Charging: Are some charges more efficient than others?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is going to sound a bit crazy, but hear me out.

So I noticed something a couple of weeks ago when me and my wife went on vacation. I brought my nightstand dock (made by Belkin) with me so that I could get a good charge overnight each night for the massive amounts of photos I'd be taking each day. I've had this dock for about a month now, and it's a really nice way to charge my phone on my nightstand, while also having it stand up right so I can see what's on the screen without having to pick it up.

I noticed that each day I charged with this dock, I'd get around 8 hours of battery life.

About 4 days into our trip, my wife was using the dock, so I just grabbed the normal power cord and wall adapter that came with the phone. I charged it over night, and we set off that day to Universal Studios (this would be the 2nd day there). We took tons of pictures (probably the most of the entire trip)...I also took several videos, and was uploading things to Facebook and sending them to my family as well.

I came home that night, and with about 2% left on the battery, I noticed that I got over 10 hours of battery life.

Perplexed, I though "Surely this is just a fluke, and maybe I just had better reception that day or something...", but the number was still there in my brain. How did I get more life out of the battery than I normally did using the dock charger? I had taken 25 MORE pictures than I did on the previous days, I had uploaded or messaged MORE pictures than I did on the previous days, and on each day, I made sure that no apps were running in the background by manually closing all of them out besides the ones I was using.

This happened again the next day when we went to a wedding. Charged with normal cord and adapter...10+ hours of life when we returned home (though this day, my activities were more using apps and playing games than taking pictures, since I hate weddings, lol!)

So we return home and I set my dock back up on my nightstand but I also set my other charging cord up right next to it. For the last week I have alternated between the two each day, and EVERY SINGLE DAY I use the dock, I get less battery life than I do using the cord...by at least an hour. They both charge fully to 100% in each method, and my usage between the days doesn't fluctuate that greatly...but for some reason the juice provided by the standard lightning cable and adapter is a more efficient charge than the dock provides.

Maybe this is something obvious...maybe everyone knows about this already...but I surely didn't, and it really stood out as weird to me. Can certain charges be more efficient than others? Does juice from one method of charging contain an optimal scenario for battery life than another?

TL;DR = OE lightning cord and adapter provides a more efficient and longer last charge than Belkin dock when both are charged to 100%.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Wild-arse guess... OEM chargers might have a 'trickle mode' that when the device hits a certain charge point it switches to a trickle charge, where a 3rd party charger will hit a certain point and stop charging... For typical users...they won't notice a difference...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Wild-arse guess... OEM chargers might have a 'trickle mode' that when the device hits a certain charge point it switches to a trickle charge, where a 3rd party charger will hit a certain point and stop charging... For typical users...they won't notice a difference...

You think this would account for 1-2 hours of life span difference though? I thought what you said as well, but the time difference just seemed a bit extreme for that approach.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You think this would account for 1-2 hours of life span difference though? I thought what you said as well, but the time difference just seemed a bit extreme for that approach.
it very well could account for a difference and with your use, you're noticing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro