Negative perception of Apple.

anon(4067838)

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
What, for randomly rebooting phones, double letter typing phones, no ecosystem, OS updates delayed through carriers so you have to load leaks that wreak havoc with your device, contacts lists multiplying like overly amorous Tribbles, resorting to loading up on another platform's unsupported apps?

No thanks.....

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Lol, I've had NONE of the issues you speak of! (This was posted due to my previous posts being "held for moderation")

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Tried to respond to some comments on here, but for some reason they are bein blocked. Is "BlackBerry" a dirty word here?

No. Blackberry is not a dirty word here at iMore. In fact, many of us are former Blackberry users, myself included. Anyway, Please note that iMore has security measures in place to "randomly" select posts to be placed in moderation (subject to review by our moderators) for a limited time in an effort to protect our members and the integrity of the forums. That is why some of your posts were not immediately available for viewing. Anyway, take care and enjoy the rest of your evening...:)

anon(4067838)

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
No. Blackberry is not a dirty word here at iMore. In fact, many of us are former Blackberry users, myself included. Anyway, Please note that iMore has security measures in place to "randomly" select posts to be placed in moderation (subject to review by our moderators) for a limited time in an effort to protect our members and the integrity of the forums. That is why some of your posts were not immediately available for viewing. Anyway, take care and enjoy the rest of your evening...:)

Ok so there is hope that they may be posted yet. There was nothing offensive in them, was just replying to OP that the issues she was reporting, I've had no issues with whatsoever. I didn't come here to vent or hate on Apple, I have an iPad myself, and being a member on Crackberry I came here to see the latest issues with iOS8 and subsequent updates. Most of my family are pro Apple, I must be the BLACK sheep (lol, no pun intended) of the Family as I am as Black as Blackberry can be. I can accept that each person is an individual and each has their own phone of choice.
In saying that there must have been something in my posts that rang alarm bells for it to be "held back for review", but buggered if I know what is so offensive. Sorry if anyone was offended!
Just noticed that my posts "passed" moderation, see a few posts above.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what your are on about?
1) my Z10 & now Z 30 have never had rebooting issues
My Z10 rebooted constantly on 10.0. It stopped for s while after 10.1. However, it began again after a few months. This rebooting issue is well documented in Crackberry. I never got a Z30 because it was never launched on AT&T.
2) double letter typing? Never had this issue either.
It happened to my Q10 and it is s well documented issue on Crackberry.
3) no ecosystem? What, you mean like being locked into Apple? Rofl
No native cloud services and a nearly abandoned BBW, an abandoned tablet, no desktop integration, a dysfunctional desktop manager, no media family sharing manager.
4) OS updates? Mine have been available OTA as soon as released by Blackberry, I don't load leaks, no need as I am patient enough to wait for official release. Although good that the option is there, can you do that with an Apple that isn't jail broken?
OS updates take months to come through the carriers. The only option to resolve problems like bricking, nuking, and rebooting is to get either leaked OSs or official OSs from other carriers which means a desktop install. There is no uniformity of OS so it is a search for what may or may not resolve a specific OS problem, often finding that while one problem is fixed another takes its place.
5) contact list duplicating? Maybe for some but I only sync with my hotmail account, so no issues here.
It is a constant issue which I've dealt with on both my Q10 and my Z10 and is also well documented on Crackberry.
6) unsupported apps? If you are referring to Amazon App Store, is it not supported? Great to have an additional App Store for those that require it, personally, I stick with native Blackberry apps.
Android apps are available for Blackberry in the Amazon Appstore and the vast majority are not optimised for BlackBerry devices. Additionally, I have not read of an official statement from Android developers or Google that they will support the apps in the Amazon Appstore so those who load them find, as I did, that they are laggy, old versions of those that are in the Play Store. Additionally Google Play Services are not supported for BlackBerry. Additionally, in view of old, buggy, laggy Amazon AppStore apps, users resort to lifting APKs to load on Blackberry devices, also unsupported by Android devs or Google.
Seems to me you have given Blackberry the flick! But sincerely hope you are happy with your new phone, personally I can't wait to get my hands on the Passport!

I have in fact given up on BlackBerry. It is unfortunate because I really loved my Q10. However, I loaded 10.3 and I hate the UI. Additionally, while I might overlook the UI, Blackberry is now actively promoting Android apps. I see no reason to buy one platform only to run buggy, old, unsupported, unoptimised apps from another. I use Android apps on an Android device supporting Google Play services and with full dev support. I respect devs too much to lift their apps to use them in a manner inconsistent with their terms.
Enjoy your Passport.
I will enjoy my iPhone 6, my Lumia 1520, and the upcoming Note 4.

Vic Rivera

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
This whole bend gate is really really annoying. You really got to be placing stress on that phone or any other phone to damage it.

Did you see how the hands were shaking when he or others were bending it. That is a lot of force and if you are placing that much force on your phone, then you should stick to a beeper or landline.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Of course. But the fanbois need something. So in the absence of substance they create drama and use hyperbole. And congratulate themselves on their own perception of wit.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Tried to respond to some comments on here, but for some reason they are bein blocked. Is "BlackBerry" a dirty word here?

Oh how adorable!

You REALLY don't want to get into a phone contest with Q. I'd hazard she's owned more BBs than you.

The issues you are pooh poohing are legit. My two bb10 devices did it. And I owned a storm, so don't even.

Vic Rivera

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Well anyone who wishes to purchase a Passport, there's a sale. Half price.

http://www.emirates247.com/news/git...alf-price-before-midnight-2014-10-04-1.565108

I won't be buying one though. I will stick with Apple products. They work for me regardless what negative perceptions there might be from other platforms' users.

I have a Z30. I'm looking at Apple products now. Doing some homework to see if it what I need.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a Z30. I'm looking at Apple products now. Doing some homework to see if it what I need.

Be brutally honest with yourself about what your needs and wants are. Then seek out the platform that offers it.

Vic Rivera

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Be brutally honest with yourself about what your needs and wants are. Then seek out the platform that offers it.

Exactly!!! Maybe you can help me out. I'm looking for something that works every time. Simple to use and apps that work.

anon(4067838)

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Well anyone who wishes to purchase a Passport, there's a sale. Half price.

http://www.emirates247.com/news/git...alf-price-before-midnight-2014-10-04-1.565108

I won't be buying one though. I will stick with Apple products. They work for me regardless what negative perceptions there might be from other platforms' users.

Thanks for the heads up! Please don't be offended with what I've said. Sorry to hear you have had so much trouble with your Blackberry, but I can honestly say I am totally happy with all the Blackberry phones that I've owned over the last 10 or so years and continue to be impressed with where they are going.
You did mention the lack of desktop support? Have you seen Blend? Not only a desktop version, but compatible across ALL devices.
As for the Playbook, I agree in part. Yes they did abandon it, but I believe it was the stepping stone to the current OS, BB10. I still use my Playbook daily, and in some ways believe it is as good if not better than my iPad.
Like I said previously, each to their own, but it is great for competition that each manufacturer is constantly trying to beat/stay ahead of each other as this makes us, the consumer, the real winners here with some fantastic technology coming out these days.

anon(4067838)

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Oh how adorable!

You REALLY don't want to get into a phone contest with Q. I'd hazard she's owned more BBs than you.

The issues you are pooh poohing are legit. My two bb10 devices did it. And I owned a storm, so don't even.

I wasn't turning this into a contest. Was simply stating that I've not come across the issues she stated. Yes there have been issues as reported on Crackberry, there are also many issues reported about the latest iPhones and software too but does this mean every iPhone user has a bendy phone that has been turned into an iPod due to loss of cellular network? No! But these issues are legit too. Apple is not exempt from issues either you know! As much as you want to believe, Apple is far from perfect.There are good and bad points to EVERY phone. However, I find that BlackBerry does best what I need to do.
As for cloud services, I simply do not trust. I can access any files on my desktop from anywhere, easily and securely, and can save these directly to my 128gb SD card (yes Blackberry has this feature), so no need for cloud services here.
Anyhow, I never came here to bash Apple or its users. Each to their own. Good luck to all of you, no matter what your phone of choice is. Great to see so many fantastic devices from ALL platforms giving us users a real choice what is best for us!!!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Exactly!!! Maybe you can help me out. I'm looking for something that works every time. Simple to use and apps that work.

You've just described my experience with the iPhone.

Here is the thing....I'm all for tinkering with tech. EXCEPT that I expect my tech to work for me instead of me having to work for my tech. What I mean is this - I want a platform that, in a pinch, will allow me to do what I want with a minimum of effort. There may be times when I'm willing to tinker with a different OS or with themes, etc. But when I need my phone to work I want it to W O R K. Not be bricked, not have apps that may or may not work. Not have to attach my computer when I either want or need a new app. For these reasons, I find that my iPhone works best for me.

The last time that I could trust my BlackBerry to be there with no fuss was my 9800. From the 9810 to the Q10, it's been a nervewracking experience of going for a device and finding it with a slow blinking red light and a white screen with a fatal error. JVM Error 517. Or nothing. Dead. Bricked. Nuked. Or have the device in my hand and have it suddenly reboot for no apparent reason while I'm using it.

The iPhone works day one, every day, all day. Apps work day one, every day, all day. I can sync to iCloud wirelessly on Wifi every day OR I can choose to do a local backup to my computer via cable. All the apps are synced to my iPad. All media is synced. Home sharing, family sharing. THAT is a device working FOR me not me having to work for it.

However, you may have other needs that are not the same as mine. Therefore I would not presume to suggest to you that you should get an iPhone. That's the reason I said that you need to be brutally honest with yourself on what you want and need out of a device. Then frequent the forums for that device and ask questions. Then play with the device at a store. I stalked the Apple Store in Pentagon City looooong before I bought my first iPhone. What drew me to my 3GS was the browser. And what keeps me coming back is that it's never, never, NOT ONCE let me down.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only person who thinks that U2 album was good? And I don't even like U2 but I like that first song

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up! Please don't be offended with what I've said. Sorry to hear you have had so much trouble with your Blackberry, but I can honestly say I am totally happy with all the Blackberry phones that I've owned over the last 10 or so years and continue to be impressed with where they are going.
You did mention the lack of desktop support? Have you seen Blend? Not only a desktop version, but compatible across ALL devices.
As for the Playbook, I agree in part. Yes they did abandon it, but I believe it was the stepping stone to the current OS, BB10. I still use my Playbook daily, and in some ways believe it is as good if not better than my iPad.
Like I said previously, each to their own, but it is great for competition that each manufacturer is constantly trying to beat/stay ahead of each other as this makes us, the consumer, the real winners here with some fantastic technology coming out these days.

I'm not offended because my device is not a personal attachment. It is something I choose to use and which I absolutely love to use because it works for me. However, I am not emotionally attached nor am I personally identified with it.

The troubles I had with BlackBerry devices began with my 9810 and ended last Wednesday when I finally got so frustrated I actually looked for the hammer to smash the thing. I actually *looked* for the hammer. Had I found it I would have smashed it. Luckily I didn't find it, because that means that I can use it to partially fund my Note 4. So my relationship with BlackBerry which began with my first work issued device in January 2004 ended with a flash of rage born out of frustration in October 2014.
Desktop manager, Link, is a disaster. And Blend is not an acceptable solution for me because it does nothing more than share files across devices and desktop, but the file remains on the device. So.....given BlackBerry's penchant for producing self destructing phones, my files would remain on the device. Not a solution with a bricked or rebooting device. And while I have not used a Passport, my history up to the Q10 is that BlackBerry devices brick with alarming frequency. Which is the reason I went through three personal 99xx series devices.
As far as the Playbook, it was a beta product sold as a production device. I got one and got rid of it within two weeks and got myself an iPad. My iPad just got updated to iOS8. The Playbook never even saw 2.3. For the money spent, I feel BlackBerry misused early adopters.
As far as your last sentence, I do agree with you. Competition is fantastic and for that reason I wish BlackBerry well, even if it will be a very long time indeed before I ever spend another penny in any on their products.

For the record, here is my BlackBerry history:

Beginning in 2004 they were work issued
8703e - this phone marked the point when I got my personal BlackBerry, leaving my personal HTC Tilt which was my last Windows 6.5 phone

Personal beginning in 2007
9700 - this was my entry into iPhones. I still bought BlackBerry devices. But I was hooked on the browser.
9900 - I bought two of these phones, both of which bricked. The device I turned to was my iPhone 4s which was still *WORKING* in my bag and which I used while I continued to attempt to use BlackBerry phones
Z10 -By this point I was using my iPhones 5 and later 5s as my primary device but kept BlackBerry out of loyalty to a brand that was becoming increasingly more untrustworthy
Q10 - Possibly my last BlackBerry for a very long while, if not my last BlackBerry ever

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only person who thinks that U2 album was good? And I don't even like U2 but I like that first song

I L O V E D the U2 album. The day when the whole brouhaha broke I commuted to work blasting everything from Boy to the new album. By the time I got to the Metro my throat was sore.:rotfl: