As for the Playbook, I agree in part. Yes they did abandon it, but I believe it was the stepping stone to the current OS, BB10. I still use my Playbook daily, and in some ways believe it is as good if not better than my iPad.
    The reason why the Playbook was abandoned was because RIM (at the time) didn't even want to make a tablet. They were more interested and working on that computer-like device that you could tether your blackberry to and basically have a bigger display and keyboard to work with. When the iPad was announced, they scrapped it and started scrambling with getting a tablet out because they were scared as hell about it. They ended up trailing even more to Apple than they had already been trailing.

In some ways it may have been better than an iPad. But just to further my point about what a scramble and desperation move the Playbook was; the thing didn't even have a native email client. The company that brought you Blackberries (Blackberry's?) didn't have a native email client for their tablet!
    10-09-2014 02:19 AM
    Not having a email native is an unfinished product. Why would they do that.

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    10-09-2014 06:28 PM
    Not having a email native is an unfinished product. Why would they do that.

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    Because Canada...
    10-09-2014 07:38 PM
    Because Canada...
    Hey now don't be talking about Canada. 😜
    10-09-2014 07:43 PM
    Hey now don't be talking about Canada.
    Okay okay
    HAWK likes this.
    10-09-2014 08:14 PM
    My issues with Apple lately are that they seem rather hipocrytical. Like with that recent Tod bit from Jony I've talking about how mad he is about xiaomi copying Apple's style. I'm sorry, but Apple has copied a ton of stuff from poo others over the years, you don't get to be mad when someone then does it to you.
    10-09-2014 10:27 PM
    There aren't "too many issues"...there are the same type of "issues" there always are when new devices come out, and the media/online communities/blogs are going ape sh*t about it and it's spreading like wild fire. Apple changed the iPhone dramatically this time around, so there's more attention again...and guess what? With more attention comes more attention on these issues.

Livestream fail? Blame the 3rd party company who was doing the actual international stream...if you paid attention during the issues, there were up signal lock screens showing information about the company providing streaming services...Apple wasn't doing this themselves, they simply gave permission for it to be done).

Miscalculated U2 ploy? It was only a ploy to those uninterested in the album...I have no proof of it, but I'd guess a majority of people either didn't care at all or were stoked to get a free album from a legendary band (that I personally cannot stand, lol!)

Pre-Order blunders? By 'blunders', do you mean people who didn't get their pre-order in on time and had to wait for their device? Because that's not a blunder, and from personal experience, the pre-order went just fine (all things considered when 4 million people were going after the same thing at the same time...ever seen Walmart on Black Friday? Yeah...this aint a cake walk we're talking here. Apple did just fine...just look at the number shipped/sold on release day.

Bendgate? Give me a break. A literal drip in the ocean in terms of % of people having trouble with a bending device. And Apple, because of their strive to maintain customer satisfaction, immediately gave them replacement devices...most companies in the world would have told them to hit a treadmill and stop eating twinkies.

iOS 8.0.1? This is the only one I can give you a pass on...the release of this firmware update in the state it was in was either an accidental release, or a complete blunder on their part...either way, they snapped it back before too much damage was done.

...so 1 out of 5 were legitimate complaints. Color me surprised.
    None of what you think matters. Public mood is what matters. You're just a geek like me on a smartphone forum. Tech companies live and die outside of what you and I think. Samsung took a massive hit this year for failing to realize that everyone else was getting sick of their non premium feeling hardware shortcuts and awful touchwiz. They pushed their luck too far so It was bound to happen. Karma is a b*tch as the saying goes.
    Apple thought that they could be forgiven and depend on the branding cult forever too and are yet another victim of their own hubris. You guys didn't seriously think that Apple and Samsung were going to be the top contenders forever and ever amen did you? Lol. That's not how the tech industry works.

Lots of people seem to forget these leaders have only held their positions for a few short years and that the companies they overtook were there for just as short a time. Give it a few more years and crackberry will disappear off of the list of Mobile Nations set of mobile sites just like WebOS did, Windows Phone will fill in as the next in line to be the new crackberry, and iMore will be the next Windows Phone Central.
    10-10-2014 01:42 AM
    None of what you think matters. Public mood is what matters. You're just a geek like me on a smartphone forum. Tech companies live and die outside of what you and I think. Samsung took a massive hit this year for failing to realize that everyone else was getting sick of their non premium feeling hardware shortcuts and awful touchwiz. They pushed their luck too far so It was bound to happen. Karma is a b*tch as the saying goes.
    Apple thought that they could be forgiven and depend on the branding cult forever too and are yet another victim of their own hubris. You guys didn't seriously think that Apple and Samsung were going to be the top contenders forever and ever amen did you? Lol. That's not how the tech industry works.

Lots of people seem to forget these leaders have only held their positions for a few short years and that the companies they overtook were there for just as short a time. Give it a few more years and crackberry will disappear off of the list of Mobile Nations set of mobile sites just like WebOS did, Windows Phone will fill in as the next in line to be the new crackberry, and iMore will be the next Windows Phone Central.
    I'm curious as to who you think is going to come in and sink Apple or Samsung to Windows phone status... Or even worse blackberry. Not in a stand off kind of way I'm legitimately curious as to who you think has that kind of power in the tech world to overturn the two biggest Giants right now.?
    10-10-2014 01:58 AM
    Well he is right. Nobody stays on top forever. Really who thought that Apple would reinvent the phone in 2007? Apple was a much smaller company in terms of products. And look at it now....the iPhone and the iPad reinvented those markets.
    But everything is cyclical.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    10-10-2014 03:42 AM
    Well he is right. Nobody stays on top forever. Really who thought that Apple would reinvent the phone in 2007? Apple was a much smaller company in terms of products. And look at it now....the iPhone and the iPad reinvented those markets.
    But everything is cyclical.

Nothing lasts forever but to see Apple and Samsung hit Windows phone status.... I'd be curious to see how or when that could happen.

There's been a few companies that reigned dominant in their respected fields that haven't been replaced Coke and Pepsi being a perfect example. But in general your right most things come to an end.
    10-10-2014 03:49 AM
    But what would the Phone have to be like that would end that dominance?

It would have to be some kind of phone with teleportation and Star Trek replicator technology on-board

😜
    10-10-2014 03:51 AM
    I'm all in on a phone that can teleport me to work in order to avoid the 270 twice a day.

It's really not so much a matter of looks. It's really what's the next innovation jump.

10-10-2014 03:54 AM
    I'm all in on a phone that can teleport me to work in order to avoid the 270 twice a day.

It's really not so much a matter of looks. It's really what's the next innovation jump.

That's exactly it! It's the same with transportation and the car, what is the next innovation? The same with the phone what would be the next big thing?
    10-10-2014 03:56 AM
    I actually think that we're in the middle of the next jump but we don't recognise it as such. People who lived in WWI did not refer to it as such. It was The Great War. Only in retrospect was it called WWI.
    Similarly, I think we're seeing the phone becoming the central control of what we do. You see it in Apple. Home kit. Health kit. Apple Pay. Not saying Apple is singularly engaged in this. There are others too. But I think this is the next push. We will look back and point to the time that the phone became less about phone calls and more as a single point of coordination and management of what we do.

HAWK likes this.
    10-10-2014 04:22 AM
    I think you are right in all of your points. I think it will be about staying in control of different aspects of what we do and manage in our homes and work etc.
    10-10-2014 04:58 AM
    My issues with Apple lately are that they seem rather hipocrytical. Like with that recent Tod bit from Jony I've talking about how mad he is about xiaomi copying Apple's style. I'm sorry, but Apple has copied a ton of stuff from poo others over the years, you don't get to be mad when someone then does it to you.
    And yet everyone has ultimately copied the touchscreen which Apple innovated so by your logic every single company in the smartphone landscape has copied Apple. There is taking great ideas that your competition has and including them in your own smartphone to make them competitive and then there is making a clone like the Galaxy S2 or the Xiaomi. Hell, look at this Android article: Cult of Android - 7 things copycat Xioami blatantly ripped off from Apple and you decide. This is just a few examples.
    10-10-2014 06:22 AM
    And yet everyone has ultimately copied the touchscreen which Apple innovated so by your logic every single company in the smartphone landscape has copied Apple. There is taking great ideas that your competition has and including them in your own smartphone to make them competitive and then there is making a clone like the Galaxy S2 or the Xiaomi. Hell, look at this Android article: Cult of Android - 7 things copycat Xioami blatantly ripped off from Apple and you decide. This is just a few examples.
    I do feel innovation can never happen in a vacuum, ideas are there to spawn innovation. I think Jony Ive just says what he wants to say about Xiaomi, but everyone has an opinion...
    10-10-2014 06:30 AM

270 twice a day! Ouch.
    10-10-2014 07:48 AM
    I actually think that we're in the middle of the next jump but we don't recognise it as such. People who lived in WWI did not refer to it as such. It was The Great War. Only in retrospect was it called WWI.
    Similarly, I think we're seeing the phone becoming the central control of what we do. You see it in Apple. Home kit. Health kit. Apple Pay. Not saying Apple is singularly engaged in this. There are others too. But I think this is the next push. We will look back and point to the time that the phone became less about phone calls and more as a single point of coordination and management of what we do.

Good points there.
    qbnkelt likes this.
    10-10-2014 09:53 AM
    270 twice a day! Ouch.
    Tell me about it. It's brutal.

10-10-2014 10:01 AM
    I sometimes get the feeling that the pressure to be innovative is higher on the Apple "haters" than on the Apple developers. They have to bend, blend or demolish the iPhones and who knows what, just to get a view clicks on youtube.
    10-10-2014 10:47 AM
    I sometimes get the feeling that the pressure to be innovative is higher on the Apple "haters" than on the Apple developers. They have to bend, blend or demolish the iPhones and who knows what, just to get a view clicks on youtube.
    And they hang on to every perceived flaw or problem. There are some supposedly BlackBerry enthusiast fan sites that talk more about Apple than BlackBerry. It's a strange phenomenon.

mikeo007 likes this.
    10-10-2014 11:45 AM
    And they hang on to every perceived flaw or problem. There are some supposedly BlackBerry enthusiast fan sites that talk more about Apple than BlackBerry. It's a strange phenomenon.

It's amazing how they can claim to be fans when they spend more time putting something else down.
    10-10-2014 01:11 PM
    It's amazing how they can claim to be fans when they spend more time putting something else down.
    I find that odd too. Samesung's adverts spend more time talking about apple's products than their own. Free advertising!!
    10-11-2014 12:36 AM
    No. Blackberry is not a dirty word here at iMore. In fact, many of us are former Blackberry users, myself included. Anyway, Please note that iMore has security measures in place to "randomly" select posts to be placed in moderation (subject to review by our moderators) for a limited time in an effort to protect our members and the integrity of the forums. That is why some of your posts were not immediately available for viewing. Anyway, take care and enjoy the rest of your evening...
    Speak for yourself

I have been a Blackberry administrator for years and just this past year I finally pushed all the Blackberries out of the environment. Back end Blackberry management was the worst.

Of course, I am kidding about the speak for touted thing. As I am glad I don't have to administer Blackberries anymore, there are a lot of cool devices, heck I use the original Playbook as my desk clock at work .

We love all mobile users here on Mobile Nations, no matter what your device preferance is.
    Just_Me_D and pr1nce like this.
    10-11-2014 09:55 AM
96 1234