Evidence that new Apple Watch models are coming soon

dlopes6

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I went down to my local Apple Store to try on the Apple Watch that I pre-ordered. I noticed on the Apple Watch glass display that there were noticiable "empty spots" mixed in with the different collections. Now knowing how Apple is so fixated on detail, I really doubt they would purposely leave empty round circles where watches would normally be placed. This to me is evidence that Apple will add different styles during the year to fill in those "empty gaps", and to also refresh the look of the different bands and finishes that are currently available. My opinion is that I don't think Apple will do yearly cycles on the Apple Watch. But instead, I think they will add different styles for the next 2 years and maybe do a 2 year hardware refresh cycle on the watch instead of the usual one year cycle that Apple is normally used to. I also strongly believe that all the bands that work on the first generation Apple Watch will most definitely work on the second gen. So if that holds true, the bands you buy will work for you for at least the next 4 years....that is if my prediction is correct. Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 34

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Your prediction could certainly be correct...but I don't think those empty spaces are any indication of this at all, nor do I think we'll see any additional variants outside of what is already available in the Apple Store any time soon. Those empty spaces are most likely just spots for any one of the various finish/size/color/band/metal options that were not specifically on display right there...keep in mind, there are A LOT of band options for each watch, so that makes the unique setup numbers pretty high.

dlopes6

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
The apple watch display that's in the photo has all the 38 different variations you can currently purchase right now. Apple will eventually add more models in the near time future because rather than Apple having to replace the entire display every time they add a new watch they can just add in to the empty slot. And when then happens 7-8 months from now it will just fill up the entire glass display for the following year. This way when Gen. 2 comes out they can then phase out the gen. 1 hardware.

dlopes6

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I just realized that the empty slots match if they where to eventually do a space black stainless steal model with a matching band for it in the Apple Watch collection. Because right now you can only get the silver stainless steal with most of the bands.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The apple watch display that's in the photo has all the 38 different variations you can currently purchase right now. Apple will eventually add more models in the near time future because rather than Apple having to replace the entire display every time they add a new watch they can just add in to the empty slot. And when then happens 7-8 months from now it will just fill up the entire glass display for the following year. This way when Gen. 2 comes out they can then phase out the gen. 1 hardware.

I mean that's just as good a theory as anything else, I just don't think it's accurate...but whatever floats your boat! Like I said before, I think the empty slots are just variant options that aren't shown on the website or in the store at this time (IE: Gold model with sport band)

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I went down to my local Apple Store to try on the Apple Watch that I pre-ordered. I noticed on the Apple Watch glass display that there were noticiable "empty spots" mixed in with the different collections. Now knowing how Apple is so fixated on detail, I really doubt they would purposely leave empty round circles where watches would normally be placed. This to me is evidence that Apple will add different styles during the year to fill in those "empty gaps", and to also refresh the look of the different bands and finishes that are currently available. My opinion is that I don't think Apple will do yearly cycles on the Apple Watch. But instead, I think they will add different styles for the next 2 years and maybe do a 2 year hardware refresh cycle on the watch instead of the usual one year cycle that Apple is normally used to. I also strongly believe that all the bands that work on the first generation Apple Watch will most definitely work on the second gen. So if that holds true, the bands you buy will work for you for at least the next 4 years....that is if my prediction is correct. Lol

I think if and when Apple added new styles it would be on at least yearly basis.
I'm just speculating but if a new style were added say in September the customer that purchased in April may feel jerked around as in why wasn't that style offered in the release. If they had a new style to add say in September I would think it's ready now.
It's possible that store displays hold certain number of watches and the store didn't have the number to fill it up. It could be that simple.
The watches that are available to try on do they come from the display? Or are they "in the back". I don't know how that's handled.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think if and when Apple added new styles it would be on at least yearly basis.
I'm just speculating but if a new style were added say in September the customer that purchased in April may feel jerked around as in why wasn't that style offered in the release. If they had a new style to add say in September I would think it's ready now.
It's possible that store displays hold certain number of watches and the store didn't have the number to fill it up. It could be that simple.
The watches that are available to try on do they come from the display? Or are they "in the back". I don't know how that's handled.

This is one of many reasons why they wouldn't mix new models with old in that fashion...not unless they were just completely different tiers of watches, and I highly doubt we'd see that on anything more frequent than a yearly update (like we see with everything else in Apple's line up).

I'm almost certain those vacant spots are for unusually optioned variants that aren't the common options seen on the website (again, IE: gold with sport band).

dlopes6

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
This is one of many reasons why they wouldn't mix new models with old in that fashion...not unless they were just completely different tiers of watches, and I highly doubt we'd see that on anything more frequent than a yearly update (like we see with everything else in Apple's line up).

I'm almost certain those vacant spots are for unusually optioned variants that aren't the common options seen on the website (again, IE: gold with sport band).

The glass display in the picture has EVERY model, including the gold with the white sports band and there were still a bunch of empty spots. And I don't believe they'll do a hardware refresh every year, but I do think they will add "different styles". Remember this isn't a tech product that Apple normally does. Think of it more as a fashion product. Just like how Beats comes out with new colors of headphones through out the year to refresh their fashion look. If this is true it will essentially be the same hardware just different colors and maybe new materials and finishes added in within the current collections. If you think about it, if Apple comes out with a gen 2 product next year, I can certainly believe that would leave a bunch of customers upset that they spent upwards to $1,000 for a "new " watch and now is replaced with 2nd gen. hardware. And where would they fit gen. 1 and gen. 2 models in the same glass display? This is a completely different product that Apple has ever realeased. If they come out say in October right before Christmas season with all new "styles" that fit in with the current collections that would bridge the gap of them releasing gen. 2 hardware maybe a little longer than a one year cycle. Also there are rumors that Apple is going to add a platinum version of the edition watch sometime late this year. So I'm guessing when that comes out it will fit into one of those "empty spots" next to the current Apple Edition watches.

And to answer the other question, when you go on for the try on experience they don't take the watches out of the glass display at all. They have a seperate secret drawer that Apple employees have to unlock with their iPhones and it only holds certain models of the watches. Roughly around 12-15 of the models are in the drawer as opposed to the full 38 variations that Apple currently sells.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think they had someone build a display case to hold "at least" X number of watches, and as it happens with how the display was made, there were a few spots extra. I don't think they're there for any specific purpose.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

dlopes6

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
That could very well be true. But I just think that the empty spots are purposely placed in between the various collections. Knowing how Apple is all about design and everything looking perfect it just looks odd that their are sometimes 1 gap between watches and some gaps are 2 full empty slots in between the different models within a particular collection. You can tell the display will look really nice once all the empty slots are filled with newer styles of watches that fit into the current 3 collections. But then again, it's Apple we are talking about and they can pretty much do anything they want. But for business and marketing sense it would be probable for Apple to introduce new styles later this year that still use the same Gen. 1 hardware. This way Apple can wait a little longer then a 1 year life cycle to introduce a gen. 2.

And I do believe that the current bands on the Apple watch will most definitely work with all future models of the Apple watch going further. This way when new apple watch hardware comes out, you can still keep all your older bands around. This will make buying new models of the watch a lot cheaper for consumers because Apple won't have to include the bands if you currently own your own band.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Buddy...you're trying too hard here to push your theory, lol. We get it...you THINK this is what those spaces are for. That's fantastic...nobody is telling you that you are wrong. I for one don't think that is what they are for, but honestly, I don't really care much either, lol.

And to point out, there are no gold watches with the colored sport bands in that picture...nor were there any in the SAME DISPLAY at my local Apple store that I went to yesterday. The interchangeable band options would take up a lot of room given the amount of different combos you could make. My comment was saying that the extras spaces COULD be for those different combos.

Bottom line, you have a theory, I have a theory...nobody is right or wrong because nobody knows, lol.

dlopes6

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
look at the picture again..there is the gold with the white sports band all the way at the end. And again the glass display at the Apple Store has ALL 38 possible different combinations of the watches. That includes different band options and different materials. There are 38 total in the glass display and Apple only sells 38 different apple watches. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, but my theory holds true with all the facts that I'm stating.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
look at the picture again..there is the gold with the white sports band all the way at the end. And again the glass display at the Apple Store has ALL 38 possible different combinations of the watches. That includes different band options and different materials. There are 38 total in the glass display and Apple only sells 38 different apple watches. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, but my theory holds true with all the facts that I'm stating.

Where are the gold models with the blue, green or red sports bands? Black sports band?

Where are the rose gold models with the sports bands?

Where are the stainless steel models with all the sports bands?

See where I'm going with this?

I'll give you a hint...they're not there, just like they weren't there in the case that was at my store that was setup EXACTLY the same as the one you took a picture of.

There are 2 different Rose gold models (38mm and 42mm), there are 2 different yellow gold models (38mm and 42mm). Within those two watches ALONE, there are 20 different combinations you could come up with using ONLY the sport band colors, lol. Do the math to figure out the rest of the possible combinations.

Like I said, the empty spots COULD be for what you said, they could also be for what I said...they could also just be empty spots for no logical reason, or maybe to put magical unicorn coins that open up a wormhole to candy land where pixies prance around in fields of gumdrops.

Your theory doesn't hold "true" anymore than any other theory out there, regardless of how much you believe it.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It's possible that having those spaces are just for display options like 3 in a row space then 2. They could switch it up after a period of time.
I've never done retail but there are all kinds of display tricks certain retailers use. To give subliminal cues. Or maybe having spaces doesn't overwhelm the customer like a full case. Who knows why it's like that.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Retail merchandising is an artful science... Personally I don't think you can take empty space in a display as anything other than empty space... options for distribution of present models and adjust as time goes on... does not necessarily foretell anything about future new models... until they happen to show up...

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site

You could be correct but that also could just be at your particular Apple Store. It would be different if that setup was at every Apple Store (and it could be). Also, Apple's main concern is meeting or exceeding its sales goal for their products. This changes from product to product and from year to year. The watch may be updated yearly and the price of it may change. The original iPhone started at $599. A few months later it was $399. The following summer the 3G came out and it started at $199. People buying a first generation device understand there may be price drops and/or yearly updated models.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I doubt they plan a product line increase based on the amount of holes available in the table. Or vice versa. It just means they wanted to be flexible with the display for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73