Considering the switch to iPhone...

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I've been a long time Android user but I'm just about fed up with the "experience". Can you guys help me out with some questions?

One of my chief complaints with Android is the lack of app optimization. Is this any better with Apple? I assume it is just due to the way they are set up.

How about battery drain issues? I know the iPhone battery isn't the best but my HTC M7 is to the point of almost having to charge twice a day with moderate usage and I have no idea what is causing it. I thought it was an app or recent HTC update but I really am not sure I want to reload my phone just to find out. Is this as big of an issue with Apple devices? A few years ago we were assigned iPads for work and those things could go for DAYS without needing a charge with light usage. I'm not expecting that from a phone but a full day on heavy/moderate usage would be nice. Android phones just seem to suffer from battery and OS issues too quickly after purchase (I mean, seriously, I've had this phone for a year and a half) and I am wondering if iDevices can get more mileage out of them.

Those are my main complaints because as far as I'm concerned iOS and Android are essentially two sides of the same coin now and I don't have a huge investment in the Google ecosystem aside from Gmail and Hangouts. Is this just a case of greener grass on the other side or does Apple for the most part do a better job with these things?

I'd like to hear from those who made the switch recently from a nicer Android device to a 5s or 6/6+. I like my One OK but the battery drain/buggy OS and terrible non-Google app performance is just not worth it to me any longer if iOS really is better. Is there anything I'm not considering? Any input would be appreciated!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Many of us have switched from other platforms to iOS, and many of us were accustomed to things we thought we couldn't live without. Having said that, a good deal of us have come to find iOS to be exactly what we needed. It's not for everyone, however. Now, battery drainage, how well apps perform and stuff like that is subjective and depends on how the user use his or her device. Some of us can go all day on a charge with moderate to heavy use whereas others cannot. Apps run great, but if you have a 16 Gb model with less than a gig of storage left, the apps may not run quite as smoothly so again, it depends on the individual user. Anyway, apps are plentiful and support is outstanding. With that in mind, you're going to have to decide whether you want to make the switch and invest in the Apple ecosystem or not. There are no guarantees that you will be happy making the switch, but if sales numbers are an indication, chances are you may very well find the iPhone to be to your liking. Good luck with your decision.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Do it, do it, DO EEEEET!!! :D

Get the 6 or the 6 plus with 64 GB or more. Some have to tweak their settings a bit for better battery life, and today I spoke with an Apple Care guy who recommended "breaking in" a new phone by letting the battery drain completely and then charging it to 100% 3 times in a row to maximize battery life.

I've had Motorola Droids and several Samsung Galaxies, I've had Blackberry... I just got back with IOS.

All my devices are connected, the apps are smooth and work well, the customer service I've been getting is superb.
No more headaches.
My phone is efficient, fast, and fun to use.

And I get zero of the android/google nonsense I used to get. ;)

MilliwaysPub

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I went from the HTC One (M7) to the iPhone 6 a few days ago and I couldn't imagine using that phone again. The battery was horrible. At this point in the day I would be down around 15-20% battery life and right now with my iPhone 6 I am at 55%.

Before switching back to the HTC One I was using the Lumia 1020. Windows Phone doesn't even begin to compare. As for Android...I have been a long time Android user. I still enjoy Android and won't become an Android hater anytime soon but the iPhone 6 and iOS 8 are a very worth competitor.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to iMore, you have indeed found the right forum.

The land of iOS is ripe with high quality third party apps, shutter free scrolling, and (for me at least, your usage may vary) a battery that easily lasts the day. Or if it doesn't the last the day it was because the day was really heavy and you were actually using it and will know why you drained the battery.

I want to reiterate the exceptional quality of third party apps on iOS. Also don't feel like you need to buy all Apple just because you get an iPhone.

What else bugs you about Android? Your first two complaints are in my top 5 Android complaints. Also note, if you really like to customize your phone you will be missing out on that. As well as Android style widgets on the home screen, which I know many people like.

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
What else bugs you about Android? Your first two complaints are in my top 5 Android complaints. Also note, if you really like to customize your phone you will be missing out on that. As well as Android style widgets on the home screen, which I know many people like.
I actually very much dislike widgets for the most part and I opt to use mostly an icon grid/folder set up with a small handful of useful widgets (such as Google Music, Google Now, and the calculator app). To me the vast majority widgets are useless and just take up more space on the screen. Why do I need a 2x4 icon that all it really does it open up the app anyway?

Other complaints are relatively minor, but I would like a decent camera phone for once. The M7 is OK but pound for pound I don't know that there is an Android camera that compares well an a consistent basis to the iPhone. Also visually I think iOS8 blows Android out of the water, although this is completely subjective. The other thing I don't like about Android is the availability of accessories. It seems that unless you have a Samsung your options are limited to gimmicky nonsense for the most part. I'm not even saying I'm a fan of the iWatch but at least I know it will be available for use on ALL of the newer iPhones instead of just one brand. I realize it's more of an manufacturing issue than an Android issue but it's still annoying.

My final complaint is the fragmented updates of Android unless you are on a Nexus device. I just don't like the carriers being in charge of updates rather than the manufacturer. With Apple, for better or worse, they are quick with updates and can push them out when they are needed.

My final question is how well is Apple integrated into Google's services? Like is it easy to still keep using Google Music Pass over iTunes and Gmail/Hangouts over iMessage? How about Chrome over Safari? I like most of Google's services but am about done with their OS if that makes sense. Thanks for the replies!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
First, you aren't going to miss any Google services on the iPhone. Google isn't stupid; they support the iPhone with their services via apps. Google Maps, Music, Search (including Google Now), etc. are all on the iPhone and all of the most popular Google services.

Next, LOL. Are you me? We pretty much have the same complaints about Android. I also find the widgets to be unappealing and really just a fancy app shortcut. Why a 2x4 shortcut indeed?

You need an iPhone.

MilliwaysPub

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Other than not being able to sync with Chrome bookmarks I have been very impressed with Safari. I actually like it better than I did Chrome on my HTC.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I own an HTC One M7 as well as an iPhone 5s and iPhone 6. The iPhone 6 is almost exactly the same size as my M7, down to literally a couple of millimetres here and there.

I get outstanding battery from all my phones, the HTC included. However, the apps are way, WAY more polished in iOS than in Android. If you pick the same app across both platforms, it just looks like more time and care has been spent on the iOS version as compared to the Android version for the most part. Some are identical but the iOS ones are just better put together as the developers don't have to worry about hundreds of different screen sizes and internal hardware configurations, just a small number of iPhones instead. Because iOS is less customisable, it means in my experience it is far more stable and reliable than Android.

Don't get me wrong, I love Android for what it can do for me but if I want reliability, stability and a flawless experience, I never reach for my Android device.

annaharris

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I think iPhone 6 or 6 Plus would be better smartphones to switch. They also have the new iOS 8 and its the most superior OS by Apple.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Can you change the default browser from Safari to Chrome yet?

Google's apps open Chrome by default. In addition a large number of other apps will provide an on screen prompt asking if you want to open an external link in Safari or Chrome.

But you cannot set it as a system default. If you sign into Chrome all your Chrome settings will be there.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Google's apps open Chrome by default. In addition a large number of other apps will provide an on screen prompt asking if you want to open an external link in Safari or Chrome.

But you cannot set it as a system default. If you sign into Chrome all your Chrome settings will be there.

My understanding is that you don't actually want your default browser to be Chrome anyway. Apple proprietary software performance is superior to third party equivalents on iOS.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
My understanding is that you don't actually want your default browser to be Chrome anyway. Apple proprietary software performance is superior to third party equivalents on iOS.

This is correct. Chrome is nice and all. But Safari is the only browser on iOS that gets access to Apple's Java Script engine which is very well optimized for iOS devices and performs much better than third party browsers.

Chrome performs fine on iOS. In real world use the you probably won't really notice much difference. It really only shows on the benchmark tests.

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
This is correct. Chrome is nice and all. But Safari is the only browser on iOS that gets access to Apple's Java Script engine which is very well optimized for iOS devices and performs much better than third party browsers.

Chrome performs fine on iOS. In real world use the you probably won't really notice much difference. It really only shows on the benchmark tests.
I am mainly just concerned with bookmark syncing which is one of the only reasons I use Chrome in the first place. Personally, Chrome is not my favorite browser but everyday convenience trumps performance at the moment. I will more than likely be making the switch next month or maybe wait for the revised version of the 6 (6s?). iOS7 really got me interested and the planned iOS8 stuff has pretty much sealed the deal. Is there anything else I should be considering when moving from Android to iPhone as my daily driver?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
That is no longer true with iOS 8. Third party browsers and apps with web views can now use the same JavaScript engine as Apple does in Safari. I don't know though what, if anything, app developers need to do to take advantage of this.

Wow, that's good to know and awesome. Thanks!

A lot of developers have A LOT of work to do updating their apps for iOS 8 and the iPhone 6. So far I've only seen two apps updated for the screen on the iPhone 6. Tons of apps have a lot of wonky things going on right now as well.

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I came over in Sept. from using a Galaxy 4S. I couldn't be happier. My iphone 5s is the best phone I have ever owned. As they say "It just works."

lmws214

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi to all,

I am using Note 4 and quite fed up with the andriod experience, cld u pls advise me what is the safest and fastest efficient way to transfer all my data from samsung note 4 to iphone 6 plus pls?
thanks much
cheers

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox