I always think about this when I'm getting the urge to buy a new tech product, "Would it be needed? Or is it just on impulse?" I find myself making more rational decisions that way, but I still face the occasional temptation to justify something I really like but something I don't really need...

For the most part I buy something really need at the moment...at least I hope I do haha.

What about you? What goes on in your head when you look at a tech product? Tell us all about how you go about deciding whether to purchase a product or not.
    12-21-2014 10:18 AM
    Do I Need It?

Does it do the same thing that something I already own does?

How much use will it get?

How Durable Is it?

How Much Does It cost?

Is it really worth that price?

This is how I ended up with an Xbox One over a week ago. Best thing I have owned for a long time. I am still debating whether to get a tablet or not though. I just might seeing as I won't be getting a new phone anytime soon.
    Speedygi likes this.
    12-21-2014 10:32 AM
    At this stage I'm starting to whip my tech addiction and think more rationally as opposed to before where the primary decision was "Is this the latest tech?"
    Speedygi likes this.
    12-21-2014 10:38 AM
    Is it a need (doesn't always work for me)

Mostly for me, will it enhance with what I already have.
    Speedygi and mumfoau like this.
    12-21-2014 10:41 AM
    My decision process usually centers in need and practicality. Of course, price and (perceived) value often factors in.

I went through a time where, because money was not really a limiting factor, I was somewhat less analytical about the purchase process/decision. But as I seriously contemplate my retirement, cost and absolute need are once again major considerations.
    Speedygi likes this.
    12-21-2014 11:04 AM
    For me it's how long will I obsess over wanting it. When I find myself going back to it over and over I pull the trigger and buy

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk
    12-21-2014 11:06 AM
    Will it satisfy my needs and can I afford it. It doesn't always work out the way I want it.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    12-21-2014 11:17 AM
    I think "Can I afford it?" and "Do I really truly want it?".

Yes to both and it's mine.
    A895, Speedygi and mumfoau like this.
    12-21-2014 02:08 PM
    Y'all are forgetting the most important component of decision making: Take to social media and forums for crowd sourced affirmation...
    mumfoau, phreddyl, A895 and 1 others like this.
    12-21-2014 02:35 PM
    Y'all are forgetting the most important component of decision making: Take to social media and forums for crowd sourced affirmation...
    Hahaha! Omg so true. Ended up being peer iMore pressured into getting another iPhone 6!
    kch50428 likes this.
    12-21-2014 02:50 PM
    Once I've identified a want, the only real thought process I have is "Does the wife want one too? Can I afford to buy two right now?" (since the answer is almost always yes, lol)
    A895 and Speedygi like this.
    12-21-2014 03:29 PM
    For me its if I want it, and can afford it, I buy it. I tend to make impulse buys and regret it later. Thankfully tech can be resold.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    12-21-2014 04:26 PM
    I've become much more practical the older I get. I question, do I really need it and can I afford it. I'm not interested in always having the latest and greatest.
    12-21-2014 04:27 PM
    Does it have what I want?

Does it do all I want it to do?

Will I actually use it once my excitement dies down?
    Speedygi, A895 and the_tech_eater like this.
    12-21-2014 04:28 PM

Will I actually use it once my excitement dies down?
    This!

Speedygi likes this.
    12-21-2014 04:29 PM
    Does it have the best specs compared to a similarly priced device from a different company?
    Speedygi likes this.
    12-21-2014 05:27 PM
    Does it have the best specs compared to a similarly priced device from a different company?
    In the case of most iOS devices that would not be the case....

12-21-2014 08:54 PM
    When ever I buy something new, I like to research on the product thoroughly and get a full review pros and cons diagnosis. I'm all about aesthetics and his the product works and performs. The user experience has to be awesome and the design outstanding. I'm a very visual person who like things that look good and obviously function to it expected capacity.
    I also thing about price.....
    With the 6 plus being so darn expensive $1230 for the 128bg version, I had to think about why I needed all the space and why this product was a have to get device. I laid down the features and usability aspects and knew this was a device I had to get to the fullest user experience (128gb).
    I've never looked back.....
    It's been awesome.
    I recently bought a ps4 and boy have I been having a blast

Sent from my iPhone 6plus using Tapatalk
    Speedygi likes this.
    12-21-2014 09:01 PM
    I usually ask myself..

What will I use it for?

Do I already have something similar to it?

Will it be useful to me in the future or is it something I would get tired of quickly?

I have an iPad mini that I don't use as much anymore now that I have my iPhone 6. So I'm shopping for my 1st (yay!!) Mac book and keep all of that in mind..
    Speedygi likes this.
    12-21-2014 10:03 PM
    What do I need it for?
    Ease of use, convenience, power
    Does it meet my needs?
    12-22-2014 02:42 AM
    Do I need it?
    Will it improve my workflow?
    Is their other devices that would be a better choice/fit my needs better?
    Is it an improvement to what I have?
    Can I afford it?
    (If it's a phone) is the performance difference noticeably faster in real world usage?
    (If it's a computer part) is the performance gain worth the price vs what I currently have?

Sent from my jailbroken 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S or Surface 2 using Tapatalk
    12-22-2014 07:52 AM
    The features in a piece of tech are what drive me to purchase a device.
    The bigger screen of the 6 Plus and Apple Pay got me this year. Last year with the 5S it was Touch ID.
    In 2012 the Black Slate iPhone 5 got me although I didn't pull the trigger on it.
    Touch ID, A8 and thinness is driving me to a iPad Air 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12-22-2014 08:38 AM
    I do always ask myself if I do really need it? If I, does it really worth to spend for? Then I foresee myself using it if I will be really satisfied on what I spend.
    Speedygi likes this.
    12-22-2014 09:09 AM
    I ask myself if I really need it. However, I'm such a weak person when it comes to tech. I always want the latest. LOL! It's really funny because I'm not really a techno guru. I mean, I just know enough to get by. I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as so many on this site about all the different aspects of technology. I just like tech.
    12-22-2014 10:14 AM
    In the case of most iOS devices that would not be the case....

The plus does have higher specs than the 6.
    12-22-2014 03:03 PM
39 12