What's the favorite thing you like about Macs?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
The design is the best part. But the amazing experience brought when they create the perfect combination of hardware is also amazing. Apple can take standard components, weave them together around OSX, and make a computer faster and more efficient than any high powered Windows box.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I love how Macs package software. Need to move the app, well drag it around. Need to dig into it and edit or view core files of the app? You can do that too! Great of novices as it is hard to break but great for experienced users as well since they can still dig around.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Without a doubt Mission Control. It is the most efficient way to work as a designer with multiple programs and monitors.

Photography projects have made me absolutely adore the mission control function...visual multitasking heaven, lol!

I personally love the fact that I don't have to worry about my Macbook Pro in any facet. I don't ever think about whether it's going to be up to a project, or whether it's developing issues because it always functions flawlessly and it never even breaks a sweat.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
My MacBook Air is sleek and downright sexy. And the IOS enables even a screaming techtard like me to use it without imploding.

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
For the macbook, it has to be the aluminum structure. For the imac, it is the display.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting my first Mac next year. Saving up already.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Yah I've gotten tired of Windows 8.1. It's meant for touchscreen devices and it doesn't translate well to my laptop. So.....since my laptop is old and I'll have to replace it soon, I'll just go all out and get myself my first MacBook Pro. I think it's the right that I went all in with Apple products. Each one I've tried has been a total success so....

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of which.....I've got an external hard drive for backup.
I do a lot of photos and videos.
I'm thinking of getting started with a Mac Air.
Obviously my external hard drive is for a PC. Will I be able to bake it up to my Air without trouble?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
It depends on how the drive is formatted. If it is NTFS then the Mac can only read from it not write to it. There are third party drivers that enable writing to NTFS drives but I've never used them. If the drive is formatted as FAT, then both Windows and OS X can read and write to it.

I'm fairly certain it's NTFS. Just my luck.

First I have to find the darn thing. I've got it stored away so securely that I've forgotten where I've put it.

kellyjdrummer

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm fairly certain it's NTFS. Just my luck.

First I have to find the darn thing. I've got it stored away so securely that I've forgotten where I've put it.

If you intend to install any Windows OS (7.0 up) using Bootcamp (which is provided in the Mavericks and Yosemite OSes to allow users to run two partitions separately [one Apple, one Microsoft]), the external drive will need to be formatted as exFAT, providing access (read/write) from the Yosemite and Windows OSes, individually. I use a SONY video suite to take care of my business/client projects and it is only available to Microsoft operating systems, so I have the experience of needing to figure this out. I use Photoshop (two versions,) SONY Vegas Pro 11 and SONY DVD/BD Architect in a professional environment. The SONY stuff in Windows (as well as PSCS5 Extended for Windows) and PSCS6 Extended in Yosemite.

When I initially set up my Macbook Pro, I used (and still do) five external hard drives, one is partitioned to use with Time Machine in Yosemite for backups, and it actually contains two partitions. Photoshop would not save to an NTFS formatted drive directly, which all were upon taking delivery of my Macbook Pro. I had to save to the desktop from Photoshop (Windows and, then, Mountain Lion,) close Photoshop, then drag the file to the hard drive. Very annoying.

The Apple Communities (forums) provide "How-Tos" on this procedure, as do the Adobe forums for those using Adobe video and image manipulation applications.

If you intend to use your external drive on separate machines at different times (moving between two or more machines) and desire read/write permissions on it from separate machines, it will need to be formatted as exFAT. exFAT plays well with both Apple and MS.

Having said all of that, if anyone reading this has information that refutes my statements, feel free to (nicely) provide me with the correct information. As it is now, these have been my experiences. I had to do this to five external hard drives, ranging from 250 gb to 2 tb. I have had no issues at all, using two different operating systems on a 500gb flash drive at 8 gb RAM since sorting this out two years ago. The first month was a nightmare. Not that the equipment was in error, but that Microsoft doesn't like to share with Apple as Apple does with Microsoft. After all, Apple allows Windows installations of OSes on their machine. Microsoft does not reciprocate to Apple on their machines.

Thanks for looking,
Kelly J.

P.S. qbnkelt, if you need help when you make the move, you know where I am.

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
That's a lot of information to absorb. Appreciate it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro