Negative perception of Apple.

ktaifan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
1. iPhone event livestream fail. By the time it came back online for me, the iPhone was long past announced.
2. Miscalculated U2 ploy.
3. Pre-order blunders, with Apple's online store inaccessible for greater than an hour.
4. Bendgate.
5. iOS 8.0.1

I'm not a fanboy of anything, but I am a fan of Apple since the iPhone 4 being my first smartphone, then getting the 5, and now the 6.

I am a satisfied customer so far of the 6, but all these mishaps have given me an increasingly negative image of Apple as a whole. First world problems yes, but since Apple loves to share their customer satisfaction ratings, I feel I can voice my current thoughts in relation to that. I always had the confidence that Apple knew what they were doing, that everything they did was so deliberate and carefully thought out, but this seems to be too many issues in such a short amount of time.

iOS 8.0.1 was the icing on the cake- how the heck did something like that release? As I saw on someone's tweet- forget showing us the lab where they stress tested the iPhones, show us where they tested 8.0.1

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
1. iPhone event livestream fail. By the time it came back online for me, the iPhone was long past announced.
3. Pre-order blunders, with Apple's online store inaccessible for greater than an hour.
4. Bendgate.
5. iOS 8.0.1

I'm not a fanboy of anything, but I am a fan of Apple since the iPhone 4 being my first smartphone, then getting the 5, and now the 6.

I am a satisfied customer so far of the 6, but all these mishaps have given me an increasingly negative image of Apple as a whole. First world problems yes, but since Apple loves to share their customer satisfaction ratings, I feel I can voice my current thoughts in relation to that. I always had the confidence that Apple knew what they were doing, that everything they did was so deliberate and carefully thought out, but this seems to be too many issues in such a short amount of time.

iOS 8.0.1 was the icing on the cake- how the heck did something like that release? As I saw on someone's tweet- forget showing us the lab where they stress tested the iPhones, show us where they tested 8.0.1

Not sure that it really matters at this point, but I did read that the "quality control manager" responsible for iOS 8.0.1 is the same guy who was QC manager for Apple Maps.

Apple’s IPhone Software Snafu Has Links to Flawed Maps - Bloomberg

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There aren't "too many issues"...there are the same type of "issues" there always are when new devices come out, and the media/online communities/blogs are going ape sh*t about it and it's spreading like wild fire. Apple changed the iPhone dramatically this time around, so there's more attention again...and guess what? With more attention comes more attention on these issues.

Livestream fail? Blame the 3rd party company who was doing the actual international stream...if you paid attention during the issues, there were up signal lock screens showing information about the company providing streaming services...Apple wasn't doing this themselves, they simply gave permission for it to be done).

Miscalculated U2 ploy? It was only a ploy to those uninterested in the album...I have no proof of it, but I'd guess a majority of people either didn't care at all or were stoked to get a free album from a legendary band (that I personally cannot stand, lol!)

Pre-Order blunders? By 'blunders', do you mean people who didn't get their pre-order in on time and had to wait for their device? Because that's not a blunder, and from personal experience, the pre-order went just fine (all things considered when 4 million people were going after the same thing at the same time...ever seen Walmart on Black Friday? Yeah...this aint a cake walk we're talking here. Apple did just fine...just look at the number shipped/sold on release day.

Bendgate? Give me a break. A literal drip in the ocean in terms of % of people having trouble with a bending device. And Apple, because of their strive to maintain customer satisfaction, immediately gave them replacement devices...most companies in the world would have told them to hit a treadmill and stop eating twinkies.

iOS 8.0.1? This is the only one I can give you a pass on...the release of this firmware update in the state it was in was either an accidental release, or a complete blunder on their part...either way, they snapped it back before too much damage was done.

...so 1 out of 5 were legitimate complaints. Color me surprised.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
4. Bendgate.
5. iOS 8.0.1

Sh!t happens. That's life.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Was I irritated with the live streaming issues during the keynote? Yes, but I also get irritated when Netflix, Hulu Plus, ESPN, etc., have streaming issues.

2. Did I get upset when Apple gifted us with a FREE U2 album? Nope. In fact, I was thankful and appreciative of the gesture.

3. Pre-order blunders? You do realize that many of those blunders are caused by customers trying to cheat the system. Some order multiple times from various retailers to see who would deliver the fastest and then try to cancel the other orders. This happens years after year so I don't consider it a blunder.

4. Bendgate? This isn't even worth a response.

5. How many updates and security fixes do computers, smartphones and software have to install year round? This is no different.

Result? My impression of Apple has not changed one bit, but that's Just Me, D...:)

Last edited:

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Oddly enough, after updating my iPad and iTouch to IOS 8 I haven't had a single issue, save for the mistakes I make because I'm techno challenged. This is really weird considering that my problems with IOS a 7 were so bad it caused me to leave Apple for a while.

But, as stated above, I have discovered that in most cases, the issues happen because of people's actions. The so called bending problem is a perfect example. Phones were never meant to me shoved into a tight pocket and sat on for hours, lol. If you did the same with your glasses, would you blame the eye glass manufacturers for the consequences?

Lesawags

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
One question... Why do you care what people think?? Are you happy with your 6... Yes, who cares then?? Enjoy the phone and let Apple worry about what people think.

Issa-7

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
the consumer reports has good result concerning the iphone 6 plus bend test,check it out,the bendgate was just a drama.the verge say the iphone 6 is the best smartphone you gotta to check it out too,and the iphone 6 plus is the best iphone ever the latest comes from me.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
4. Bendgate.
5. iOS 8.0.1

Adding a prehistoric (before there were smartphones and the internet) take on this:
1. Read about it in industry trade magazine (maybe weeks later), or next day newspaper - if your local newspaper covered such events. If lucky, actually travel to the event in person.
2. Go to the local music store and buy a record, or mail order from a catalog.
3. Mail or phone order from a catalog and wait, or drive to a store and hope they weren't already sold out.
4. Call support and hope for a replacement (if issue was proved valid) in weeks (involved getting a return box, boxing up device, shipping it, waiting for new replacement); or drive to a repair depot to negate the return shipping steps. If product was not defective, get the same product back.
5. Go to a local store (if there was one) and hope they could fix it, or go to Step 4.

I share the above not in an attempt to negate your perspective and feelings about the recent events; but rather to echo to myself how much I've forgotten how good we have it today with current technology. Current technology can bring with it its own share of problems and imperfections (as you captured in the list).

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Come to the dark side........BlackBerry of course!

What, for randomly rebooting phones, double letter typing phones, no ecosystem, OS updates delayed through carriers so you have to load leaks that wreak havoc with your device, contacts lists multiplying like overly amorous Tribbles, resorting to loading up on another platform's unsupported apps?

No thanks.....

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Just curious...I have a few of those myself from trips to that region. Not every day you see someone post a Yak reference.

anon(4067838)

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
What, for randomly rebooting phones, double letter typing phones, no ecosystem, OS updates delayed through carriers so you have to load leaks that wreak havoc with your device, contacts lists multiplying like overly amorous Tribbles, resorting to loading up on another platform's unsupported apps?

No thanks.....

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Not sure what your are on about?
1) my Z10 & now Z 30 have never had rebooting issues
2) double letter typing? Never had this issue either.
3) no ecosystem? What, you mean like being locked into Apple? Rofl
4) OS updates? Mine have been available OTA as soon as released by Blackberry, I don't load leaks, no need as I am patient enough to wait for official release. Although good that the option is there, can you do that with an Apple that isn't jail broken?
5) contact list duplicating? Maybe for some but I only sync with my hotmail account, so no issues here.
6) unsupported apps? If you are referring to Amazon App Store, is it not supported? Great to have an additional App Store for those that require it, personally, I stick with native Blackberry apps.
Seems to me you have given Blackberry the flick! But sincerely hope you are happy with your new phone, personally I can't wait to get my hands on the Passport!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73