question about iCloud accounts.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So when I originaly set up my iPhone with iCloud (when iCloud first came out) I used the same gmail account that I used for my iTunes/AppStore Apple ID. However, I wanted to change that iCloud account to my iCloud email address I create. But there's no way to change a email that's tied to a iCloud account, so I had to create a new iCloud account. I think I got it set up correctly to where I have my gmail for AppStore/iTunes stuff and my iCloud account on my iOS devices (for backups and such) is the iCloud email. However, it keeps asking me to reenter my password for iCloud, which I don't recall it doing so much before. Is there some weird incompatibility or something? How do you guys have iCloud set up on your devices? Do you use my iTunes email?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When I first set up my iPhone, I used my main Gmail address for iTunes, iCloud, iMessage and FaceTime. It's still that way. My wife set hers up using my iTunes ID but her iCloud email address for iCloud, iMessage and FaceTime. Neither of us have tried to change how we have it set up. You may need to go to iCloud.com on a computer and straighten it out. Did you also change the ID for iMessage and FaceTime? If not, try doing so.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

katiejaneshore

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
I use my normal Apple ID info for iCloud back ups. For me, it doesn't matter if I type in @icloud.com, @hotmail.com or @me.com. They are all linked and all work for the purpose of App Store, iTunes and iCloud. Maybe just go back to your original set up. Any reason you need to have separate Apple ID log ins?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I use my normal Apple ID info for iCloud back ups. For me, it doesn't matter if I type in @icloud.com, @hotmail.com or @me.com. They are all linked and all work for the purpose of App Store, iTunes and iCloud. Maybe just go back to your original set up. Any reason you need to have separate Apple ID log ins?

Well, I just thought it may be a good idea to keep them separate. Like using different email accounts.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, I just thought it may be a good idea to keep them separate. Like using different email accounts.

No need to keep them separate, unless you're sharing an iTunes ID with someone. Then you or they would need a different iCloud ID.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My Apple ID for icloud xxxx@icloud.com
My Apple And ID for iTunes it's a email address this has always been a Apple ID.

My iTunes has been in existence since 2001.

Before icloud it was .mac.com which was just a email if I remember correctly. Then MobileMe. Then MobileMe emails addresses became Apple ID's. Which is why I have separate Apple ID's

I can sign in to iCloud or iTunes using either one. If I sign in to iTunes using my @iCloud ID there will be no purchases. If I sign into iCloud using my iTunes Apple ID there will be no iCloud information. I
could sign into iTunes using my iCloud Apple ID and make purchases but I would have to sign in and out to get to them.

This was a problem when updating the exp date for my CC. Updating if for iTunes updated it for iCloud but not the other way around. No matter how many times I changed it in iCloud it would not take until I changed it in iTunes.

I wish merging them was possible but its not .
So if you have one Apple ID for everything I would keep it that way. I would love one Apple ID.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's weird we can't use a iCloud email address though.
Why not? My Wife's iTunes ID is the same as mine. It's one of my gmail addresses. I use the same for iCloud. She uses her iCloud email address for her iCloud ID. There is a limit of 3 email addresses that can be used for iCloud per device. I could change mine 2 times, but that would be it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73