Is the iPhone for "Tech-Illiterate " People?

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
It seems like I read through comments on YouTube or another website and all I see on iPhone videos are comments about how Apple sucks and everything. Then I see this other type of comment: "Nobody that knows anything about tech would buy an iPhone. They are so far behind and are just for average people who have no idea what a real phone is supposed to be. Android has had this feature for years blah blah blah". These comments are really far off base in my opinion.

Lots of really tech savvy people such as programmers and engineers use the iPhone. Why? Is it because they are stupid and just follow the crowd? Is it because they don't know what a "real" phone is? No. They buy it because it's what works for them. It works. It performs better than the competition with what look like inferior specs on paper. I plan on becoming a software developer/programmer and I choose iOS because I find that it works best for me. I like the ecosystem and how everything just works. I would say I'm pretty tech savvy, pretty much like anyone here on iMore. Even some big-name tech reviewers use the iPhone. Again, are they uneducated follow-the-crowd type of people? No, they review phones for a living, so they have the best idea out of anyone on what type of phone is best for them because they use them all.

Does anyone think the same about this? In your opinion, is the iPhone for the "tech illiterate" people of the world?

P.S. Sorry for the rant :D

Last edited:

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: iPhones for "Non-Tech" People

I feel I'm pretty tech savvy, I could pick up any device and start using it, but for someone like my dad who is 80+ years old and tech illiterate in this respect the iPhone was the easiest choice it was just simple for him to use. I let him try my Nexus first what a nightmare just too many buttons.

I’m not a developer or programmer I would think its equally the same.

“Is the iPhone for the "tech illiterate” I don’t think so.

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site

As for answering on the title of this thread I completely disagree, speaking from a person who owns multiple devices from different platforms past and present. I am just an ordinary person that is more that interested in technology, read about it every day, work with them everyday, and have freetime to work things out everyday; for a person who currently has all three of the major platforms does that make me a non-tech person that owns an iPhone, I sure hope not. :)

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

IMO I think iOS is a relatively easy os to learn so those who aren't very savvy can use without too much trouble.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
iPhones for "Non-Tech" People

I do think it's a better choice for first time smartphone users. However there are plenty of geeky mods that can be done via jailbreak. So as it is, Yes it has a more simplistic user interface. It works seamlessly (usually) with all applications and runs them as if they were native.

Coming from being a hardcore androidian, our community didn't understand the need for simplicity. On our ever continuous strive to tinker and mod towards perfection it didn't occur to us that something is okay when it "Simply works".

Needless to say, I taste all flavors and love all different operating systems now. I just want to use what I enjoy. There is nothing wrong here...

And yes, I'm still tinkering. Jailbreak iOS 8.1 woo....

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

I do think it's a better choice for first time smartphone users. However there are plenty of geeky mods that can be done via jailbreak. So as it is, Yes it has a more simplistic user interface. It works seamlessly (usually) with all applications and runs them as if they were native.

Coming from being a hardcore androidian, our community didn't understand the need for simplicity. On our ever continuous strive to tinker and mod towards perfection it didn't occur to us that something is okay when it "Simply works".

Needless to say, I taste all flavors and love all different operating systems now. I just want to use what I enjoy. There is nothing wrong here...

And yes, I'm still tinkering. Jailbreak iOS 8.1 woo....

Well said.

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site

IMO I think iOS is a relatively easy os to learn so those who aren't very savvy can use without too much trouble.

At least we need to have things that are simple to use, everything in life does not have to be complicated; which is were ios stands. But there are some who want to be complicated; which is where android stands.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site

IMO the iPhone is for everyone; from the non-technical person to the technical. It doesn't take a specific type of user to appreciate the simplicity and ease of use of iOS.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I think Steve said it best (I know he quoted someone else, but can't remember who):

Simplicity is the ultimate form of complexity.

I am a firm believer in this idea. To make something less complex actually makes it more complex. Is making a phone with 10 different buttons with 10 different functions harder than making a phone that has 1-3 buttons that perform those 10 functions? No. By making things more simple, the more complex they are under closer examination. iOS falls under that category for me.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Duuuur how do I on my MePhone *pounds fingers into glass* Can't make work! *throws phone into the wall*

Going to eat glue now.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
On one hand I kind of agree with iPhone being better suited for those who prefer things to work "out of the box"...I don't consider myself "tech-illiterate" but I like having a device that just...works with minimal tweaking. That's why I've stuck with the iPhone. I tried Android for a while but it was too complicated for ME to have it just the way I wanted (especially with notifications). For ME the iPhone works just fine.

madeano

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
3 years ago I bought my then 52 yr old mother her first smartphone. It was the HTC Evo 4G. For months she struggled with it, almost a year and a half later it broke and I replaced it with Galaxy S3. Again she struggled with it and I decided I was going to try an iPhone to see if iOS was any better for her.

Today at 55 she owns the iPhone 6 and she is as tech illiterate as they come. I set the phone completely up for her down to installing the apps I knew she would use in hopes that I got everything the way she needed it so she wouldn't be asking me a million questions. I gave her the phone and immediately she commented on how much better the screen looked and how sharp things were. I told her if she has any questions to text or call and I'd help her. A week later I asked her how she was getting along and she said she was ok. I thought it was odd she had not one question. I go over to her house the other day and I pick the phone up figuring shes got it a mess. To my surprise she had pages set for her apps, settings modified to her liking and it all modified from the complete basic dumbed down you could of made it. I said "Mom looks like you've got this figured out?" she says "Yes it's the easiest phone I've ever owned including that old Samsung Rant I was on before that Android. I don't see why anyone uses those phones. I wish you would of got me the iPhone to start off with and I never wanna use another Android again." She then goes onto ask me about jailbreaking and I was just in total aww at how well she was doing.

Moral of this story and to answer the question "Is the iPhone for tech illiterate people?", Yes, without a doubt.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
3 years ago I bought my then 52 yr old mother her first smartphone. It was the HTC Evo 4G. For months she struggled with it, almost a year and a half later it broke and I replaced it with Galaxy S3. Again she struggled with it and I decided I was going to try an iPhone to see if iOS was any better for her.

Today at 55 she owns the iPhone 6 and she is as tech illiterate as they come. I set the phone completely up for her down to installing the apps I knew she would use in hopes that I got everything the way she needed it so she wouldn't be asking me a million questions. I gave her the phone and immediately she commented on how much better the screen looked and how sharp things were. I told her if she has any questions to text or call and I'd help her. A week later I asked her how she was getting along and she said she was ok. I thought it was odd she had not one question. I go over to her house the other day and I pick the phone up figuring shes got it a mess. To my surprise she had pages set for her apps, settings modified to her liking and it all modified from the complete basic dumbed down you could of made it. I said "Mom looks like you've got this figured out?" she says "Yes it's the easiest phone I've ever owned including that old Samsung Rant I was on before that Android. I don't see why anyone uses those phones. I wish you would of got me the iPhone to start off with and I never wanna use another Android again." She then goes onto ask me about jailbreaking and I was just in total aww at how well she was doing.

Moral of this story and to answer the question "Is the iPhone for tech illiterate people?", Yes, without a doubt.

When I worked for Boost Mobile, I'd always push the tech illiterate into an iPhone. I remember when we first got iPhones there, it was great. We finally had a phone that could be used as a smartphone but without all the crazy stress. I used to try to avoid selling an Android because 100% of the time they came back with problems or couldn't figure things out.

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
My grandmother, who is in her mid 70s, will say yes. She loves her 4S. I'm trying to talk her into upgrading but she just says, "maybe. I still like this one." LOL

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I'd be afraid to upgrade my dad he went from a Jitterbug flip phone (one **** ugly phone by the way) to an iPhone4 8 gig that I picked up on eBay cheap did not even want to bring Siri into the picture.

He bought a new Jeep with all the bells and whistles and the Jitterbug did not support the Uconnect software in the jeep. So I started him out with the Nexus (I don't really use no more just to play with Roms and such) it was all right in the jeep, but when he left, is when the nightmare began he just could not navigate the phone. It was too much, back, open apps, home button. He would just get lost. The iPhone was just simple one button press once or twice you're back on the home screen. Set up the favorites with all the kids and grand kids numbers with pictures to just tap. When he gets it the Jeep the Uconnect software connects to the phone and he uses the big screen on the console, which was another huddle, I won't bore you with.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
It seems like I read through comments on YouTube or another website and all I see on iPhone videos are comments about how Apple sucks and everything. Then I see this other type of comment: "Nobody that knows anything about tech would buy an iPhone. ..These comments are really far off base in my opinion.

Comments sections are filled with stupid people spewing racism, hate, and normally simply incorrect information; or at the very least poorly thought out ones. Youtube is easily one of the worst places if you're looking for intelligent discourse. It's not there.

Generally, people engaging in comments about "Apple Sucks", "Android Sucks", "Nobody that knows tech" are nerds getting into a typical nerd platform pissing contest. This is how they get off. It's no different than xbox vs playstation, COD vs Battlefield, COD vs people who hate the concept of COD. For many people they derive some sort of feeling of worth from their tech choices. And they are seeking validation for their choice so that they can continue to feel good about themselves. If you like what they like they chose well and they are good. And they'll try to tear down your choice if it's different because if you chose a different platform it meant you did the same evaluation they did and picked differently. The inference to them is that they picked wrong. They can't have that. That's reductive because most people simply pick on personal preference and that's the end of it. It's not some commentary on their choices. I've had my iphone for a month or so and not one of my friends has even commented about it. Not a word. They don't care. My advice is stop caring what tech geeks who derive their worth from their phone think. It's a nice tool for a job. Like picking a family car.

In your opinion, is the iPhone for the "tech illiterate" people of the world?

Apple products have always been and are right now products for mainstream consumers. That is a reality. That doesn't mean illiterate but I'd guess from Apple's perspective the entire framing of the discussion is irrelevant to them. They sell products designed to have wide appeal. Macs where about making computers for more than the tech geeks that used dos. They attempt to make products that are easily approachable and logical to both the tech savvy and unsavvy, hence the phrase "it just works." It's why they have uniformity standards in their apps. They are trying not to confuse people. Well it doesn't just have to work for the techy. They will tackle many steps and minutia. The mainstream consumer simply won't. But worrying about if you're "tech" enough to by you're phone is a silly geek pissing contest.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
The reason the iOS platform is so popular is because it can be very simple and easy for anyone to pick up and use yet is so powerful that the most savvy of tech professionals can and love to use it.

I use both android and iOS and i love both the way i look at them and this is just my opinion.

I love android and my ability to download a launcher and released app apks so my note 4 looks like its running lollipop.
but i love my iphone 6 plus because it has great designed apps apple care + so i dont worry about it breaking and awesome accessories.

mvpilot172

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm a late Apple switcher (mid-30's) and I spent my teens and 20's tinkering with all sorts of tech. Had a Tandy 1000 even. At some point in my life I have more important things to do than tinker with settings and customize my tech all day. I just need something that works well out of the box. Apple has surprised me so far with their simplicity in making tech accessible to other 90%.

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
The reason the iOS platform is so popular is because it can be very simple and easy for anyone to pick up and use yet is so powerful that the most savvy of tech professionals can and love to use it.

I use both android and iOS and i love both the way i look at them and this is just my opinion.

I love android and my ability to download a launcher and released app apks so my note 4 looks like its running lollipop.
but i love my iphone 6 plus because it has great designed apps apple care + so i dont worry about it breaking and awesome accessories.

I agree with you on the app design, items that are available on both android and ios in my opinion operates much better on ios; apps such as feedly and tapatalk for example.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2