"Being first isn?t the point, being the best is"

Status
Not open for further replies.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Working in the medical field myself, that device seems to be much less useful than most of the mainstream phones for any practitioner I know.
A relatively small, square screen will be useless for viewing any sort of computerized imaging, and since healthcare information is generally displayed using portals or applications like Citrix and not stored on the device directly, the square screen will also hinder usage of standardized applications like this.

That thing is designed for emails and spreadsheets. It's designed for a CEO who still thinks that carrying a feature-limited device means that he'll be more productive, despite the lack of actual productivity software.

Meanwhile, we're deploying iPads and iPhones all over the place, as tools for a variety of projects. Even Surface pro tablets are starting to creep into usage in some places where more portable power is needed. If they're trying to encroach into the medical world, they're going about it the wrong way.

You will hear soon-ish of yet another government agency trading in BlackBerry devices for Samsung Note.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Working in the medical field myself, that device seems to be much less useful than most of the mainstream phones for any practitioner I know.
A relatively small, square screen will be useless for viewing any sort of computerized imaging, and since healthcare information is generally displayed using portals or applications like Citrix and not stored on the device directly, the square screen will also hinder usage of standardized applications like this.

That thing is designed for emails and spreadsheets. It's designed for a CEO who still thinks that carrying a feature-limited device means that he'll be more productive, despite the lack of actual productivity software.

Meanwhile, we're deploying iPads and iPhones all over the place, as tools for a variety of projects. Even Surface pro tablets are starting to creep into usage in some places where more portable power is needed. If they're trying to encroach into the medical world, they're going about it the wrong way.

Exactly.
When I asked the physicians in my circle their thoughts on the passport, they laughed.
When I brought up the example about the lung X-ray, they retorted, "What about the arms the legs or the spine?

Suffice to say all upgraded to an iPhone 6/6plus. The ones that upgraded to the 6 did so because of one handed use, while the ones that upgraded to the 6+ cited the screen as a primary reason.

Both reasons prove the passport to be ineffective for physicians: lack of one handed use and awkward 1:1 screen.
Not to mention, no enterprise or medical apps and clunky is that lacks integration with third iPads.

The passport will be an epic failure for blackberry.

Chrisy: by any chance is your practice located in Toronto or Waterloo?

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
No, it's a fairly large practice located in the US. Our physicians won't be using them to view X-rays as that's not generally the diagnostic procedure of our practice. I can't see doctors relying on iPhone or iPad screens to view X-rays and diagnose either. They're all too small. Since I work in cardiology, the needs are different. Every practice will have differing needs based on speciality and what EHR they use. We use Intergy, and our cardiologists deal with Echos, EKGs, Nuclear Stress Tests, cardiac PET imaging, heart rate monitors, and event monitors. So, it's not ALL about the screen images. Many of the images scanned into our EHR represent data other than simple X-rays.

Hopefully BlackBerry can get back in the game and move ahead. I don't think Apple innovates, but they improve existing ideas consistently. They seek out the best in other platforms, make it prettier and easy to use. And people like that! Simple is good.

I just think it's funny when someone who's only use Apple products think Apple invented the wheel. When I see a "stolen" feature on a new iOS I can't help but wonder why that feature is praised on iPhone and goes ignored on a Windows phone. I think it's mostly advertisement. I guess.

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
No, it's a fairly large practice located in the US. Our physicians won't be using them to view X-rays as that's not generally the diagnostic procedure of our practice. I can't see doctors relying on iPhone or iPad screens to view X-rays and diagnose either. They're all too small. Since I work in cardiology, the needs are different. Every practice will have differing needs based on speciality and what EHR they use. We use Intergy, and our cardiologists deal with Echos, EKGs, Nuclear Stress Tests, cardiac PET imaging, heart rate monitors, and event monitors. So, it's not ALL about the screen images. Many of the images scanned into our EHR represent data other than simple X-rays.

Hopefully BlackBerry can get back in the game and move ahead. I don't think Apple innovates, but they improve existing ideas consistently. They seek out the best in other platforms, make it prettier and easy to use. And people like that! Simple is good.

I just think it's funny when someone who's only use Apple products think Apple invented the wheel. When I see a "stolen" feature on a new iOS I can't help but wonder why that feature is praised on iPhone and goes ignored on a Windows phone. I think it's mostly advertisement. I guess.

I'm sure you know that BB10 took heavily from WebOS.

As far as making things pretty and simple, I would rather look at an attractive OS than a dark and depressing palette. Additionally, even the most professional user prefers a UI than one that is draining and overly complicated.

Given a choice i would prefer a UI that is a pleasure to use. Apple understands that and nails it.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The level of desperation of some BlackBerry enthusiasts to try to somehow focus away from their abomination of a device is amazing.
http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6-plus/300887-9-customers-case-closed-bend.html

Yup....the phones bend if you do something stupid like FORCE them to bend...DUH....OR put them in your back jeans pocket and sit on it.....DUH...

By the way, I hear sales for the Quasim....er....Passport exceeded expectations. They actually sold 200 THOUSAND units since Wednesday. WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://crackberry.com/over-200000-blackberry-passports-sold-through-amazon-and-shop-blackberry

oh right....Apple sold 200 thousand units in the first sixty minutes....ooops....

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
For the reading pleasure of the holier than thou BlackBerry enthusiasts trying to gloat....don't look now, but there is a picture of a bent Q10 right here...

Reports of bent iPhone 6 aligns with horrible history of bent smartphones

darthvadernooo.jpg

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
The level of desperation of some BlackBerry enthusiasts to try to somehow focus away from their abomination of a device is amazing.
http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6-plus/300887-9-customers-case-closed-bend.html

Yup....the phones bend if you do something stupid like FORCE them to bend...DUH....OR put them in your back jeans pocket and sit on it.....DUH...

By the way, I hear sales for the Quasim....er....Passport exceeded expectations. They actually sold 200 THOUSAND units since Wednesday. WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over 200,000 BlackBerry Passports sold through Amazon and Shop BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

oh right....Apple sold 200 thousand units in the first sixty minutes....ooops....

HaHa. Got your Irish up, huh? :p

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
HaHa. Got your Irish up, huh? :p

It's just SOOOOO *BEGGING* for a good thrashing!!!!!!

And I couldn't eat pizza today at our pizza party and I'm READY for a good fight....see that lonely salad there?!?! That's mine!!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411757798.319847.jpg

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Whatever happened to the BlackBerry Z30? That phone looked promising. I have yet to see one in person, in the wild. Did people buy them?

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I go away for a few days and look what happens. ;)

Glad to see qbnkelt holding the fort though.

Anyway, how's your iPhone 6's doing? Mine's just fab, thanks for asking. Not a blemish, problem or issue in sight. In all that time, my Android phone sitting next to it has had three reboots, seven app crashes, one case of turning the mute function off for no reason and three weird sounds coming from I-know-not-which-app. Good times.

Still, Android has widgets on the home screen and it can be customised, can't it? So that's all right then. Who cares about reliability when you have customisation. CUSTOMISATION, PEOPLE!! My Android phone might be an unreliable POS but at least I can decide where I want to put the Icons. Disaster averted. Phew...

None of my phones are bent though.

As you were.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Whatever happened to the BlackBerry Z30? That phone looked promising. I have yet to see one in person, in the wild. Did people buy them?

Never seen one.

In the last 18 months since the BB10 devices have been out I have seen under a dozen in the wild.

I haven't seen one single solitary Z10. BB10 devices are so rare that I take pictures of them when I see them. Like you would if you saw Nessie.

Oh two of that dozen I've seen in the wild have been mine. Do they count?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I go away for a few days and look what happens. ;)

Glad to see qbnkelt holding the fort though.

Anyway, how's your iPhone 6's doing? Mine's just fab, thanks for asking. Not a blemish, problem or issue in sight. In all that time, my Android phone sitting next to it has had three reboots, seven app crashes, one case of turning the mute function off for no reason and three weird sounds coming from I-know-not-which-app. Good times.

Still, Android has widgets on the home screen and it can be customised, can't it? So that's all right then. Who cares about reliability when you have customisation. CUSTOMISATION, PEOPLE!! My Android phone might be an unreliable POS but at least I can decide where I want to put the Icons. Disaster averted. Phew...

None of my phones are bent though.

As you were.

"CUSTOMISATION, PEOPLE!!"

You owe me half the bottle of Mountain Dew that I sprayed all over the computer screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234