Design, reliability, ease of use, and ability to automate tasks with scripts.
    12-24-2014 09:30 AM
    For the macbook, it has to be the aluminum structure. For the imac, it is the display.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    12-24-2014 02:00 PM
    I'm getting my first Mac next year. Saving up already.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    TurboTiger and Speedygi like this.
    12-25-2014 07:23 AM
    That it works EVERY TIME I turn it on. NO crashes.

Posted using electrons and pixels precisely formulated for the iPad Mini.
    12-25-2014 01:22 PM
    It just works.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    I miss the good old days when this line was true.
    12-27-2014 09:55 AM
    I'm getting my first Mac next year. Saving up already.

You will need to take some time off to play with it, I think haha.
    the_tech_eater and taz323 like this.
    12-27-2014 11:14 AM
    DJing.. & Design Work.
    12-27-2014 01:16 PM
    You will need to take some time off to play with it, I think haha.
    Oh yah....definitely....

12-27-2014 04:45 PM
    I miss the good old days when this line was true.
    It is still true today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Speedygi and TurboTiger like this.
    12-27-2014 05:25 PM
    It is still true today.

Absolutely. My Macbook Pro smokes every non Apple computer I've owned over 14 years.

Posted using electrons and pixels designed exclusively for the Galaxy Note 3.
    TurboTiger likes this.
    12-27-2014 10:30 PM
    Yah I've gotten tired of Windows 8.1. It's meant for touchscreen devices and it doesn't translate well to my laptop. So.....since my laptop is old and I'll have to replace it soon, I'll just go all out and get myself my first MacBook Pro. I think it's the right that I went all in with Apple products. Each one I've tried has been a total success so....

TurboTiger and ladyc0524 like this.
    12-28-2014 04:03 AM
    Speaking of which.....I've got an external hard drive for backup.
    I do a lot of photos and videos.
    I'm thinking of getting started with a Mac Air.
    Obviously my external hard drive is for a PC. Will I be able to bake it up to my Air without trouble?

12-28-2014 07:41 AM
    Speaking of which.....I've got an external hard drive for backup.
    I do a lot of photos and videos.
    I'm thinking of getting started with a Mac Air.
    Obviously my external hard drive is for a PC. Will I be able to bake it up to my Air without trouble?

It depends on how the drive is formatted. If it is NTFS then the Mac can only read from it not write to it. There are third party drivers that enable writing to NTFS drives but I've never used them. If the drive is formatted as FAT, then both Windows and OS X can read and write to it.
    qbnkelt and TurboTiger like this.
    12-28-2014 09:56 AM
    It depends on how the drive is formatted. If it is NTFS then the Mac can only read from it not write to it. There are third party drivers that enable writing to NTFS drives but I've never used them. If the drive is formatted as FAT, then both Windows and OS X can read and write to it.
    I'm fairly certain it's NTFS. Just my luck.

First I have to find the darn thing. I've got it stored away so securely that I've forgotten where I've put it.

12-28-2014 10:34 AM
    I'm fairly certain it's NTFS. Just my luck.

First I have to find the darn thing. I've got it stored away so securely that I've forgotten where I've put it.

If you intend to install any Windows OS (7.0 up) using Bootcamp (which is provided in the Mavericks and Yosemite OSes to allow users to run two partitions separately [one Apple, one Microsoft]), the external drive will need to be formatted as exFAT, providing access (read/write) from the Yosemite and Windows OSes, individually. I use a SONY video suite to take care of my business/client projects and it is only available to Microsoft operating systems, so I have the experience of needing to figure this out. I use Photoshop (two versions,) SONY Vegas Pro 11 and SONY DVD/BD Architect in a professional environment. The SONY stuff in Windows (as well as PSCS5 Extended for Windows) and PSCS6 Extended in Yosemite.

When I initially set up my Macbook Pro, I used (and still do) five external hard drives, one is partitioned to use with Time Machine in Yosemite for backups, and it actually contains two partitions. Photoshop would not save to an NTFS formatted drive directly, which all were upon taking delivery of my Macbook Pro. I had to save to the desktop from Photoshop (Windows and, then, Mountain Lion,) close Photoshop, then drag the file to the hard drive. Very annoying.

The Apple Communities (forums) provide "How-Tos" on this procedure, as do the Adobe forums for those using Adobe video and image manipulation applications.

If you intend to use your external drive on separate machines at different times (moving between two or more machines) and desire read/write permissions on it from separate machines, it will need to be formatted as exFAT. exFAT plays well with both Apple and MS.

Having said all of that, if anyone reading this has information that refutes my statements, feel free to (nicely) provide me with the correct information. As it is now, these have been my experiences. I had to do this to five external hard drives, ranging from 250 gb to 2 tb. I have had no issues at all, using two different operating systems on a 500gb flash drive at 8 gb RAM since sorting this out two years ago. The first month was a nightmare. Not that the equipment was in error, but that Microsoft doesn't like to share with Apple as Apple does with Microsoft. After all, Apple allows Windows installations of OSes on their machine. Microsoft does not reciprocate to Apple on their machines.

Thanks for looking,
    Kelly J.

P.S. qbnkelt, if you need help when you make the move, you know where I am.
    Last edited by kellyjdrummer; 12-28-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    12-28-2014 03:06 PM
    That's a lot of information to absorb. Appreciate it.

12-29-2014 05:16 AM
    It is still true today.

Except when the wifi kicks out, or the system starts to lag with the latest update, or the latest update kills some third party application (I'm talking about minor updates at that), or a plethora of other things. Just head over to MacRumors and look at the 10.10 forum.
    12-29-2014 07:03 AM
    That's a lot of information to absorb. Appreciate it.

In a few words, format your external drive as exFAT to use it on anything, anywhere.

I used a million words to explain WHY this had to be done.
    12-29-2014 09:29 AM
    Except when the wifi kicks out, or the system starts to lag with the latest update, or the latest update kills some third party application (I'm talking about minor updates at that), or a plethora of other things. Just head over to MacRumors and look at the 10.10 forum.
    I have had none of those problems in the 2 years I've owned my MacBook Pro, now running Yosemite. I will never own another Windows enabled machine. 12 years was too long. Expecting it to get better was a nightmare.

BTW, the thread title asked for what people "like," not what people "don't like."
    Last edited by kellyjdrummer; 12-29-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    12-29-2014 09:32 AM
    That it works EVERY TIME I turn it on. NO crashes.
    that's it
    12-30-2014 11:32 AM
    Reliability ! Having spent these last days of this year trying to fix a windows problem, I was happy to also have a mac, which never had a single problem in 4 years
    12-30-2014 11:38 AM
    Have a Windows Notebook, and it just works. Not sure what other people do to their PCs, but I haven't had a crash, blue screen or anything else go wrong with this PC. I haven't seen a virus since I got a CMOS boot sector virus off a BBS back when I was a freshman in high school using MS-DOS and Windows 3.11 on a [real] laptop computer (386SX FTW).

There are apps that I need that don't run on OSX, and I'm not paying almost twice as much cash just to run them on a Mac (considerably more expensive machine + boot camp + windows 8.1 license, etc.).

I love how Macs work with other Apple Products. I like how they come out of the box ready for light productivity and media editing tasks (iWork, iLife). Safari Reading List is nice.

I like OSX Notification Center.

But in the grand scene of things I don't find it any more or less usable than Windows, which is why I take the lower cost option. Still get over 7 hours off the charger with my notebook, too, which is way longer than in ever away from my charger (barely leaves the house).

Put an SSD in your Windows machine to boot faster and get faster performance. It's apples and oranges to compare an older W7 Notebook with slower RAM, older CPU and a platter drive and act like the Mac has transformed your life because it's setup performs better. Yea, more recent machines with better setups than you are upgrading from are going to blow your mind - regardless of what OS it's running.

That's possible on Windows. You just chose the Mac instead. Which is fine, just keep all that in perspective.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    Geodude074 likes this.
    12-30-2014 12:34 PM
    Yah I've gotten tired of Windows 8.1. It's meant for touchscreen devices and it doesn't translate well to my laptop. So.....since my laptop is old and I'll have to replace it soon, I'll just go all out and get myself my first MacBook Pro. I think it's the right that I went all in with Apple products. Each one I've tried has been a total success so....

I've got a MBA (I've owned a polycarbonate iMac in 2006 that still work and a ibook G4 back in the days, my Dad has an aluminium iMacfrom 2009) but I guarantee that you'll love Macbooks!!! I don't think I've ever been disappointed with Apple computers. Their products always work without any bad surprises.My desktop computer is on Windows 8.1 but I'll definitely go back to Apple the next time!
    Last edited by pommes; 01-03-2015 at 07:22 AM. Reason: grammar
    qbnkelt likes this.
    12-30-2014 05:28 PM
    I love that the Mac is so reliable and that my MacBook Pro is so small and light (2011 13" version here). I was even able to do some work while at jury duty in the summer of 2011 thanks to that!
    12-30-2014 06:18 PM
    Not sure why people are complaining about viruses. I haven't had a virus on my PC in about 10 years. SSDs enable near-instant boot times for all OS's, doesn't matter if it's Windows or OSX. If you don't want apps running during startup, just disable them, it's not hard.

I would be the minority in this thread, since I have a PC I built myself. I love it though, because every part I picked out myself, from the case to the PSU. I can upgrade anything at anytime I want - later this year when Broadwell comes out, if I want a PC with a faster CPU I can just buy a Broadwell CPU and plop it in - no need to buy an entire new computer for increased speeds. I can use old parts anytime I want - I have a 500 GB HDD from 2007 that I'm still using and its sole function is to store my Steam games. If something breaks, I don't have to send in the entire computer for a repair - I can just RMA the broken part to the manufacturer and get a new part for free.

And of course the best part about my PC is, it was dirt cheap to build! Performance per price, compared to anything any OEM has to offer, my PC would blow it away. Not only do I get to customize my PC in any way I want, I save money in the process too.

It's great to be a geek lol.
    01-03-2015 12:31 AM
95 1234