No video is needed. I can make most any Apache lag on demand if I wanted to make a video. Not saying you will. But your experience is not indicative of how Windows performs even on lower end desktop and notebook laptops.

We have 3 Windows laptops and a Mac in here.

I'm well aware of how it performs even on lower mid range hardware. One is a 1.3 GHz e-300 AMD machine. That's practically netbook spec. It runs Windows 7 just fine.

Perhaps check how much RAM is in the machine. I don't see how a 1 year old PC would have trouble running something that is probably less demanding than Microsoft Word 2013.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    It has 4GB and an AMD processor although I'm not sure of the specs. I don't keep up with technology like I used to. 6 months ago i could have told you the specs of almost any device on the market, now I care nothing lol. My family has a Dell Inspiron from 2012 and it's nothing short of a POC! Crashes, legs, and is slower than slow. Like I'm talking 2-5 seconds for the start screen to show up. It has 4GB of ram and a Intel core duo.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Crapatalk
    01-04-2015 09:32 PM
    It has 4GB and an AMD processor although I'm not sure of the specs. I don't keep up with technology like I used to. 6 months ago i could have told you the specs of almost any device on the market, now I care nothing lol.

It's probably the CPU if it's a low end APU. My AMD laptop has an A10 Elite Quad Core so it's comparable to a mid-range Haswell Dual Core Intel, but the GPU is much superior.

But I've seen it run better on worse hardware so it can also be a result of what's running on the thing (probably has a slow platter drive and slow ram as well, among other things).

01-04-2015 09:38 PM
    It's probably the CPU if it's a low end APU. My AMD laptop has an A10 Elite Quad Core so it's comparable to a mid-range Haswell Dual Core Intel, but the GPU is much superior.

But I've seen it run better on worse hardware so it can also be a result of what's running on the thing (probably has a slow platter drive and slow ram as well, among other things).

Yeah probably. I know not all computers are created equal, and to get a good computer you have to spend a decent amount. So I'm sure there are some nice PCs, I am content with Mac for the rest of my life though.

kellyjdrummer likes this.
    01-04-2015 09:39 PM
    I am not sure you know what you're talking about. MacBooks and iMacs are desktop grade machines. They use desktop processors (core be Xeon for example), desktop class graphics cards (Radeon vs firegl for example), desktop class RAM (ecc vs no ecc), etc.

The workstation class devices and components cost like 3x that of their desktop counterparts. This is why the machines cost so much. The computer is way more reliable and its performance is optimized for different tasks than a desktop or gaming machine or something you use on a general office desk.

The two types of machines are in completely different categories.

An iMac or MacBook is not a workstation, it's a personal computer.

College campuses don't need workstations everywhere. For general use, outside of labs and specific scenarios that demand workstation class equipment, managed desktop equipment serves the purpose just fine.

There are workstations in the notebook form factor. Just cause it sits on the desk doesn't make it that b

All OEMs distinguish desktop systems from Workstations in their product line.

I believe that term workstation is a issue here.
    What can be done on what's classified as a desktop has now fallen into the category of workstation.
    I would believe that Avid workstations are the norm in TV and News. But not so much in music or film.
    There are users editing independent film projects in iMacs. So therefore the iMac is a workstation. The MacBook Pro is a workstation.
    One doesn't need a Avid Turnkey System for film or Audio projects. I wouldn't be surprised if some field pieces that we see on CNN are edited on MacBook Pro in a hotel room.
    A Protools HD system for Audio can still run you 10k still doing non native processing.
    Were the line is drawn now in recording audio is sample rate and native processing.
    A totally tricked out iMac can probably do 48k recording with intensive native processing.
    Protools workstations in the past did the processing offline not using the computers processor.
    So we are at a time where the "desktop" is a workstation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-04-2015 09:41 PM
    No. The desktop isn't a workstation.

01-04-2015 10:07 PM
    My favorite thing about Macs? The software. Every version of OS X I've used has been a pleasure.
    the_tech_eater likes this.
    01-04-2015 10:57 PM

Very good video of a Windows user switching to OSX.
    01-05-2015 10:44 PM
    Not into gaming that much any more on the PC, mostly on consoles now.
    I only pretty much use Windows for Microsoft Office at work. At home I use the Mac Mini and what I like about it is the lack of Malware and Viruses.
    Oh yea, almost forgot continuity with my iP6.

I read somewhere there was a new version of Office coming out for OSX and it is supposed to be as good the Windows version.
    Actually I had a question about continuity. Outside of picking up where you left off on typing papers, what else does it do? I'm wondering if it's really that big of a deal or not.
    01-06-2015 04:22 AM
    Macs are both work station grade and general use machines. Why do the music, video, software, photography industry as a whole use macs, yet macs are the most popular computers on college campuses? The question isn't if those things can be done on PCs, it's why aren't they? There is a reason the mentioned industries don't use PCs in general.

I think that is just testament to the popularity, usability and stability of Macs more than anything. It is the same rationale why people use mountain grade jackets for indoor office use; they are simply good products, no matter what the purpose is. However, I still think workstation-caliber PCs are still priced lower than Macs... So that point is pretty much moot.

And it's not like PCs aren't used for workstation work... People use PCs everyday as workstations... Arguably more...
    01-06-2015 06:08 AM
    Consistency of the user experience and attention to the small details.

The head turns are cool too!
    the_tech_eater likes this.
    01-06-2015 12:25 PM
    The build quality of them are great I have 2 MVP's one is from 2010 and the other 2012. I've had both take a small fall because of a drunken roommate but only issues were the super drives which were a easy fix

Sent from my Space-G 6 iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-06-2015 01:27 PM
    I've always loved the design and build quality of Macs. I'm a sucker for good design. I love the Mac Pro and MacBook Airs and Pros. I've never really cared for the All-in-One iMacs but there's a lot of nice and thoughtful design there too.
    02-08-2015 07:46 AM
    Realibility
    02-14-2015 02:49 AM
    I would have to say it is the design and feel of the OS that has me hooked. Gestures and integration with my iPhone also help a great deal. It definitely is hard to find one single aspect to list when there are so many.
    02-14-2015 09:15 AM
    So far it's the integration of the Apple Ecosystem
    02-14-2015 09:39 AM
    I'm a Windows user, but for the longest time, Apple generally had the best looking hardware. It wasn't really until Windows 8 that OEMs finally woke up! Apple's trackpads are always very nice too
    Sent from Tapatalk on my Lumia Icon
    02-16-2015 07:28 PM
    Actually I had a question about continuity. Outside of picking up where you left off on typing papers, what else does it do? I'm wondering if it's really that big of a deal or not.
    Whether it is a "big deal" or not just comes down to what you use it for, if anything. Have you looked at the Apple website page for continuity? It lists all of the functionality so far...

https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/continuity/

...me personally, I use it A LOT. Phone calls on my mac, texting (though iMessaging on the Mac is nothing new), project editing between clients and myself on the fly (this is especially helpful in Pages for me)...so is it a "big deal"? For me, it's a necessity almost.
    02-16-2015 11:44 PM
    At first it was because of the lack of viruses. Now its of the design hardware and software, ease of use, the way use of handoff and continuity. Something about the look of that silver metal that the macs are built out of. Wouldn't mind space gray though.
    02-17-2015 08:55 PM
    The software is a major plus, the hardware running it is really good as well. Yosemite has been pretty good for me so far
    02-17-2015 10:15 PM
    I would also like to add that iWork is great for those who don't need complicated procedures for their documents. Very helpful.
    02-21-2015 04:42 AM
95 ... 234