Motorola ROKR E1?

Smply_Rcklss

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone remember when Jobs teamed up w Moto to create apples "first" iPhone ? Long story short, I'm looking for one, seems it doesn't exist. I wanna have some hands on w it. Seemed like an interesting device, know where I can find one ?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone remember when Jobs teamed up w Moto to create apples "first" iPhone ? Long story short, I'm looking for one, seems it doesn't exist. I wanna have some hands on w it. Seemed like an interesting device, know where I can find one ?

Calling it the first "iPhone" is a bit silly, but I get your point...it was called the Motorola Rokr E1, and you can buy them on eBay occasionally. Essentially, it was just a piece of junk Motorola candy bar phone that could connect to iTunes and had a primitive version of iTunes media player on the device. From what I've read, only the first variant of the device was iTunes compatible.

Smply_Rcklss

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Calling it the first "iPhone" is a bit silly, but I get your point...it was called the Motorola Rokr E1, and you can buy them on eBay all day long. Essentially, it was just a piece of junk Motorola candy bar phone that could connect to iTunes and had a primitive version of iTunes media player on the device. From what I've read, only the first variant of the device was iTunes compatible.

Yeah, calling it that was a bit of a reach. I'll check there, I couldn't remember the name of it. I seen a short story of it on I believe CNET, explaining the failure of it. Seemed like a poor attempt at a phone as well.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, calling it that was a bit of a reach. I'll check there, I couldn't remember the name of it. I seen a short story of it on I believe CNET, explaining the failure of it. Seemed like a poor attempt at a phone as well.

When I first wrote my response I searched ROKR on eBay and got a ton of results, but after refining the search for the E1, I could only find a couple (one english version and one Russian version). They seem to be harder to find than I thought, and honestly, the asking prices on both of them were way more than I would ever dream of spending on one. Especially since it would not work with modern iTunes software.

Smply_Rcklss

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
When I first wrote my response I searched ROKR on eBay and got a ton of results, but after refining the search for the E1, I could only find a couple (one english version and one Russian version). They seem to be harder to find than I thought, and honestly, the asking prices on both of them were way more than I would ever dream of spending on one. Especially since it would not work with modern iTunes software.

Ya, no kidding.. I'll pass on them. Not really what I wanna pay for something I wanna tinker with. Since its running iOS software, think its possible to jailbreak it, if I found some older hack or something similar ?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Ya, no kidding.. I'll pass on them. Not really what I wanna pay for something I wanna tinker with. Since its running iOS software, think its possible to jailbreak it, if I found some older hack or something similar ?

It's not running iOS software...not even a semblance of iOS. It's running a very basic version of iTunes software within motorola's own mobile OS.

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site

So technically it is a collectors item.... That other may not be that interested in?

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

I actually owned one of these phones. The only thing special about it was that you could load 100 songs (hard limit) from iTunes onto it and I think it was the first cell phone with stereo speakers. Other than that it was exactly like every other Motorola phone at the time. Nothing Apple or iPhone about it.

I actually liked the phone but only had it for a little while.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Did it work out okay for you when you owned it?

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Yeah. It was a pretty cool experience. I didn't use iTunes at the time though. This was a phone that I just used for calls and text before I got tech savvy. The Rokr, it was my favorite. Had it replaced 3 times with Verizon I liked it so much. I preferred the one with the blue backlight on the keyboard.

Edit: Oops, I did not have the E1. Mine was the Z6.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711