Sprint iP Users - No data during phone calls.

Soeasy

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this has been discussed ad naseum, but for those of you using Sprint does loss of data connection during call impact how you use the phone when out and about?

The most frustrating part, for me at least, is when I hang up a call the missed emails flood my inbox all at once.

Sans wifi of course.

Supposedly Sprint is working to resolve this sometime in 2015 and they say it's not their network, it's the way the phone is built.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
For me Absolutely NOT!

And maybe it has to do with my usage. First, I don't make a ton of phone calls. When i'm at home i'm on wifi unless my old router is having one of those 20 minute periods where it likes to drop me. I also don't check my email all the time so i can't ever recall the situation you describe. And for work email i typically prefer to do it on a computer as i sometimes have to type a lot but. but rarely is something urgent not delivered on my phone in a timely manner.

The only time i've ever even noticed it in the slightest is when i called my mother and while on the phone i tried to send her a photo. Now i don't really understand why it wouldn't go through as i was on wifi too and my internet worked on my phone, imessage was on too but it didn't go through. I had to wait until i hung up to send it. Not sure why.

For my usage, i simply don't have a situation where i'm trying to do both often at all. It just doesn't come up. Additionally i'd prefer to text most of the time too. It simply isn't an issue with me. It's never even been a consideration when i was considering to leave or stay on sprint. But since it's a problem for you I hope that they resolve that issue and frustration for you.

Soeasy

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Gotcha! My phone is also my work phone. I'm self-employed and I actually talk on it ALOT as I'm out and about the city, filming or prepping to.

I've gotten into the habit of knowing where a lot of Starbucks are around Manhattan, so if it's necessary, I'll duck into one and use my iPad to connect to their wifi for emails.

I had the last two versions of the HTC One and Sprint doesn't have this scenario with Android phones.

Before, I had the iP 4s, but I don't remember it having the same issue.

I also heard Verizon has the same set-up, but can't say for sure.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
They way I understand it. A Sprint iPhone which is CDMA can't do voice and data simultaneously on the CDMA network. So in a sense it is the network but any Android phone that does voice and data simultaneously has two antennas. One antenna will pull data from LTE.
The iPhone has two antennas just for better reception. If they added a third on the iPhone the manufacturing process would be crazy because just the Verizon and Sprint models would need it not the AT&T model.
So in a sense it is also the way the iPhone is built.
The future is Voice over LTE in the next few years so the iPhone having a 3rd antenna would be unnecessary.
The AT&T iPhone can do voice and data simultaneously because the GSM network will do it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Soeasy

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
They way I understand it. A Sprint iPhone which is CDMA can't do voice and data simultaneously on the CDMA network. So in a sense it is the network but any Android phone that does voice and data simultaneously has two antennas. One antenna will pull data from LTE.
The iPhone has two antennas just for better reception. If they added a third on the iPhone the manufacturing process would be crazy because just the Verizon and Sprint models would need it not the AT&T model.
So in a sense it is also the way the iPhone is built.
The future is Voice over LTE in the next few years so the iPhone having a 3rd antenna would be unnecessary.
The AT&T iPhone can do voice and data simultaneously because the GSM network will do it.

So Verizon can do voice and data at the same time?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So Verizon can do voice and data at the same time?

Not on a iPhone. But I believe Verizon is rolling out VoLTE in some areas so in that case it may do voice and data simultaneously.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Not on a iPhone. But I believe Verizon is rolling out VoLTE in some areas so in that case it may do voice and data simultaneously.
Verizon, and for that matter Sprint devices can do voice and data at the same time ONLY when on wifi for data... when VoLTE rolls out, they will be able to do voice and data over the LTE data connection.

The inability to do voice & data over cellular on CDMA networks has been a long-known issue, and people basically have learned to use it the way it was, or - used something other than a phone to manage their data connectivity needs... now that phones and networks have evolved, it's about to be a total non-issue with VoLTE.

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Verizon, and for that matter Sprint devices can do voice and data at the same time ONLY when on wifi for data... when VoLTE rolls out, they will be able to do voice and data over the LTE data connection.

The inability to do voice & data over cellular on CDMA networks has been a long-known issue, and people basically have learned to use it the way it was, or - used something other than a phone to manage their data connectivity needs... now that phones and networks have evolved, it's about to be a total non-issue with VoLTE.

I know it is like that for a good while now, and that knowned GSM networks can do it; as a human I can only do one thing at a time. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Having no data during phone calls doesn't impact the way I use my phone when I'm away from home. Most of my communication is by text and phone; I also check my email frequently throughout the day.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2