Interesting Vanity Fair article on the relationship between Gates and Ballmer. Can C.E.O. Satya Nadella Save Microsoft? | Vanity Fair

This one quote about Apple really stood out -" Apple, whose share of the technology industrys profits leapt from 7 percent in 2008 to 21 percent in 2013. "

That's not 21% of the smartphone industry's profits or even "just" 21% of the whole cell phone industry's profits, but 21% of the whole technology industry's profits. Holy cow!
    sting7k likes this.
    10-14-2014 10:44 PM
    I read this article and also found it interesting Karen
    10-15-2014 08:00 AM
    I don't see how Microsoft need saving though... They are on every PC in this world..
    falconeight likes this.
    10-15-2014 08:56 AM
    I don't see how Microsoft need saving though... They are on every PC in this world..
    Well one thing the article says is that 10ish years ago they were on 90%+ of all computing devices in the world. Now with the advent of smartphones and tablets they are only on 20% or so of computing devices. But as the article says they are in no immediate danger and are still making tons of profit and have a large cash stockpile as well.
    But the article was interesting to me mainly as the interplay of personality between Gates and Ballmer.
    Speedygi likes this.
    10-15-2014 09:00 AM
    Well one thing the article says is that 10ish years ago they were on 90%+ of all computing devices in the world. Now with the advent of smartphones and tablets they are only on 20% or so of computing devices. But as the article says they are in no immediate danger and are still making tons of profit and have a large cash stockpile as well.
    But the article was interesting to me mainly as the interplay of personality between Gates and Ballmer.
    Yup, I agree.
    10-15-2014 09:00 AM
    Microsoft gets large amounts of money for every android sold. They are doing just fine. What they do need is a product that is industry leading. Like one phone with maximum support and not all of these shotgun blasts that seem to miss the target very time.
    10-15-2014 01:21 PM
    Microsoft gets large amounts of money for every android sold. They are doing just fine. What they do need is a product that is industry leading. Like one phone with maximum support and not all of these shotgun blasts that seem to miss the target very time.
    They won't ever get the developer support they need because they are really just a minor platform... It's been normal, what's happening.
    10-15-2014 11:21 PM
    They won't ever get the developer support they need because they are really just a minor platform... It's been normal, what's happening.
    They had a great platform when they released WP7. It was intuitive, different, pretty, and if they would have stuck to it then they would probably have more sales. WP8 has lost a lot of the appeal that WP7 had.
    10-15-2014 11:38 PM