How do I find my file extensions / file type in Photo?

I

iMore Question

How do I find my file extensions / file type in "Photo"

I have just converted from a PC to a Macbook and it is driving me crazy! I am sure I will get used to it but it is SO different to windows. I have lots of Raw files and they are all bunched up together with my JPG files so I don't know which is which. When I select view / metadata, nothing happens. I want to have a cleanup but don't want to delete the wrong files. HELP!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do I find my file extensions / file type in "Photo"

In the Photos app on your MacBook, select "Albums". Right-click on a photo and then select "Get Info". It will tell you the extension. From there, you can just tap on each photo to see the associated extension.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do I find my file extensions / file type in "Photo"

Haven't used Photos enough yet to give you a reliable answer from within the program, but you can view the actual files themselves in the filesystem if you want to. If you open Finder and navigate to the Pictures (photos?) folder, there should be a package called "Photos Library". Right click it and choose "View package contents". This will show you the whole folder structure of your Photos library. Your original photos are in the "Masters" sub-folder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2