An unlimited data plan is essential for mobile phones nowadays in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You bring up a good point.

If you're a streaming user, then unlimited data would probably be a good option. I guess I'm old school. I want my music, movies, and applications on my device. Then I don't have to worry about data usage, and if I'm in the middle of nowhere, I can still enjoy my content.

True, but the OP and some others are confusing "essential" with "preferred".

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
There may be some discounted offerings for Active Duty status. Saw a few things from T Mobile that mention unlimited data, talk, text. Maybe other US carriers have a similar offering? Might help lessen the cost some.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I am on T-Mobiles $100 for two lines, unlimited everything.

On my iPhone, I am up to 23 GB this month and my Note 4, 7GB. I usually use about 30GB on the iPhone and I still have another week to go on my current month.

T-Mobile has never throttled me and I have used as much as 75GB in one month when my DSL modem broke and I used my iPhone to tether to my MBP that week.

Tiered plans are nice but I just choose to pay for unlimited data and always will.

gfederline9

Banned
Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
unlimited data plan will boost the sales of iPhone and big screen smartphone ( android ?) a lot like rocket to the sky
yes it will ,

if I were apple , I would make a apple mobile boardband and sell unlimited data plan for a fair price ( include tethering )for iPhone , and put big advertisement , big slogan saying " real unlimited data plan for a fAir price "

I m sure there will have much more people buy iPhone and smartphone since then

* and then when more and more people buy unlimited data plan , you can use their their browsing data and sell it to companys , give it to advertisement company like google did with their customer data ,
and you can get a lot of profit from customer data , you will know a lot of things , a lot of world wide social information and privacy , secret , like what Google did .

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
unlimited data plan will boost the sales of iPhone and big screen smartphone ( android ?) a lot like rocket to the sky
yes it will ,

if I were apple , I would make a apple mobile boardband and sell unlimited data plan for a fair price ( include tethering )for iPhone , and put big advertisement , big slogan saying " real unlimited data plan for a fAir price "

I m sure there will have much more people buy iPhone and smartphone since then

* and then when more and more people buy unlimited data plan , you can use their their browsing data and sell it to companys , give it to advertisement company like google did with their customer data ,
and you can get a lot of profit from customer data , you will know a lot of things , a lot of world wide social information and privacy , secret , like what Google did .

Ahem: there's a bunch of very good reasons why you are not Apple and never will be.
I just have to ask, though:
Do you practice hard at acting like a brain damaged 2 year old or does it come to you naturally?

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
This guys post was a little misleading but I find it surprising how many people disagree. So you guys are saying you wouldn't WELCOME unlimited data back? Sure it's about discipline but I didn't buy my phone to learn the discipline I bought my phone so I could use apps and stream stuff as it was intended. (lol)

I am currently deployed but for pre-mob I was stuck in Fort Hood Texas with NO wifi to speak of. I ended up upgrading my data plan like 3 times b/c I was not about to be stuck in a barracks all day with no internet... It made me ponder upon how much better things USED to be when we had unlimited data. We have just recently learned to manage our data and stay within our little measly data plans not b/c we want to but because we HAD to.

And I just don't feel it should be that way. I've been paying good money for cellular services since I was 16 (I'm now 32) and I feel I shouldn't have to discipline myself to 6 gigs and wait til I get home to watch a YouTube video b/c carriers want to drain me dry for overages. And since the introduction of LTE anything less than 8 gigs minimum for me is childs play. Sorry rant over. :)

I agree with you 100% on everything you said here, so thankyou for helping to show that you're not the only one who feels this way. Video content can be especially large, so Youtube videos tend to guzzle alot of my data when out and about (something very useful for people who travel long distances either to work or on vacation, etc.) I've even known email backups to instantly kill all my data in the background (even with filtering and blocking as much spam email as possible), so I've had to resort to disabling backups in order to not to kill all my data before I've even got to do anything I wanted for myself on my phone. (admittedly it is good practice to limit those types of things, but it's more the having to actually limit useful things that we are most concerned about.

Don't get me wrong, I hear what people are saying about discipline, but I still find that even with the most disciplined of practices, that I still feel very overly limited in the amount of things I am able to do on the go compared to when I'm on a good stable home WiFi connection.

I agree also with all the posters who mentioned that that public WiFi is not always up to par, so can leave us completely at the mercy of how good any given public connection is for wherever you happen to be. (anyone who has ever stayed in Hotels for example in any country, will be well aware of how much this can vary in terms of signal strength). Some are great, and others just outright suck, and you can't always tell that before you book unless you happen to always use that exact same hotel, but can leave you very stuck without internet for anything that requires decent speeds or sizable data. So the comments people have made about over-restriction are definitely valid.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure this will get better over time. It is definitely a good sign that alot of the USA based iPhone users on here are saying that their limit never runs out due to public WiFi being alot more readily available than in the rest of the world. But even in cities and towns where this is easier to do, wouldn't it still be much more convenient not to have to resort to switching public WiFi connection each time? I'm sure I can't be alone in thinking that the ideal setup would be to just be able to use our iPhone for anything internet that we wanted or needed as freely as we do our own home WiFi connections, wherever we happen to be at the time. This to me would be true mobile internet. So I do hope that we get to see this in the near future.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you 100% on everything you said here, so thankyou for helping to show that you're not the only one who feels this way. Video content can be especially large, so Youtube videos tend to guzzle alot of my data when out and about (something very useful for people who travel long distances either to work or on vacation, etc.) I've even known email backups to instantly kill all my data in the background (even with filtering and blocking as much spam email as possible), so I've had to resort to disabling backups in order to not to kill all my data before I've even got to do anything I wanted for myself on my phone. (admittedly it is good practice to limit those types of things, but it's more the having to actually limit useful things that we are most concerned about.

Don't get me wrong, I hear what people are saying about discipline, but I still find that even with the most disciplined of practices, that I still feel very overly limited in the amount of things I am able to do on the go compared to when I'm on a good stable home WiFi connection.

I agree also with all the posters who mentioned that that public WiFi is not always up to par, so can leave us completely at the mercy of how good any given public connection is for wherever you happen to be. (anyone who has ever stayed in Hotels for example in any country, will be well aware of how much this can vary in terms of signal strength). Some are great, and others just outright suck, and you can't always tell that before you book unless you happen to always use that exact same hotel, but can leave you very stuck without internet for anything that requires decent speeds or sizable data. So the comments people have made about over-restriction are definitely valid.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure this will get better over time. It is definitely a good sign that alot of the USA based iPhone users on here are saying that their limit never runs out due to public WiFi being alot more readily available than in the rest of the world. But even in cities and towns where this is easier to do, wouldn't it still be much more convenient not to have to resort to switching public WiFi connection each time? I'm sure I can't be alone in thinking that the ideal setup would be to just be able to use our iPhone for anything internet that we wanted or needed as freely as we do our own home WiFi connections, wherever we happen to be at the time. This to me would be true mobile internet. So I do hope that we get to see this in the near future.

As long as your response was, you still did not prove that an unlimited data plan is "essential". It is something you prefer and your following statement is proof of that: " I'm sure I can't be alone in thinking that the ideal setup would be to just be able to use our iPhone for anything internet that we wanted or needed as freely as we do our own home WiFi connections,..."

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

What part of this is not possible today?

You CAN "use [y]our iPhone for anything internet [you] wanted or needed as freely as [you] do [y]our own home WiFi connections, wherever [you], wherever [you] happen to be at the time.

No one is stopping you or anyone else. You just have to be willing and able to pay for it. If you are unable or unwilling to pay for it, then you need to use discipline and self control to stay within your budget. No one is preventing you from using your cellular data connection as much as you choose.

Last edited:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I've had unlimited data since sprint first offered it years back but switched off just last year when I realized I wasn't using that much data and saved myself 70 dollars a month. So no it's not essential

gdruin74

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I use 20 to 30g a month and have never been throttled by T-Mobile. Depends on the plan you pick. There are some that throttle after a set amount of data usage.

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: unlimited data plan is desired by many for mobile phone nowadays 2015

What part of this is not possible today?

You CAN "use [y]our iPhone for anything internet [you] wanted or needed as freely as [you] do [y]our own home WiFi connections, wherever [you], wherever [you] happen to be at the time.

No one is stopping you or anyone else. You just have to be willing and able to pay for it. If you are unable or unwilling to pay for it, then you need to use discipline and self control to stay within your budget. No one is preventing you from using your cellular data connection as much as you choose.
Was this a genuine question? (if so, I can elaborate) but I suspect from your previous replies to other posters who differed in opinion to you, that it would simply be more constructive for me to acknowledge that we have differences in opinion, and politely just agree to disagree. I'm not here to fight, it's simply not my way.

But for anyone else who is genuinely interested in any kind of (non antagonistic) discussion, I was simply putting it out there that the posters who had previously mentioned that they (personally) felt they would benefit from having a cellular data plan available to them that was as unlimited as their home WiFi connections, that they are not alone.

Peace.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Was this a genuine question? (if so, I can elaborate) but I suspect from your previous replies to other posters who differed in opinion to you, that it would simply be more constructive for me to acknowledge that we have differences in opinion, and politely just agree to disagree. I'm not here to fight, it's simply not my way.

But for anyone else who is genuinely interested in any kind of (non antagonistic) discussion, I was simply putting it out there that the posters who had previously mentioned that they (personally) felt they would benefit from having a cellular data plan available to them that was as unlimited as their home WiFi connections, that they are not alone.

Peace.
The OP did not state that he would benefit from having an unlimited data plan. He stated that having an unlimited data plan is essential for mobile phones nowadays in 2015, and that is a lie, in general terms.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Peace.

First of all, I appreciate the cheap shot.

I was not being antagonistic. It was an honest question. The OP says that having an unlimited data plan is essential "nowadays". I say it's not essential. But whether or not it's essential, there is nothing that cannot be done using cellular data - and the OP (and the rest of us) are free to use as much data as he (we) want. We just have to pay for it. That's how life works.

There is a fundamental difference between having ubiquitous cellular data and having an available "all you can eat" data for a fixed price. What a cellular provider company offers (or doesn't offer) is up to them to determine. What you or I or any single "customer" claims is essential, is absolutely immaterial.

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
As long as your response was, you still did not prove that an unlimited data plan is "essential". It is something you prefer and your following statement is proof of that: " I'm sure I can't be alone in thinking that the ideal setup would be to just be able to use our iPhone for anything internet that we wanted or needed as freely as we do our own home WiFi connections,..."
Agreed. What you have said here is constructive, so thankyou for jumping in to help clarify the distinction here. While I could tell that this is all that the original poster of this thread had meant, I think it was just the ambiguous use of the word "essential" that led him to be misconstrued as meaning "essential [to everyone]", whereas he like myself would have only meant that as "essential [to those of us who either have needs for greater than is currently available to us]." (...or as you better put it: "ideal", as this is definitely much less ambiguous).

So now that between us we have hopefully cleared up any misunderstanding, hopefully this should help avoid any future misinterpretation, and people can now feel free to join in this discussion without fear, as it is an interesting topic, and can be helpful in regards to the progress of our much beloved technology to let our desires (and the differences between how we each individually use them) to be known by those who design them.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. What you have said here is constructive, so thankyou for jumping in to help clarify the distinction here. While I could tell that this is all that the original poster of this thread had meant, I think it was just the ambiguous use of the word "essential" that led him to be misconstrued as meaning "essential [to everyone]", whereas he like myself would have only meant that as "essential [to those of us who either have needs for greater than is currently available to us]." (...or as you better put it: "ideal", as this is definitely much less ambiguous).

So now that between us we have hopefully cleared up any misunderstanding, hopefully this should help avoid any future misinterpretation, and people can now feel free to join in this discussion without fear, as it is an interesting topic, and can be helpful in regards to the progress of our much beloved technology to let our desires (and the differences between how we each individually use them) to be known by those who design them.

Also germane to this discussion is the OP's history. Take a few minutes to read some of his posts. It will give you a fuller understanding of why some of us respond to these posts the way we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2