sense for them. Plus, it allows them to pay people to create and manufacture these amazing items we all talk about .
    06-13-2015 12:00 PM
    If Apple were to stay with 16,64,128 for the immediate future there is not going to be a mass exodus from the iPhone y'all know that and Apple knows that.
    The 16 is there to push us to at least the 64 and to consider the 128.
    A 32 wouldn't push us to 64 but away from it and possibly not even consider 128.
    The balance may possibly come when 64,128 and 256 are the options.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    06-13-2015 12:19 PM
    Let's say it costs them $3 for the added storage and they sell only 90 million units.

They would be losing $270,000,000. Most people are too stupid to understand the loss of a 32gb version, in my opinion.

If I were Apple I would keep doing what they're doing. Although it's not fair, it makes sense for them. Plus, it allows them to pay people to create and manufacture these amazing items we all talk about .
    Yeah, and I guess that some people are too stupid to understand those 90,000,000 units wouldn't all be the same version, in my opinion. (See how it looks when you call people stupid?)
    princessiphone likes this.
    06-13-2015 03:46 PM
    Yeah, and I guess that some people are too stupid to understand those 90,000,000 units wouldn't all be the same version, in my opinion. (See how it looks when you call people stupid?)
    What does them being the same version have to do with anything? They'd still have the same amount of storage and sell them.

And I was referring to people I know personally. Most people I know are in fact too stupid to understand the difference.
    Les74 likes this.
    06-13-2015 08:15 PM
    What does them being the same version have to do with anything? They'd still have the same amount of storage and sell them.

And I was referring to people I know personally. Most people I know are in fact too stupid to understand the difference.
    All 90 million wouldn't be 32gb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-13-2015 08:17 PM
    I think it's stupid to have a 16GB base model when it should be 32GB; considering 32 was removed and bumped up to 64.
    Stupid to a consumer...genius to a business, especially a business who makes a lot of money on charging for cloud storage like Apple does. They get to double dip in the profit pot. Adding a 32GB model and removing the 16GB model takes money out of their pocket on both ends...so from a business stand point, the 32GB option as an entry model is "stupid".
    princessiphone and EmceeGeek like this.
    06-13-2015 08:32 PM
    Nowadays, the money you save with a 16gb iPhone and relying on cloud based services will most likely be negated by your data bill from your cell service provider.
    06-14-2015 08:12 AM
    Nowadays, the money you save with a 16gb iPhone and relying on cloud based services will most likely be negated by your data bill from your cell service provider.
    You're in trouble anyway if you don't have wifi. I use less than 300 mb of data each month. I use Box, Dropbox and OneDrive.

06-14-2015 09:15 AM
    The main reason for data caps is because your phone carrier does not want to clog their network with streaming. Most users wouldn't use up much data at all for web, email and downloads.

Think of how easy it would be to binge watch a show, or watch a movie or two and not caring to turn on wifi.

Sure data is too expensive but clearly they can get it. It's priced as high as people are willing to pay and high enough in price and low enough in limit to deter high use.
    06-14-2015 10:23 AM
    All 90 million wouldn't be 32gb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Okay sweetheart let's say 20m units. Still a profit. And I'm sure it would far surpass 90m for that specific "version".
    06-14-2015 05:39 PM
    Stupid to a consumer...genius to a business, especially a business who makes a lot of money on charging for cloud storage like Apple does. They get to double dip in the profit pot. Adding a 32GB model and removing the 16GB model takes money out of their pocket on both ends...so from a business stand point, the 32GB option as an entry model is "stupid".
    We weren't talking about the business aspect though.
    07-12-2015 10:59 AM
    We weren't talking about the business aspect though.
    Yes we are (or better put, WERE...a month ago). We are talking about Apple's decision to retain a 16GB model...you can't approach this conversation from only the standpoint of a consumer, otherwise every decision a business makes is "stupid" (as you so eloquently put it earlier). Apple leaves the 16GB model to appease the consumer looking for the cheapest entry into the market...and also, primarily, for profit reasons across the spectrum of how they make money off these things.
    07-12-2015 11:11 AM
    Yes we are (or better put, WERE...a month ago). We are talking about Apple's decision to retain a 16GB model...you can't approach this conversation from only the standpoint of a consumer, otherwise every decision a business makes is "stupid" (as you so eloquently put it earlier). Apple leaves the 16GB model to appease the consumer looking for the cheapest entry into the market...and also, primarily, for profit reasons across the spectrum of how they make money off these things.
    Yeah, they expect Apple to provide the 32 for what the 16 cost us now because that's becoming cheaper then it used to be and used on competitive products.

So the thinking is Apple is behind in upping the flash storage. That is a valid opinion to have.

Apple has a trend of offering lower storage on their entry level tier on devices and ignores competitive pricing entirely. Expecting Apple to change is pointless.

Basically they have a great formula to get most of us to go up a tier or 2. And they make a bundle. And we love the products.

I feel bad for people that buy a 128g ssd macbook or air. That's the storage i have on my phone. That said I can get by with 16 on an ipad or phone if i have to.

A laptop that small is a different use case I guess. I bring that up to compare to a 16 phone is for a different user. An entry level one.
    07-12-2015 01:01 PM
    Looks like the 16GB entry-level model will stick around for the iPhone 6S, guys.

Purported 'iPhone 6s' box suggests Apple will keep entry-level capacity at 16GB

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone since Apple is shrinking down major iOS OTA updates and adding features to iOS 9 that don't make you delete a ton of stuff in order to update OTA.
    Ledsteplin likes this.
    08-28-2015 02:25 PM
    I agree. They should up the storage to a minimum of 32 especially if 4k makes its intro to the iPhone world. Yes, they are a business but we are consumers. You shouldn't have to settle for the "bait" of 16gb and then use their cloud service to compensate.

What is this crap about not wanting to charge a bigger battery because it takes longer? If you fall for that, then you are brainwashed by Apple. There are plenty of devices with bigger batteries out there that benefits from "quick charge." That is no excuse Phil!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    08-28-2015 03:22 PM
    I agree. They should up the storage to a minimum of 32 especially if 4k makes its intro to the iPhone world. Yes, they are a business but we are consumers. You shouldn't have to settle for the "bait" of 16gb and then use their cloud service to compensate.
    You said it. You don't have to settle for anything. In this case, you can settle for 64GB or 128GB if you don't want to outright not buy an iPhone.
    08-28-2015 03:26 PM
    You said it. You don't have to settle for anything. In this case, you can settle for 64GB or 128GB if you don't want to outright not buy an iPhone.
    Yes, you can go 64gb or 128 for for$100 or $200 dollars more. Oh well, I guess I can settle going into best buy and picking up a 64gb microsdxc card for about $20 dollars but that's a bad deal, right?

08-28-2015 03:29 PM
    Yes, you can go 64gb or 128 for for$100 or $200 dollars more. Oh well, I guess I can settle going into best buy and picking up a 64gb microsdxc card for about $20 dollars but that's a bad deal, right?

You don't have to settle for anything you don't want to settle for. That's the point I'm trying to get across to you.
    08-28-2015 03:34 PM
    If the 16 gb is considered the "business" phone, maybe they could just bump up the other 2 to 128 and 256 gb. Just go whole hog with those 2 and leave the 16 gb for the wimps and business users.
    08-28-2015 04:17 PM
    You don't have to settle for anything you don't want to settle for. That's the point I'm trying to get across to you.
    I understand. I'm just trying to show the difference in value here and why one way makes more economical sense over the other. Either way options are there.

08-28-2015 04:22 PM
    The iPhone 5c looked and felt cheap because it was in a plastic neon shell. Many decided when it was launched to just pay more for the iPhone 5s. It's the same thing with storage, you just feel like you're being cheap if you settle for a 16GB model.
    08-29-2015 10:07 PM
51 123