What's the favorite thing you like about Macs?

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Macs have dominated the music industry for years. This is why Apple has a Grammy. Traditionally Macs have been easier for musicians to use not having to worry about DOS errors years ago.
Macs were what you made music on which is why I went to Mac over 20 years ago.
Most people would be amazed at how many of their favorite songs are recorded, mixed and mastered on a Mac and have been for years.
Whenever you hear a song on Pandora and said "Mac" you would probably be correct 9 out 10 times.
When it comes to producing music and film price isn't a concern for a professional. Ease of use a familiarity is.
PC's are being used in professional audio applications but I believe Macs still very much dominate.
I would much rather spend 3K or more on a Mac Pro than 1K on a PC for my use. I could basically take a Mac Pro and plug it in to the wall and keep working. I couldn't do that with a PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you seriously think they use $1,000 PCs and not $3,000 workstations to do it (just as well) on Windows, then I guess I can see where you're coming from. Otherwise, it's lost upon me.

The price difference between PC and Mac in the WORKSTATION Market (with similar specs on each machine) is much less than the difference between the two in the DESKTOP PC market because that market segment simply isn't as price sensitive as the consumer market.

Mac Pros are Workstation-Class machines, not General Purpose Desktop PCs. Compare an iMac to the $1,000 Windows PC, not a Mac Pro. Comparing a Mac Pro to that makes no sense. Such a cheap PC won't even be able to run Pro Apps well with any decently-sized projects.

Also, yes, you can do that with a PC. Windows runs many of the same Pro Apps as OSX with virtually the same feature set and performance assuming similar machine specifications. Plug it in and keep working, just don't try to do what is meant for a workstation on an underpowered desktop.

Last edited:

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Macs have dominated the music industry for years. This is why Apple has a Grammy. Traditionally Macs have been easier for musicians to use not having to worry about DOS errors years ago.
Macs were what you made music on which is why I went to Mac over 20 years ago.
Most people would be amazed at how many of their favorite songs are recorded, mixed and mastered on a Mac and have been for years.
Whenever you hear a song on Pandora and said "Mac" you would probably be correct 9 out 10 times.
When it comes to producing music and film price isn't a concern for a professional. Ease of use a familiarity is.
PC's are being used in professional audio applications but I believe Macs still very much dominate.
I would much rather spend 3K or more on a Mac Pro than 1K on a PC for my use. I could basically take a Mac Pro and plug it in to the wall and keep working. I couldn't do that with a PC.

Same as the video editing and photography industry, and most of the software industry.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Crapatalk

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
If you seriously think they use $1,000 PCs and not $3,000 workstations to do it (just as well) on Windows, then I guess I can see where you're coming from. Otherwise, it's lost upon me.

The price difference between PC and Mac in the WORKSTATION Market (with similar specs on each machine) is much less than the difference between the two in the DESKTOP PC market because that market segment simply isn't as price sensitive as the consumer market.

Mac Pros are Workstation-Class machines, not General Purpose Desktop PCs. Compare an iMac to the $1,000 Windows PC, not a Mac Pro. Comparing a Mac Pro to that makes no sense. Such a cheap PC won't even be able to run Pro Apps well with any decently-sized projects.

Also, yes, you can do that with a PC. Windows runs many of the same Pro Apps as OSX with virtually the same feature set and performance assuming similar machine specifications. Plug it in and keep working, just don't try to do what is meant for a workstation on an underpowered desktop.

Macs are both work station grade and general use machines. Why do the music, video, software, photography industry as a whole use macs, yet macs are the most popular computers on college campuses? The question isn't if those things can be done on PCs, it's why aren't they? There is a reason the mentioned industries don't use PCs in general.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Macs are both work station grade and general use machines. Why do the music, video, software, photography industry as a whole use macs, yet macs are the most popular computers on college campuses? The question isn't if those things can be done on PCs, it's why aren't they? There is a reason the mentioned industries don't use PCs in general.

I am not sure you know what you're talking about. MacBooks and iMacs are desktop grade machines. They use desktop processors (core be Xeon for example), desktop class graphics cards (Radeon vs firegl for example), desktop class RAM (ecc vs no ecc), etc.

The workstation class devices and components cost like 3x that of their desktop counterparts. This is why the machines cost so much. The computer is way more reliable and its performance is optimized for different tasks than a desktop or gaming machine or something you use on a general office desk.

The two types of machines are in completely different categories.

An iMac or MacBook is not a workstation, it's a personal computer.

College campuses don't need workstations everywhere. For general use, outside of labs and specific scenarios that demand workstation class equipment, managed desktop equipment serves the purpose just fine.

There are workstations in the notebook form factor. Just cause it sits on the desk doesn't make it that b

All OEMs distinguish desktop systems from Workstations in their product line.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure you know what you're talking about. MacBooks and iMacs are desktop grade machines. They use desktop processors (core be Xeon for example), desktop class graphics cards (Radeon vs firegl for example), desktop class RAM (ecc vs no ecc), etc.

The workstation class devices and components cost like 3x that of their desktop counterparts. This is why the machines cost so much. The computer is way more reliable and its performance is optimized for different tasks than a desktop or gaming machine or something you use on a general office desk.

College campuses don't need workstations everywhere. For general use, outside of labs and specific scenarios that demand workstation class equipment, managed desktop equipment serves the purpose just fine.

You still haven't addressed or even attempted to address why said industries use macs over PCs.
And i wasn't talking about the actual college using the macs, I was talking about the students using them, although the college I'm attending next year uses iMacs for their graphic design and computer science departments.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
But quite honestly, I don't care. I have had a terrible experience with windows and a wonderful experience with macs and will never use windows on a laptop or desktop again. I have a windows at work to run Quickbooks, and some mornings it won't open quickbooks. It's laggy and buggy and my family's computer is the same way.

Geodude074

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Man I love PCs. I feel kind of bad for the people who don't know how to operate a PC. I just built a budget gaming PC for my kid brother this holiday weekend. $450 for an Intel Pentium G3258, GTX 750 Ti build that will blow the casing off a PS4 or Xbox One. You can't do that with a Mac.

I'm also toying around with a sub $200 ultra-low-wattage HTPC build. It's going to do nothing but stay connected to my TV 24/7 as my media server. Now wherever I go, I can stick my $35 Chromecast into any HDMI outlet and watch all my media on it. You *can* do the same with a Mac, but it would be 5 times the price at least.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You still haven't addressed or even attempted to address why said industries use macs over PCs.
And i wasn't talking about the actual college using the macs, I was talking about the students using them, although the college I'm attending next year uses iMacs for their graphic design and computer science departments.

Culture and History.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
But quite honestly, I don't care. I have had a terrible experience with windows and a wonderful experience with macs and will never use windows on a laptop or desktop again. I have a windows at work to run Quickbooks, and some mornings it won't open quickbooks. It's laggy and buggy and my family's computer is the same way.

Disregarding the obvious overstating and exaggeration, I doubt Windows is the problem there.

Really, I do.

Considering it's the premier platform for gaming and it seems to run those fine, your story about a PC lagging running QuickBooks seems far fetched.

Unless you're talking about a 15!year old computer. Cause I have a 9 year old machine that runs Windows 7 flawlessly. I can raid in WOW with 20 people in the instance at 25-35 FPS, and it's running mid ranged hardware much of which is over half a decade old because there is limited upgrade options with such a small PSU and the fact that it's just... Old...

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Disregarding the obvious overstating and exaggeration, I doubt Windows is the problem there.

Really, I do.

Considering it's the premier platform for gaming and it seems to run those fine, your story about a PC lagging running QuickBooks seems far fetched.

Unless you're talking about a 15!year old computer. Cause I have a 9 year old machine that runs Windows 7 flawlessly. I can raid in WOW with 20 people in the instance at 25-35 FPS, and it's running mid ranged hardware much of which is over half a decade old because there is limited upgrade options with such a small PSU and the fact that it's just... Old...

It was purchased last year new. It's an HP of some sort. You can doubt it all you want. But it's true. I could take a video of it tomorrow and post it here. There was zero overstating or exaggeration. It usually takes about 10 minutes to open quickbooks. You could also ask the customer who had to wait 30 minutes to get his check when it should have taken 5 because quickbooks wasn't open and it took 30 minutes and a computer restart to get it open. (And I had to write the check manually which put the company at risk of having the check forged). Yeah. I have had a terrible experience with windows.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
No video is needed. I can make most any Apache lag on demand if I wanted to make a video. Not saying you will. But your experience is not indicative of how Windows performs even on lower end desktop and notebook laptops.

We have 3 Windows laptops and a Mac in here.

I'm well aware of how it performs even on lower mid range hardware. One is a 1.3 GHz e-300 AMD machine. That's practically netbook spec. It runs Windows 7 just fine.

Perhaps check how much RAM is in the machine. I don't see how a 1 year old PC would have trouble running something that is probably less demanding than Microsoft Word 2013.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
No video is needed. I can make most any Apache lag on demand if I wanted to make a video. Not saying you will. But your experience is not indicative of how Windows performs even on lower end desktop and notebook laptops.

We have 3 Windows laptops and a Mac in here.

I'm well aware of how it performs even on lower mid range hardware. One is a 1.3 GHz e-300 AMD machine. That's practically netbook spec. It runs Windows 7 just fine.

Perhaps check how much RAM is in the machine. I don't see how a 1 year old PC would have trouble running something that is probably less demanding than Microsoft Word 2013.

It has 4GB and an AMD processor although I'm not sure of the specs. I don't keep up with technology like I used to. 6 months ago i could have told you the specs of almost any device on the market, now I care nothing lol. My family has a Dell Inspiron from 2012 and it's nothing short of a POC! Crashes, legs, and is slower than slow. Like I'm talking 2-5 seconds for the start screen to show up. It has 4GB of ram and a Intel core duo.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It has 4GB and an AMD processor although I'm not sure of the specs. I don't keep up with technology like I used to. 6 months ago i could have told you the specs of almost any device on the market, now I care nothing lol.

It's probably the CPU if it's a low end APU. My AMD laptop has an A10 Elite Quad Core so it's comparable to a mid-range Haswell Dual Core Intel, but the GPU is much superior.

But I've seen it run better on worse hardware so it can also be a result of what's running on the thing (probably has a slow platter drive and slow ram as well, among other things).

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
It's probably the CPU if it's a low end APU. My AMD laptop has an A10 Elite Quad Core so it's comparable to a mid-range Haswell Dual Core Intel, but the GPU is much superior.

But I've seen it run better on worse hardware so it can also be a result of what's running on the thing (probably has a slow platter drive and slow ram as well, among other things).

Yeah probably. I know not all computers are created equal, and to get a good computer you have to spend a decent amount. So I'm sure there are some nice PCs, I am content with Mac for the rest of my life though.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

There are workstations in the notebook form factor. Just cause it sits on the desk doesn't make it that b

All OEMs distinguish desktop systems from Workstations in their product line.

I believe that term workstation is a issue here.
What can be done on what's classified as a desktop has now fallen into the category of workstation.
I would believe that Avid workstations are the norm in TV and News. But not so much in music or film.
There are users editing independent film projects in iMacs. So therefore the iMac is a workstation. The MacBook Pro is a workstation.
One doesn't need a Avid Turnkey System for film or Audio projects. I wouldn't be surprised if some field pieces that we see on CNN are edited on MacBook Pro in a hotel room.
A Protools HD system for Audio can still run you 10k still doing non native processing.
Were the line is drawn now in recording audio is sample rate and native processing.
A totally tricked out iMac can probably do 48k recording with intensive native processing.
Protools workstations in the past did the processing offline not using the computers processor.
So we are at a time where the "desktop" is a workstation.