I am one of those customers who got stuck in this dumb corporate war between Apple and Bose. I just traded in my phone with Apple. The reason? So I could use the Apple Store credit to get the Bose speaker. Sadly, the credit arrived one day after Apple decided to pull Bose from the online store and all locations. No notice. Just gone. And all for the sub-par and over-marketed Beats?!?!?!?!!!! What happened to making decisions based on the customer experience Apple? The one thing I despise about Apple and have since the days of Jobs is the "kneel before me" attitude that is played out in litigation and power plays which always end with the customer losing.

Now I have an apple store credit and want to buy nothing there. So... when I called they suggested I try to sell my credit for cash. Thanks for nothing Apple. And just one day after I defended this monopoly on this very same forum....
    10-18-2014 01:46 PM
  2. kch50428 said: Best Answer

Bose was suing Beats for a patent infringement... Apple bought Beats... they settled out of court... and Apple quit selling a direct competing product... as to the no notice... it was noted on the iMore blog front page several days ago as a rumor the removal was imminent... sorry you feel caught up...
    Bose was suing Beats for a patent infringement... Apple bought Beats... they settled out of court... and Apple quit selling a direct competing product... as to the no notice... it was noted on the iMore blog front page several days ago as a rumor the removal was imminent... sorry you feel caught up...
    10-18-2014 02:24 PM
    Thanks for the explanation. I was aware of the patent suit and recent settlement. What caught me off guard was how swiftly apple moved on the "removal" after buying beats and settling. I was so excited that the Apple Store in more recent years had become so much more seemingly open to 3rd party products. This "feels" like an unwelcome reversal.

Still a bit unclear on what is considered a direct competing product as there are many in this category albeit some sub-par ones that Apple continues to sell. I also have to admit knowing very little about portable speaker manufacturers, but why not buy JBL aka Harmon? Or hey... How about also making a deal with Bose as it holds a significant share of the consumer market? Crazy right!!! But I thought we were thinking different here.

I still do not understand the market placement that companies continue to give to Beats, Apple being one in particular. From a user standpoint, I am not impressed. Not sure how it has lasted this long. But I guess image is once again more important than performance. We'll see if that changes but I don't have much hope.
    Forgive me if I have only reinforced your view that I somehow misunderstood this issue or the industry as a whole. I'm just voicing my concerns as a consumer who prefers choice.
    10-18-2014 06:24 PM
    In addition to what has been said above, Bose also partnered with the NFL as a sponsor. Part of that sponsorship agreement is the banning of Beats headphones. Players who use Beats headphones publicly will be fined by the NFL.

Colin Kaepernick of San Francisco 49ers fined $10K for Beats by Dre headphones - ESPN

Apple owns Beats. Bose banning Beats is indirectly an attack on Apple. Apple fired back by removing Bose from their stores.
    10-18-2014 06:45 PM
    Makes sense to me. Bose doesn't sell beats on their website.
    10-18-2014 06:54 PM
    Humm, it's still there for me
    Why Bose was pulled from Apple Store?-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1413672799.586948.jpg
    Why Bose was pulled from Apple Store?-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1413672895.102748.jpg
    Has anyone else checked?
    Last edited by Spencerdl; 10-18-2014 at 07:18 PM.
    10-18-2014 06:55 PM
    Thanks for the explanation. I was aware of the patent suit and recent settlement. What caught me off guard was how swiftly apple moved on the "removal" after buying beats and settling. I was so excited that the Apple Store in more recent years had become so much more seemingly open to 3rd party products. This "feels" like an unwelcome reversal.

Still a bit unclear on what is considered a direct competing product as there are many in this category albeit some sub-par ones that Apple continues to sell. I also have to admit knowing very little about portable speaker manufacturers, but why not buy JBL aka Harmon? Or hey... How about also making a deal with Bose as it holds a significant share of the consumer market? Crazy right!!! But I thought we were thinking different here.

I still do not understand the market placement that companies continue to give to Beats, Apple being one in particular. From a user standpoint, I am not impressed. Not sure how it has lasted this long. But I guess image is once again more important than performance. We'll see if that changes but I don't have much hope.
    Forgive me if I have only reinforced your view that I somehow misunderstood this issue or the industry as a whole. I'm just voicing my concerns as a consumer who prefers choice.
    The major difference here is that Apple now owns Beats and the Beats brand. The other companies are simply business partners (as Apple is a reseller).
    10-18-2014 06:57 PM
    In addition to what has been said above, Bose also partnered with the NFL as a sponsor. Part of that sponsorship agreement is the banning of Beats headphones. Players who use Beats headphones publicly will be fined by the NFL.

Colin Kaepernick of San Francisco 49ers fined $10K for Beats by Dre headphones - ESPN

Apple owns Beats. Bose banning Beats is indirectly an attack on Apple. Apple fired back by removing Bose from their stores.
    And this is where I think the removal truly began. Bose said screw you Apple. Apple responded. And the consumer got caught in the middle of their pissing contest. If you don't want to play the game by my rules, then I'm taking my ball and going home.... #nobodywins
    10-18-2014 07:43 PM
    The major difference here is that Apple now owns Beats and the Beats brand. The other companies are simply business partners (as Apple is a reseller).
    This was my point. Why can't the Apple and Bose remain partners? Instead of yet another biggest d*ck contest. I'm tired of it. Please. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    10-18-2014 07:47 PM
    This was my point. Why can't the Apple and Bose remain partners? Instead of yet another biggest d*ck contest. I'm tired of it. Please. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    But you can still buy Bose products from other places...I don't see what the big deal is tbh.
    10-18-2014 07:49 PM
    And this is where I think the removal truly began. Bose said screw you Apple. Apple responded. And the consumer got caught in the middle of their pissing contest. If you don't want to play the game by my rules, then I'm taking my ball and going home.... #nobodywins
    That’s one "take" on the issue.

Another is that Apple is protecting its business interests. Apple does not sell any component in its stores (except for stuff like cases) that competes directly with an Apple product. For example, you can’t buy a Windows computer there, as it competes directly with the Apple Mac brand. Same for phones, tablets, etc. They just extended that to include things like premium headphones. The fact that you are "stuck" with Apple store credit and can’t buy the product that you want is pretty much, just how it goes. But Apple is just protecting its business interests.
    essay2u likes this.
    10-18-2014 07:52 PM
    You’re wrong. Apple owns Beats. They previously sold Bose. That’s a huge difference. Time to build a bridge and get over it.

As Beyond Fire said, Bose speakers/headphones are sold other places, so you will have to get them elsewhere and use your Apple store credit for something else.
    boovish likes this.
    10-18-2014 07:54 PM
    But you can still buy Bose products from other places...I don't see what the big deal is tbh.
    He wanted to use his Apple credit.
    10-18-2014 07:56 PM
    He wanted to use his Apple credit.
    Yeah I missed that part of his post. I have a bad habit of having selective reading lol.
    10-18-2014 07:58 PM
    Yeah I missed that part of his post. I have a bad habit of having selective reading lol.
    Lol, me to sometimes.
    10-18-2014 07:59 PM
    Youre wrong. Apple owns Beats. They previously sold Bose. Thats a huge difference. Time to build a bridge and get over it.

As Beyond Fire said, Bose speakers/headphones are sold other places, so you will have to get them elsewhere and use your Apple store credit for something else.
    Ok. My error in judgment was selling my phone back to Apple. Lesson learned. I'm moving on. Next thread: what's your favorite Bluetooth speaker? Lol

http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/17/the...-in-the-cloud/
    Last edited by essay2u; 10-19-2014 at 01:50 AM.
    10-18-2014 09:12 PM
    Youre wrong. Apple owns Beats. They previously sold Bose. Thats a huge difference. Time to build a bridge and get over it.

There's a bose store directly next to my local Apple store, but my favorite bluetooth speaker is the jambox
    10-19-2014 04:42 PM
    I am one of those customers who got stuck in this dumb corporate war between Apple and Bose. I just traded in my phone with Apple. The reason? So I could use the Apple Store credit to get the Bose speaker. Sadly, the credit arrived one day after Apple decided to pull Bose from the online store and all locations. No notice. Just gone. And all for the sub-par and over-marketed Beats?!?!?!?!!!! What happened to making decisions based on the customer experience Apple? The one thing I despise about Apple and have since the days of Jobs is the "kneel before me" attitude that is played out in litigation and power plays which always end with the customer losing.

Now I have an apple store credit and want to buy nothing there. So... when I called they suggested I try to sell my credit for cash. Thanks for nothing Apple. And just one day after I defended this monopoly on this very same forum....
    Because apple bought beats and they aren't going to sell a competitors product, especially one so closely to the beats brand. Not to mention with everything going on with beats and Bose and the NFL, sadly this is just what happens when companies buy other companies. Just like they stopped selling fitbit as well.
    10-19-2014 06:41 PM
    Because apple bought beats and they aren't going to sell a competitors product, especially one so closely to the beats brand. Not to mention with everything going on with beats and Bose and the NFL, sadly this is just what happens when companies buy other companies. Just like they stopped selling fitbit as well.
    Well, if Fitbit would have allowed Health integration, Apple would have kept them in stores. Rather than do something lots of people would have surely preferred, they decided to be difficult.
    10-19-2014 08:31 PM
    There's a bose store directly next to my local Apple store, but my favorite bluetooth speaker is the jambox
    Yea. I ended up purchasing the Fugoo. Impressive little speaker. Then I went next door to the Bose store and compared it to the Soundlink Mini. (Hilarious side note: all the Bose speakers on display are connected to iPad minis.) It pretty much matched it sound wise but the Fugoo battery is waaaayyy better - at nearly 40 hours. There's the silver lining I guess. I should add that this little quest all started after listening to my friend's Jambox on vacation.
    10-19-2014 08:57 PM
    Well, if Fitbit would have allowed Health integration, Apple would have kept them in stores. Rather than do something lots of people would have surely preferred, they decided to be difficult.
    Agreed. Glad I went with the Up24 several months ago. This is the point I got so worked up about. You invest in hardware - only for the companies to change direction or not play nice somewhere down the road. I would be frustrated if I had chosen the Fitbit.
    10-19-2014 09:01 PM
    This isn't a d*ck swinging contest anymore than Ford refraining from selling Chevys on their new car lots. It would be counter productive for Apple to continue to sell Bose products...not that they aren't worth selling (they are my favorite headphone company by far mind you), but Apple has an investment in Beats...the company that Bose went after like a tiger attacks a jugular. If Microsoft bought out...say...SkullCandy, you'd cease to see any of that product in an Apple store as well. It's business...but for some reason you're taking it personal. Use your credit on something else...and go buy the Bose speaker somewhere else.
    AgentHeracles likes this.
    10-21-2014 01:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD