It's nothing just a small amount of update fee of $49 when I update the system to Yosemite. Parallel knows how to make money! Heard from my friends that same thing happened for server osx.
    Anyone has similar experience?
    10-17-2014 03:15 PM
    That's only for version 8 and below ... They are on Version 10 .. To their defense they are two versions ahead and they are a for profit business. Granted I don't like paying upgrade fee's either however I have found Parallels 10 to dramatically outperform version 8.
    10-17-2014 03:22 PM
    If you use it then really is $49 a lot to get the new version and continue to get support from a developer?

Plus Apple gave you Yosemite for free so you can use that upgrade money to get Parallels 10
    10-17-2014 03:27 PM
    That's only for version 8 and below ... They are on Version 10 .. To their defense they are two versions ahead and they are a for profit business. Granted I don't like paying upgrade fee's either however I have found Parallels 10 to dramatically outperform version 8.
    I know there would be a great performance improvement. Software purchase is usually a one time purchase or pay by year for some cases. Those pay-by-year softwares would state the future cost well at the time of purchase. When I bought Parallel I thought it was a one-time payment. The update fee is just surprisingly amazing.
    10-17-2014 03:31 PM
    I know there would be a great performance improvement. Software purchase is usually a one time purchase or pay by year for some cases. Those pay-by-year softwares would state the future cost well at the time of purchase. When I bought Parallel I thought it was a one-time payment. The update fee is just surprisingly amazing.
    It is a one-time payment - for the version that you licensed. If you want the new version, you have to pay the license fee to get/use it. The solution is to not upgrade and keep using the version that you already have. You get to choose.
    10-17-2014 03:40 PM
    If you use it then really is $49 a lot to get the new version and continue to get support from a developer?

Plus Apple gave you Yosemite for free so you can use that upgrade money to get Parallels 10
    You're right that $49 is not a lot. Just Parallel didn't make it clear at the time of purchase for future update cost. That makes me uncomfortable. I'm totally ok for those pay-by-year software cuz I know there would be future cost when I buy it.
    10-17-2014 03:40 PM
    Not just the OP, but I think lots of people have backward expectations. I always expect to pay for software updates and its a pleasant bonus when I don't.
    Trees and RGT70 like this.
    10-17-2014 04:33 PM
    Another way to think of it that you get to run a 2nd OS for $49 on your current hardware with the latest hypervisor features and support. That's good deal in my view. In some aspects, that's almost like getting a 2nd laptop/desktop for $49.

I have used Parallels since version 6.x and think they put out a quality product. I'm still on version 9.x, but haven't needed to fire up my Windows 7 VM in months. May wait awhile to sort out what I'm going to do with my 4+ yr old Mac Mini (runs Parallels) before I update to Parallels 10.

Update: The fact that we (computer users) can even run multiple OS's on the same hardware platform and host OS (in this case OS X) is more than cool. I've been around awhile, and still remember well punch cards, rotary phones, radio, black and white TVs, and other "ancient" technology from the last century (thankfully for the punch cards I was still young enough to not be out of school and into the industry at that time). Not picking on you RGT70. Just trying to help share a broader perspective for how much and how far $49 goes :-) Be happy that we (me included) live in an era where we have such cool stuff
    Last edited by Dog5000; 10-17-2014 at 08:16 PM. Reason: More thoughts.
    RGT70 likes this.
    10-17-2014 08:02 PM