Why do some of the iMore elite hate when someone mentions something outside of the box.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Anybody that mentions anything other than Apple they seem to be greeted in a condescending manner for their thoughts I would think being tech geeks you would want to hear other ideas whether it be Apple or not. I use Apple hardware for the build quality, ease of use and customer service. Apple has been having a good run right now I hope it continues, but it was not always that way. In the technology world things change if it were not for other ideas and experimenting things would be at a still mate. I’m happy there is other hardware, software makers or Apple would have no reason to strive to be the best.

I am here obviously because I own Apple products and like reading, talking about technology. For some they may be intimidated to post because of the replies by a few of the people here.

I hope I made my point I'm not the best with words.

Did not intend to target any one group of people.

Why do some of the people here hate when someone mentions something outside the box.

I don’t know how to edit the title.

Last edited:

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Karen for the Honest reply. It was not just about my thread I've read many threads on here and see the same done to others. I understand there are two sides to everything and people are not going to agree with me.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey Calebt, Thanks for voicing your opinion on this matter. I don't neccessarily agree with this, but I do notice that when someone speaks negative about an Apple product (on an Apple site), a lot of members do get offended because thats their brand of choice. I don't feel that mentioning something "outside of the box" upsets iMore elites (everyone), it's more like mentioning something outside the box while downing the Apple brand to make their brand of choice better at the same time, is what gets members riled up in my opinion. Thinking outside the box is one the reasons we are as advanced in the tech world as we are, but downing another product because a person chooses to use what works best for them is absurd.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Honestly most people have the mindset that since they "love" something so much they hate whatever opposes it. Kind of like most Red Sox fans hate the Yankees. Most people on here especially the ones who have been on here a long time love everything Apple and hate Android. That's why you're going to get those types of comments when you asks questions about anything not Apple here.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Do you honestly think that this mindset is iMore site specific? I guarantee you that if you were to say the same thing on AC or Crackberry, the SAME EXACT THING would happen. C'mon.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Do you honestly think that this mindset is iMore site specific? I guarantee you that if you were to say the same thing on AC or Crackberry, the SAME EXACT THING would happen. C'mon.

Yes, I know I've been on all the sites and read many threads. It was just that I felt most comfortable posting on iMore.

DarkKnight08

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's differing opinions that get that response. I think it's the presentation that's the issue. When someone states that Apple "is the worst" or the new phone is a failure people respond accordingly. I think it's clear when someone starts a thread whether they really want an intelligent discussion or just want to argue.

Sent from my AWESOME iPhone 6 Plus, using Tapatalk of course.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
^^^DarkKnight08 hit on a key point..."it's the presentation" is probably a key factor in determining how people will respond to an assertion or opinion.

I could say "I think iOS 8.x widgets and notification center are terrible and anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy. Android rulz!!!...".

Or I could say "I think iOS 8.x widgets and notification center are improving, but in my view still have some catching up to do in comparison to Android...".

The first statement is probably going to invoke some emotionally based responses.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think when someone mentions something from other platforms they almost always go to the extreme in saying Apple would never hold a candle to those other platforms. That, or they just really hate the iOS ecosystem, which is, in itself, nothing wrong, just something the iMore faithful could care less.

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
All-things-Apple threads/posts go through similar scrutiny and that's understandable. A good approach is to be able to walk away from posts that bother you with chin-high mantra: It's never personal and I'm moving on.
One thing though: Elite? Maybe veteran poster is a better word? No one is above anyone else :heart:

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Apple has created both the hardware and the OS to work together to get the best possible performance out the the combination. Most of the time it works fine. There always seems to be a few issues when the new model and new version of iOS is released, and Apple then works to clean up the issues and glitches. But the OS and the hardware are tuned to compliment each other and give the user the optimal experience.

But for some reason, people want to tinker around with stuff and presume to know better than Apple - like mixing an android OS on Apple hardware - clearly two separate things that are not designed to work together.

Is Apple always right and do they always do things the way I want them done? Absolutely not. And the "sheeple" comments and snarky "just because Apple says..." comments are pure BS. Somethings are just better left alone, IMO. If Apple's way isn't your way, fine. Go find what is. I’ve posted that sentiment multiple times here and elsewhere.

No one is forcing you to use Apple products for anything. But with that said, this is an Apple-centric site. If you want to push your BB agenda or your android agenda or your Windows phone agenda, go somewhere else. And if you want to dream up ways of creating "franken-phones", I don’t have to agree that it’s a good idea.

I can post my response to a thread that proposes what I think is a dumb idea, and then walk away. I don’t have to read/comment on any thread, and no one has to read/comment on my post. But I certainly don’t take any of this personally. When i see such a thread, my thought process is "you asked my opinion, so here you go".

Feel free to call me a hater, a fanboy, a troll or put me on your ignore list. I got thick skin and don’t care what you think of me or my opinions. They are just that, MY opinions. And I am not trying to be arrogant about it. Simply put, don’t post another "what if..." thread and then get all butt hurt when I tell you what I think of the idea. Fair enough?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
When any kind of forum is brand specific the members of that forum are like minded in what they choose to use.

I drive a Ford Explorer and I belong to a Ford SUV enthusiast forum. I'm not on there as much as iMore. I basically look for solutions for mechanical issues that may arise.

Now if I posted on the forum that I wish the Explorer had a particular function that a Chevy has I would get BBQ''d for sure. To me a Ford Explorer is just something I drive. A Chevy,GM,Chrysler,Toyota would be just a good to me.

There are probably Classic Car forums that if someone said I wish I could find a 69 Camaro with power windows would get BBQ'd

Ever been to a motorcycle forum? helmet no helmet,Harley vs Victory, Cruiser vs Sports Bike.

I also frequent a Bass Guitarist Forum which is like a forum in a forum in a forum. The threads are very brand specific. If I went into a Ampeg Amplifier thread and said I wish Ampeg Amps had a certain function that Aguilar Amps had I would get BBQ'd.

So the "iMore Elite" doesn't respond any differently to non Apple post than any other forum that is brand specific.

There are forums out there that are just mobile device specific that non Apple or non Android post wouldn't bring negative reaction.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Apple has created both the hardware and the OS to work together to get the best possible performance out the the combination. Most of the time it works fine. There always seems to be a few issues when the new model and new version of iOS is released, and Apple then works to clean up the issues and glitches. But the OS and the hardware are tuned to compliment each other and give the user the optimal experience.

But for some reason, people want to tinker around with stuff and presume to know better than Apple - like mixing an android OS on Apple hardware - clearly two separate things that are not designed to work together.

Is Apple always right and do they always do things the way I want them done? Absolutely not. And the "sheeple" comments and snarky "just because Apple says..." comments are pure BS. Somethings are just better left alone, IMO. If Apple's way isn't your way, fine. Go find what is. I?ve posted that sentiment multiple times here and elsewhere.

No one is forcing you to use Apple products for anything. But with that said, this is an Apple-centric site. If you want to push your BB agenda or your android agenda or your Windows phone agenda, go somewhere else. And if you want to dream up ways of creating "franken-phones", I don?t have to agree that it?s a good idea.

I can post my response to a thread that proposes what I think is a dumb idea, and then walk away. I don?t have to read/comment on any thread, and no one has to read/comment on my post. But I certainly don?t take any of this personally. When i see such a thread, my thought process is "you asked my opinion, so here you go".

Feel free to call me a hater, a fanboy, a troll or put me on your ignore list. I got thick skin and don?t care what you think of me or my opinions. They are just that, MY opinions. And I am not trying to be arrogant about it. Simply put, don?t post another "what if..." thread and then get all butt hurt when I tell you what I think of the idea. Fair enough?

I would not put anybody on an ignore list or resort to name calling I respect all post and opinions wether you agree with me or not. The main reason I post on iMore is the civil conversations, but I?m just trying to understand the extreme Apple view I guess.

Sent from my wrapped in leather iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I feel that I've said bad things, yet I really don't feel too much hostility. I think it's the way they are said and the situation. Then again, for me, if I'm not happy with a device I won't necessarily bash all of them. I do question things and like to read opinions. I'm also not easily offended and know that everyone here has their own opinion. As thus, I'm always prepared for disagreement, disapproval, a variance of thoughts from my own.

This forum gives freedom to the users from all different walks of life. That allows the good, the bad, the beautiful and the ugly to be expressed freely.

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you OP. I've received an infraction on here and been called a troll just cos I stood up to those that won't accept any opinion that does not follow their line of thought. It's rather pathetic really.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you OP. I've received an infraction on here and been called a troll just cos I stood up to those that won't accept any opinion that does not follow their line of thought. It's rather pathetic really.

Well, you are just opening yourself up to all sunshine and rainbows now, aren't you?

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

Well when you post crap like this:

It's so ugly they said. No apps they said. Physical keyboards suck they said. 11 hours later they wanna borrow my iPhone charger cos their phone battery is dead.

Nah mate, sorry.. I use a BlackBerry Passport. I laugh.

Stay black bro.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport using Tapatalk

Like in the BlackBerry thread, I wonder why *rolls eyes*

OP, as DarkKnight said, it's about presentation. Also, if you're going to post something with an opinion, you better expect people of the opposite opinion to post back. It's silly not to expect that and to think that they are attacking you/being defensive because they hold the opposite opinion is also silly. If you start the attacks like BlackB_G posted in a Passport opinion thread at iMore above, you better believe people are going to don their flame suits.

The difference at iMore I have found is that there isn't a culture of making insults toward people who use different products, it's all, "that's cool, hope you have fun with your device." And that is from OBJECTIVE observation from all forums. The difference occurs when you start name calling or insulting their intelligence or (not in your case but a recent thread) throwing a temper tantrum in every subsequent thread because they don't believe the 6 Plus is an upgrade from the 5S.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
OP, as DarkKnight said, it's about presentation. Also, if you're going to post something with an opinion, you better expect people of the opposite opinion to post back. It's silly not to expect that and to think that they are attacking you/being defensive because they hold the opposite opinion is also silly. If you start the attacks like BlackB_G posted in a Passport opinion thread at iMore above, you better believe people are going to don their flame suits.

The difference at iMore I have found is that there isn't a culture of making insults toward people who use different products, it's all, "that's cool, hope you have fun with your device." And that is from OBJECTIVE observation from all forums. The difference occurs when you start name calling or insulting their intelligence or (not in your case but a recent thread) throwing a temper tantrum in every subsequent thread because they don't believe the 6 Plus is an upgrade from the 5S.
Including the title of this thread by the OP.

The term "elite users" seems to be cast out by the OP in a disparaging manner. As opposed to actually embracing the difference of opinion. And then calling the viewpoint "extreme".

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Short reply...

Not me!

I own, Apple, Microsoft, Samsung and Google products and I use all of them for different purposes.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I would think the programmers, developers, software, hardware designers, at Apple are playing with all the different OS’s and hardware there is just to make a better iPhone. I think if it weren't for BB, Windows Mobile, Android (I'm sure some will disagree) iOS would not be what it is today. iOS 7 notifications, control center was one of the reasons I made the switch to iPhone among several other things.

Thanks to all who replied I appreciate your advice, opinions whether you agree with me or not, that’s what its all about different ways of life. I just hope the people at Apple do not stop Thinking of Hair Brained Schemes otherwise we may not have the super Franken phone we have now the iPhone in my opinion. I apologize for targeting one group of people.