But don't upload nice photos taken with a decent DSLR camera with high quality resolution. Google compresses it down while mining your metadata to sell to advertisers and to make the whole idea work. I may use it to store wallpapers, gifs and png images.

☮
    if i upload my very personal photo of my and my girlfriend on bed , google will still mine my metadata and sell it to advertisers ?
    05-28-2015 09:59 PM
    if i upload my very personal photo of my and my girlfriend on bed , google will still mine my metadata and sell it to advertisers ?
    You will see ads for condoms.

☮
    05-28-2015 10:05 PM
    Google has proven not to be as transparent as their ambitions had always claimed. Five years ago, I thought they were really in the game to make a difference. But they've become just as untrustworthy and greedy and downright scary as Facebook.
    05-29-2015 03:55 AM
    Google has proven not to be as transparent as their ambitions had always claimed. Five years ago, I thought they were really in the game to make a difference. But they've become just as untrustworthy and greedy and downright scary as Facebook.
    How?

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    05-30-2015 02:44 PM
    Just all this "opt out" crap. Signing us up for new ad platforms without our explicit permission. Burying how we turn it off. Multiple security flaws. The constant tracking of our e-mail. It freaks me out. It's getting harder and harder to avoid.
    05-30-2015 03:53 PM
    Just all this "opt out" crap. Signing us up for new ad platforms without our explicit permission. Burying how we turn it off. Multiple security flaws. The constant tracking of our e-mail. It freaks me out. It's getting harder and harder to avoid.
    It's nothing to worry about. They're not the NSA. They just want to taylor ads you might like. Otherwise, you would get ads you care nothing about.

05-30-2015 06:14 PM
    It's nothing to worry about. They're not the NSA. They just want to taylor ads you might like. Otherwise, you would get ads you care nothing about.

God forbid.

I try to avoid Google as much as possible. It's only a matter of time before they start screwing us over...
    05-30-2015 06:17 PM
    God forbid.

I try to avoid Google as much as possible. It's only a matter of time before they start screwing us over...
    They're all doing it. Google can mine my data all they want. I have nothing to hide except a few girly pics. They do have great services. Except YouTube. Hate how they do YouTube.

05-30-2015 06:28 PM
    But don't upload nice photos taken with a decent DSLR camera with high quality resolution. Google compresses it down while mining your metadata to sell to advertisers and to make the whole idea work. I may use it to store wallpapers, gifs and png images.

☮
    AFAIK, Google does not sell your info. It is for their use only.
    05-31-2015 12:29 AM
    They're all doing it. Google can mine my data all they want. I have nothing to hide except a few girly pics. They do have great services. Except YouTube. Hate how they do YouTube.

Google outed a bunch of people without their consent. Some people do have things to hide and for good reason.
    05-31-2015 03:00 AM
    Google outed a bunch of people without their consent. Some people do have things to hide and for good reason.
    Who have they outed intentionally? Anyway, services like Facebook, Twitter and Yahoo are no different. If this scares you so much, then perhaps it would be better for you to stop using the internet altogether

05-31-2015 06:27 AM
    Who have they outed intentionally? Anyway, services like Facebook, Twitter and Yahoo are no different. If this scares you so much, then perhaps it would be better for you to stop using the internet altogether

Outed by Google: Trans community raises privacy concerns | Al Jazeera America

I didn't say they did it intentionally, though.
    05-31-2015 02:05 PM
    I use yet another (sugarsync) and like it well enough. I'm struggling to figure out a good storage strategy that enables search of photos, however, and that works with auto backup.

How do you (if) label each picture or apply meta data to use in Photos or your app of choice? For example, my ideal state would be to only use apples free 5gb for any recent pic that I want synced and immediate access, but then my full set of pics backed up, but searchable.

Any suggestions on how I should think about this?
    06-08-2015 04:43 PM
63 123