Apple Is Talking to TV Programmers About Its Own Web TV Service

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
"Apple has spent years circling the TV business, without ever really getting into the TV business. Now it may be ready to try again.

Industry executives say Apple is in talks with TV programmers about deals that would allow Apple to offer an ?over the top? pay-TV service, like the one Dish has started selling with its Sling TV product, and the one Sony is getting ready to launch."

Apple Is Talking to TV Programmers About Its Own Web TV Service

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Could be a good thing if one can select what they get ala-carte and not be forced into a package with some inane channels to get the ones they want...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
REAL TIME. That is the key word people get stuck on with a lot of these optional services...if Johnny Public can't watch The Walking Dead in real time, they'll stay where they are...regardless of the benefits or cost of the service over the net.

They have to carry prime time television in real time to be successful.

Nathan Bael

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes and no on real time Sean. Most people I know DVR their programs and watch later. I think that as long as it was same day it wouldn't be an issue. The question is if you will be able to skip commercials.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes and no on real time Sean. Most people I know DVR their programs and watch later. I think that as long as it was same day it wouldn't be an issue. The question is if you will be able to skip commercials.

Yes, a very large % of the consumer base use DVR's so they can watch the shows on their own time...but the kicker is the initial airing. What if you WANT to see the episode of Scandal, but you can DVR an episode of Arrow to watch later...but you can't watch Scandal in real time because you don't get real time shows? At the same time a large % of customers use DVR's, I'd say most of those customers do watch certain things LIVE.

And then there's the licensing for sporting events. I wouldn't even begin to consider an Apple TV service if sports weren't live...and that is a HUGE sector of consumer.

This is all theoretical because we have no idea what their TV plans are, but I think real time airing is very important too success...just as important as the ability to watch it on demand (whether DVR or streaming).

Nathan Bael

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
You bring up a very good point on sports. I don't personally watch them so I sometimes forget to factor them in. I think that as long as they offered the major channels in real time such as ABC, CBS, NBC, etc., then they shouldn't have an issue. For me it is more an issue of cost. If Apple can't price competitively, the. I wouldn't be interested.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73