my one hesitation of going all apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, as you all may know, I'm in the process of deciding whether to keep using my HTC one m8 or go back to my 5S. I already own a apple TV, iPad 4, and plan on getting a macbook one day. However, I'm becoming more and more worried about my reliance on apple and where they coulstd be taking the ecosystem.

What u mean by taking the ecosystem is that they are making but rather impossible to leave the apple garden once your fully in. Continuity is a great feature, but it does create a giant dependency in hardware from one company.

Honestly, when gas it ever been wise to out all your eggs in one basket like that? What happens if one day you no linger like what they put out? Tough luck, your in the swamp already and can't leave. Or what if this were some crazy world where spoke has another 1997 situation. (Though unlikely that is given their cash hirde , but still)

I just don't know how I feel about how apple is making it harder then ever for us to use other non apple devices. Although I don't have any major issues with apple products at this moment, who knows how it'll be 5 or 10 years from now?

Anyway, I think its worth at least discussing.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So, as you all may know, I'm in the process of deciding whether to keep using my HTC one m8 or go back to my 5S. I already own a apple TV, iPad 4, and plan on getting a macbook one day. However, I'm becoming more and more worried about my reliance on apple and where they coulstd be taking the ecosystem.

What u mean by taking the ecosystem is that they are making but rather impossible to leave the apple garden once your fully in. Continuity is a great feature, but it does create a giant dependency in hardware from one company.

Honestly, when gas it ever been wise to out all your eggs in one basket like that? What happens if one day you no linger like what they put out? Tough luck, your in the swamp already and can't leave. Or what if this were some crazy world where spoke has another 1997 situation. (Though unlikely that is given their cash hirde , but still)

I just don't know how I feel about how apple is making it harder then ever for us to use other non apple devices. Although I don't have any major issues with apple products at this moment, who knows how it'll be 5 or 10 years from now?

No, it’s not worth discussing. It is what it is. Apple makes quality products - one might even call them premium products. The direction that Apple is going is pretty evident - now as it has always been.

And at the risk of offending you (not my intent), your history is suspect at best. You are constantly flip-flopping on your "flavor of the month" when it comes to any technology. One day it’s "I want Apple", and the next day we hear "I returned the (Apple product) and bought something else". I can see from your long history of inability to make a decision that lasts past a sleep cycle or two, where this may be a concern for you. If is it, just don’t bother. Stay where ever you are with whatever you are using and learn to be satisfied. Again, I am not trying to offend, upset or attack you, but in all candor, many of us have "been there, done that" with you and your chronic indecision. I’m not going there again. I doubt that anyone here will have trouble understanding your "one hesitation" to make any decision.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
No, it’s not worth discussing. It is what it is. Apple makes quality products - one might even call them premium products. The direction that Apple is going is pretty evident - now as it has always been.

And at the risk of offending you (not my intent), your history is suspect at best. You are constantly flip-flopping on your "flavor of the month" when it comes to any technology. One day it’s "I want Apple", and the next day we hear "I returned the (Apple product) and bought something else". I can see from your long history of inability to make a decision that lasts past a sleep cycle or two, where this may be a concern for you. If is it, just don’t bother. Stay where ever you are with whatever you are using and learn to be satisfied. Again, I am not trying to offend, upset or attack you, but in all candor, many of us have "been there, done that" with you and your chronic indecision. I’m not going there again. I doubt that anyone here will have trouble understanding your "one hesitation" to make any decision.

Not, I don't take offense to that. I recognize I've been flip flopping all the time. But thus was something I was Iegitametly concerned with and I'm curious why you believe it's not worth discussing?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The only thing your locked into is the cost of hardware and software you spent in the Apple Ecosystem. The rest of your data can be exported to another platform fairly easy

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Apple doesn't make it hard for you. You make it hard for you.

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey, @RavenSword: this is iMore where 99% (or thereabout) will encourage you to buy Apple products because we are passionate about them (even if we disagree here occasionally). Should Apple flop or flounder or croak or besiege or whatever the hasty future might hold for it, then we'll cross the bridge together. But for now: Get the ecosystem you think is most appropriate for you and just enjoy the ride. Life is too short to worry about such things (thus my signature :)).

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I see your point. In 5 to 10 years, by owning 3 cheap and out of date pieces of Apple hardware, you'd be so stuck in the swamp that is the Apple ecosystem that I just don't see a way out for you. It's a good thing you saw this happening now and have time to act. My gosh, what a close call.

Apple supports other ecosystems. Other service and software providers like google, MS, amazon, facebook, etc all have iOS apps. You can run windows on a Mac. What exactly is this swamp you speak of?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

You've been discussing this same thing for I don't know how many months.

Jesus it's not that deep. Use both if you want Android and Apple.

Apple is not making it harder to use a non Apple device. You are making harder. If I wanted to experience Windows I would consider a Windows laptop or a Surface. If I wanted the Android experience I would consider a Galaxy Tab.

Apple makes their devices to work together.
You don't have to use one system use both if you choose but just choose already.
It just three options. One the other or all.

There is no invisible force holding anyone to any platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen